Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by therealspratt »

Sexton playing 7s is an absolute nonsense when it could be in or around our Heineken squad next year and I'm highly suspicious that him playing that sport would be better for his development than regular Pro14 gametime.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

therealspratt wrote:Sexton playing 7s is an absolute nonsense when it could be in or around our Heineken squad next year and I'm highly suspicious that him playing that sport would be better for his development than regular Pro14 gametime.
I agree. If he was English, French or Welsh he wouldn't be sidelined to 7s.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
UR13IRFU
Novice

Post by UR13IRFU »

That’s a joke he’s been roped into that, don’t they only get paid like max 23k for playing in all tournaments. Unless he fancies just getting his travelling done and play rugby at same time
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

7s only makes possible sense for AIL (or Junior) players who have missed out on the main Academy setup like Baloucoune to show their stuff, it shouldn't be used as an alternative to the standard development pathway.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

UR13IRFU wrote:That’s a joke he’s been roped into that, don’t they only get paid like max 23k for playing in all tournaments. Unless he fancies just getting his travelling done and play rugby at same time
I think he will become better faster with the 15 aside game but then he might not get many opportunities there.Stockdale, Baloucoune, Gilroy, Faddes, Ludik, Lyttle and Kernohan will likely have first dibs unless Sexton 'hits the ground running'.... :cheers: Maybe on reflection, playing 7s at a high level is better than scratching his plums in the swamp of the AIl. There is also the U20s next year which might be his main opportunity. Stockdale went from there to the Ireland team.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

He won't be playing 7s next season
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Gerald the Mole wrote:He won't be playing 7s next season
If KOTH says he'll be playing 7s next year and won't be in an Ulster shirt unless something has changed the last week I'd say you've heard wrong Gerry!
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:He won't be playing 7s next season
If KOTH says he'll be playing 7s next year and won't be in an Ulster shirt unless something has changed the last week I'd say you've heard wrong Gerry!
Just what I heard the other week. Things obviously could change. I have my fingers crossed that he won’t go away with the 7s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The Irish Sevens are trying for Olympic qualification which means possibly a fully Southern Side rather than an all Island team

The Olympics are based on political boundaries. Which causes difficult for Countries with political different governments but single sporting bodies .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

So Rory declaring for Ireland is bullshit then rum.....
Tighthead Prod
Novice

Post by Tighthead Prod »

rumncoke wrote:The Irish Sevens are trying for Olympic qualification which means possibly a fully Southern Side rather than an all Island team

The Olympics are based on political boundaries. Which causes difficult for Countries with political different governments but single sporting bodies .

I think you will find that over the years numerous born, bred and resident ''Nordies' have represented Ireland in the Olympics.eg hockey, boxing, athletics and I'm sure there are many other sports.

Not sure how it happens in other sports, but during the qualification stages for the Rio Olympics the 2 Ulster based players in the Irish sevens rugby squad had to make a quick dash to Dublin to get Irish Passports prior to flyimg out to one of the qualification tournaments
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Rory like Micheal Hoey more than Likely has two passports

The problem they face is they need visas to play in certain countries and need their passports on a weekly basis.

I didn’t say it was impossible but it may require the player to make a decision or two .

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote:The Irish Sevens are trying for Olympic qualification which means possibly a fully Southern Side rather than an all Island team

rumncoke wrote:Rory like Micheal Hoey more than Likely has two passports

The problem they face is they need visas to play in certain countries and need their passports on a weekly basis.

I didn’t say it was impossible but it may require the player to make a decision or two .
You implied that it was and now yer backing down when it was pointed out that you were wrong. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

A decision or two. Ffs they can have both passports. You are an idiot rumn.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

No my original point was that the Sevens Team was aimed at the Olympics and thus not an automatic route for a player from the North of Ireland .

Although given the International 7s circuit it is not with out its appeal .