Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:Erstwhile Academy member Matty Dalton has secured a two year deal at Newcastle.
He was off playing in the states. Must have a good agent.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Only saw him a few times for the Ireland U20's. Thought he looked decent. A bit of a thug about him. Just what Ulster needed. Any particular reason he was let go?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

A top two inches issue perhaps. Big enough unit.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

So was his dad
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

15. Jamie Osborne (Naas CBS / Naas RFC / Leinster)
14. Ben Moxham (Larne High School / Ballymena RFC / Ulster)
13. Shane Jennings (Garbally College / Buccaneers RFC / Connacht)
12. Cathal Forde (Colaiste Iognaid / Corinthians RFC / Connacht)
11. Chris Cosgrave (St Michael’s College / UCD RFC / Leinster)
10. Tim Corkery (St Kieran’s College, Kilkenny / UCD RFC / Leinster)
9. Nathan Doak (Wallace High School / Banbridge RFC / Ulster)

1. Jack Boyle (St Michael’s College / UCD RFC / Leinster)
2. Ronan Loughnane (Cistercian College Roscrea / UCD RFC / Leinster)
3. Mark Donnelly (CBC Cork / Garryowen RFC / Munster)
4. Alex Soroka (Belvedere College / Clontarf RFC / Leinster)
5. Harry Sheridan (Sullivan Upper School / Dublin University FC / Ulster)
6. Donnacha Byrne (Summerhill College / Sligo RFC / Connacht)
7. Oisin McCormack (Garbally College / Buccaneers RFC / Connacht)
8. Alex Kendellen, capt. (PBC Cork / UCC RFC / Munster)

16. Eoin de Buitléar (Scoil Chuimsitheach Chiáran / An Ghaeltacht / Corinthians RFC / Connacht)
17. George Saunderson (Sullivan Upper School / Queen’s University Belfast RFC / Ulster)
18. Sam Illo (Wesley College / Old Wesley RFC / Leinster)
19. Mark Morrissey (Blackrock College / UCD RFC / Leinster)
20. Reuben Crothers (Wallace High School / Ballynahinch RFC / Ulster)
21. Conor McKee (Sullivan Upper School / Queen’s University Belfast RFC / Ulster)
22. Ben Carson (Wallace High School / Banbridge RFC / Ulster)
23. Jude Postlethwaite (RBAI / Banbridge RFC / Ulster)

24. Fearghail O’Donoghue (Cashel Community School / Cashel RFC / Munster)
25. Daniel Okeke (Ard Scoil Ris / Shannon RFC / Munster)
26. Conor Rankin (Campbell College Belfast / Ballynahinch RFC / Ulster)
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

9 out of 26, or 3 out of 15, happy with that.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

watched the U20s Doak was a mixture of" the Good the Bad and the Ugly"

The Good -- has a very rounded skilled set a bit a the John Clooney a reasonable scrum half with better than average place kicking ability

The Bad -- has a tendency to run rather than pass and tries to control the game at scrum half ( given his out half it might have been the right option on the night ) but

The Ugly --too many slow feeds (lobbed passes )to his forwards and handling errors at the back of the ruck --could be his mind is on the pass rather than picking the ball up --ie may have a tendency to be a head of task at hand .

My advice would be practice the basics pick up and pass and watch the Ruans 'of the game -- Good half backs avoid being tackled with the ball or having to tackle --- O Gara and Springer were seldom tackled, Pienaar and Jackson seldom got tackled they learnt to minimise their running with the ball -- good half backs either kick or pass seldom run with the ball.

Moxham -- big lad with the ability to change pace quickly --my wonder though is he out of place on the wing he has the look of another McCloskey in size but can he tackle etc much of his game is un- assessable playing on the wing.

Saunderson a big lad and looks the part. Unfortunately Sheridan looks and plays like Ulster's existing second row -- puts in a lot of work very honest effort but will he be big enough -- He is no Henderson Ryan or Baird --Soroka was more identifiable in the game
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Sheridan is more a back row playing lock, he plays 6 for Ulster A which probably suits him more as he might not ne big enough for a top class lock but he looks a very good player, not flashy but does the tough stuff very well.
Doak I thought looked by in larger excellent - yes he made a few mistakes but he hasn't played much rugby in the past year, I can understand the Pienaar references now.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:04 pm watched the U20s Doak was a mixture of" the Good the Bad and the Ugly"

The Good -- has a very rounded skilled set a bit a the John Clooney a reasonable scrum half with better than average place kicking ability

The Bad -- has a tendency to run rather than pass and tries to control the game at scrum half ( given his out half it might have been the right option on the night ) but

The Ugly --too many slow feeds (lobbed passes )to his forwards and handling errors at the back of the ruck --could be his mind is on the pass rather than picking the ball up --ie may have a tendency to be a head of task at hand .

My advice would be practice the basics pick up and pass and watch the Ruans 'of the game -- Good half backs avoid being tackled with the ball or having to tackle --- O Gara and Springer were seldom tackled, Pienaar and Jackson seldom got tackled they learnt to minimise their running with the ball -- good half backs either kick or pass seldom run with the ball.

Moxham -- big lad with the ability to change pace quickly --my wonder though is he out of place on the wing he has the look of another McCloskey in size but can he tackle etc much of his game is un- assessable playing on the wing.

Saunderson a big lad and looks the part. Unfortunately Sheridan looks and plays like Ulster's existing second row -- puts in a lot of work very honest effort but will he be big enough -- He is no Henderson Ryan or Baird --Soroka was more identifiable in the game
Who were the best players on the pitch for you Rum?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It’s a team game and the best team won As I have said Doak caught the eye but then I suppose I was watching him more and to a lesser extent Moxham .Soroka looks one for the future but being a Leinster cub might hinder his progress to some extent behind the current back row and second row .

Props are props and much of their game is hard to assess especially when playing peer age rugby

There are few who obviously won’t progress much further but the experience will be educational and beneficial to them it is not just about rugby .

I would rate Moxham ahead of McIlroy at the moment to be honest as there appears to be more of him and he has the natural change of pace but is he a better prospect than Sexton?
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Leinster second row Jack Dunne: 'I've been out as bisexual for four or five years now - but not out in the media' https://t.co/57z5Rv6Fuj

A brave and courageous young man. I hope he gets everyone's support.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I agree entirely.

👏

Second best lockdown hair, behind John Andrew, too.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Good for him
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Great for him, however I had no interest in his sexuality before this news story, and still have no interest now.

Did anything ever come of Stan Wright knocking him out at an end of season Leinster bash?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Glad he was honest with his team mates a few years ago, little interest in him coming out. Personally don't think there is a massive amount of courage in coming out to the media now, can't imagine anyone could criticise someone for being bisexual. If it feels like a weight off his chest I'm glad for him, I think society has got to a point that this is no longer a big issue. If it helps others in similar situations or those that are uncertain about their sexuality then happy at this.