Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by kingofthehill »

Gerald the Mole wrote:ROD, really
Just my opinion.

Stewart should be nowhere near that Ulster team.

So many talented boys coming through the academy at the minute,it’s great to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

kingofthehill wrote:
So many talented boys coming through the academy at the minute,it’s great to see.

Is it sustainable in your opinion KOTH or are we just going through a freak couple of years? Do we now have the structures in place to produce talented academy players year on year for the foreseeable future?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

Is it sustainable in your opinion KOTH or are we just going through a freak couple of years? Do we now have the structures in place to produce talented academy players year on year for the foreseeable future?
Yes, production line is refined and going in the right place I said a few years ago it was going that way, anyways some awesome talaent coming through
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

What do you put it down to Kofi?

Who in your opinion is going to be the next big thing thats not yet being touted?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Kofi Annan wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

Yes, production line is refined and going in the right place I said a few years ago it was going that way, anyways some awesome talaent coming through
Freak years for sure but as Kofi said the production is refined and going the right direction.

Allison,Mccann, Reid are forwards to watch out for but still think there’s a lack of forwards.

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

You guys seriously think Hall will leave?

If he gets over his injury problems I reckon he has a very bright future with Ulster. A really athletic flanker.

I hope he doesn't do a Chris Farrell.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Big-al wrote:You guys seriously think Hall will leave?

If he gets over his injury problems I reckon he has a very bright future with Ulster. A really athletic flanker.

Heard he was away to Edinburgh last year but obv didn’t happen.

nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

kingofthehill wrote:
Big-al wrote:You guys seriously think Hall will leave?

Heard he was away to Edinburgh last year but obv didn’t happen.

POC helped keep him out of Edinburghs hands... I think he'll go as there are too many backrowers ahead of him

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Not to be a downer, but there were only 6 or so involved with the U-20s in the pre-Christmas games, which isn't great (plus McKee). In the second game I think there was one Ulster player in the 23.

Presumably the goal would be to consistently provide a quarter of age grade squads (or thereabouts - there will always be a skew in favour of Leinster, and against Connacht, due to overall player numbers)
..one more thing
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

I just don't see O'Donnell ever getting a fair shake from Ulster King, feel he should have tried either England or New Zealand when he left school. Seems things now rest on Doak maybe being alright.

That team of yours seems spot on but I'd sub in McCann again for Dunleavy, don't think he's been setting the world on fire.
Last edited by therealspratt on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

therealspratt wrote:I just don't see O'Donnell ever getting a fair shake from Ulster King, feel he should have tried either England or New Zealand when he lelf school. Seems things now rest on Doak maybe being alright.

That team of yours seems spot on but I'd sub in McCann again for Dunleavy, don't think he's been setting the world on fire.
You would have Dunleavy ahead of McCann?

therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

kingofthehill wrote:
therealspratt wrote:I just don't see O'Donnell ever getting a fair shake from Ulster King, feel he should have tried either England or New Zealand when he lelf school. Seems things now rest on Doak maybe being alright.

You would have Dunleavy ahead of McCann?

Nah, vice versa, Dunleavy seems well down the pecking order unfortunately. Might have to wait to McMenamin for our first ever pro Ulster player from Donegal.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Columbo wrote:Not to be a downer, but there were only 6 or so involved with the U-20s in the pre-Christmas games, which isn't great (plus McKee). In the second game I think there was one Ulster player in the 23.

Presumably the goal would be to consistently provide a quarter of age grade squads (or thereabouts - there will always be a skew in favour of Leinster, and against Connacht, due to overall player numbers)
Squad rotation as trying games, let's see who is in 6nations squads
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
Columbo wrote:Not to be a downer, but there were only 6 or so involved with the U-20s in the pre-Christmas games, which isn't great (plus McKee). In the second game I think there was one Ulster player in the 23.

Squad rotation as trying games, let's see who is in 6nations squads
I don't know if this one is quite the vintage batch, few more riches below in the u19s and u18s.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Azur Allison was the captain of this batch last season, he was absent in December due to injury.