Casement Park … the inevitable question.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Casement Park … the inevitable question.

Post by HammerTime »

Planning permission for the redevelopment of Casement Park was passed today and looks like it is going ahead as an exremely impressive 38,000 all seater.

So…the inevitable question(s).

Hypothetical situation. If, in a few years time Ulster draw Leinster/Munster in a HEC (if it is exists!) quarter final at home. What do we do?

A few years back we were getting averages of 6-7000 a game. Now we are selling out every game at c13-14k. UR rugby is growing and will continue to do so. We are set up financially as good, if not better than any other Province. (Thomond debt and RDS rent & also both pay a large rents for training base to UCD and UL respectively. We have none of these outgoings.

Would you be in favour of switching a q/f, or indeed s/f to the new Casement Park?
Would you feel comfortable going to Andersonstown to watch Ulster play?
Would the local residents of Andytown welcome Ulster rugby supporters to West Belfast?
Would Ulster GAA allow it to happen?
What would the IRFU think considering that they would be keen to stage the q/f or s/f at the Aviva? $$$

There is nothing better than being crammed in to Ravers for a big European game, the atmosphere is second to none. 18k is about perfect for what we need, but to have such an arena only a few miles away for a huge (and rare) match raises a new predicament. We took 42k to Dublin for a s/f. Possibly 10's of thousands would be disappointed if such a game ever comes up. Especially as it's taxpayers money, and it to be by far the biggest stadium in NI, it is in a way the de-facto NI national stadium. It would be almost criminal to not even consider it for limited use IMO.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: Casement Park … the inevitable question.

Post by againstthehead »

I think 1st choice will always be the fortress. HEC semi-finals could be a different story. I'd have no issue with casement and I doubt the locals would either.

I'd imagine the IRFU would be pressuring Ulster to play such games at the Aviva and I'd say that would be the decisive factor.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The growth will flatten out and if peformances drop off, so will the crowds. If the growth continues, the corners can be filled in.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Think they said the corners might be filled in if Ireland gets the 2023 World Cup. Is it even possible though there is a property beside the War Memorial that is right in the way of the footprint of any filling at that corner, by a long way as well. The rest of the corners could be filled no bother.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Yes for "neutral" semi finals
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Makes sense to have 2 stadia available with different capacities.

If there was any sense, the Aviva and Croke Park would also both be utilised for all sports.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

No to switching a QF, yes to switching a SF - only because we have to!
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Humph will be on the blower as soon as the workmen are finished.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I;m sure Andersontown has enough fellas who look like tight head props
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:Makes sense to have 2 stadia available with different capacities.

If there was any sense, the Aviva and Croke Park would also both be utilised for all sports.
I have to say that 38000 may well be too small for a HC semi-final. If our support grows then the Aviva may still be the best bet to allow as many as possible to go to a semi.

I would have no problem going to Casement Park, I actually went with me Da & Bro'er to a GAA fixture pre-troubles :shock: Antrim v Down as I recall.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Boutye
Initiate

Post by Boutye »

Being someone who works in the west, who has represented Antrim at various levels and is a season ticket holder at Ravenhill, i can tell you that the locals would welcome the Ulstermen, most of them could not give a flying feck about religion, politics or the like, there would be no issue whatsoever.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

What price is the drink at Casement Park?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:What price is the drink at Casement Park?
Chape
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:What price is the drink at Casement Park?
HWM will wonder what their policy on cheerleaders and flegs is
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Boutye
Initiate

Post by Boutye »

lol last time i bought a pint it was 2.75 i think