5 reasons why we will win on Saturday

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

5 reasons why we will win on Saturday

Post by againstthehead »

As some of you may realize, I tend to be a glass half-empty kinda guy but some of the pessimism on this site even surprises me. From the result in round 1, I have thought it's been advantage Tigers and that it would come down to this final game at Welford Rd. Now don't get me wrong, I believe the Tigers go into this match as slight favorites on paper. Quite simply given they have home advantage. However, i believe there are a few things that may aid Ulster:

1. The pain from Saracens. This is effectively Saracens mark 2. Away in England, against a forward-orientated side in effectively a knock-out game (you know what I mean....). We MUST surely have learned something from last season and the hurt will hopefully be the motivation to make sure it does not happen again. Last year we lost the collisions and couldn't match the intensity. This year, may Anscombe unleash hell's fury.

2. Match readiness. On the one hand you could argue that a couple of guys are undercooked but in general the squad has been specifically managed for this one game. Players have been rested, subbed, rehabilitated, put on latte-free diets for this one match. If we're not ready for this, we'll never be ready. Make no mistake, Zebre, Leinster, Munster and even Montpellier were mere warm-ups for this fixture.

3. Experience. This squad has put the mammoth performances in away from home in Europe. Munster, N'ton, Clermont and Montpellier were big big performances. The experience and belief is there. We have leadership in Best, Muller and Henry. Players who know exactly what is required to win these big games. We are a different animal to just a few years ago.

4. Ruan Pienaar. I was absolutely delighted to see Ruan kick against Munster. It meant that he was the chosen on for the HEC games. These really huge matches are typically a tight affair. Whilst the tigers may not even know who their kicker is, we have one of the best in Europe and importantly one who thrives on the big occasion. Ruan will deliver.

5. Backline. We have a beautiful backline. Ruan to orchestrate. Paddy's soft hands and solid tackling. Luke's raw aggression and youthful spirit coupled with Caves defensive awareness and eye for an off-load. Trimble's athleticism and Gilroy's quick feet. And not forgetting a rolls royce of a full-back. Our friend, Nigel Owens loves a fast a game. He doesn't want to see reset scrums and lineout mauls. This game will be played at 100 miles per hour (weather permitting) in a free-flowing and an enterprising fashion.

There can only be one winner. Ulster 26 Tigers 18
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: 5 reasons why we will win on Saturday

Post by Kofi Annan »

Or , tigers are wick
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Tigers will try and suck the life out of the game. I fear a boring game of scrums and mauls.

Their backline is average and needs to be exposed.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
UpAtSix
Initiate

Post by UpAtSix »

They're entitled to do that, but I want it to be happening behind their 10m line. Montpellier wanted an arm wrestle down there and we got our tactics absolutely spot on. Run the fat boys around and ensure the kick chase is aggressive.

Most importantly, we take the opportunities when they are presented to us. I think the Munster game was good preparation for this match; we didn't take all of our chances and a proud team with a never-say-die attitude nearly got back to us. Payne is vital to our chances.

If the tactics and mental preparation are on the money, we'll win - simple as that. Tigers 15 - Ulster 27
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Another reason why we will win on Saturday

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Score more points than them - simples!
Last edited by Cap'n Grumpy on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

I genuinely think we will win on Saturday, our away for in Europe has been utterly superb recently and I have seen nothing from Tigers to suggest that they have more in the tank than we do. I just hope that the Ulster fans will congregate on the terrace and make it into a mini-Ravenhill for the night :fleg:
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

UpAtSix wrote:They're entitled to do that, but I want it to be happening behind their 10m line. Montpellier wanted an arm wrestle down there and we got our tactics absolutely spot on. Run the fat boys around and ensure the kick chase is aggressive.

Most importantly, we take the opportunities when they are presented to us. I think the Munster game was good preparation for this match; we didn't take all of our chances and a proud team with a never-say-die attitude nearly got back to us. Payne is vital to our chances.

If the tactics and mental preparation are on the money, we'll win - simple as that. Tigers 15 - Ulster 27
Couldn't agree more.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Score more points than them - simples!
Thats just one. The title says five :scratch:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: 6 reasons why we will win on Saturday

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

damianmcr wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Score more points than them - simples!
Thats just one. The title says five :scratch:
Is it my fault that ATH got it wrong?

He needs to change it to 6
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

againstthehead wrote: Ulster 26 Tigers 18
Some of your post is not bullshit, however, your propensity for always posting a scoreline is moronic. An unkinder man than I would be keep a record of your wide of the mark scorelines to taunt you with, call you a ninnyhammer, a featherhead , a mooncalf or a jackanapes.

I trust you will accept this as sound advice not to make stupid predictions & thank me for not call you ninnyhammer, etc. etc.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

kingofthehill wrote:Tigers will try and suck the life out of the game. I fear a boring game of scrums and mauls.

Me too, I think it will all come down to a decision or two from Nigel, lets hope he is on the side of the angels or at least gives us a fair crack.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

To put it short: Leicester will try and play a forwards game, Ulster will try and play a backs game. Interesting to see which prevails.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
davejohnston
Initiate

Post by davejohnston »

I think one thing that may go against us is the weather. Looks like it will be raining, which might help their forward game. I hope we have a solution to the maul.
Having said that, if your backs fire, then we shouldn't have a problem, a few beautiful plays from Jackson with Trimble and Payne to finish them off.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

davejohnston wrote:I think one thing that may go against us is the weather. Looks like it will be raining, which might help their forward game. I hope we have a solution to the maul.
Having said that, if your backs fire, then we shouldn't have a problem, a few beautiful plays from Jackson with Trimble and Payne to finish them off.
Still too early to call the weather. If they still saying that on Thursday I'd be more worried.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Weather looks fine. Mostly cloudy.

Not the first time I've said it on this forum this week but Ulster are defo favourites in my eyes (saying that they always are!)
Bookies have Leicester 4/7 and us 11/8
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.