Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Neill_M »

Hayden Hyde returning to Harlequins next season.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Looked a good player in the A game against Leinster. He would be fairly down in the pecking order at Ulster. So probably a good move for him.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Good article about Cormac Izuchukwu.
https://www.the42.ie/cormac-izuchukwu-u ... /#comments
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Kieran Campbell off to Ealing Trailfinders? Article on BBC website says he apparently is going to become their backs coach.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Neill_M wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:53 pm Kieran Campbell off to Ealing Trailfinders? Article on BBC website says he apparently is going to become their backs coach.
Just read that.. thats a bit of a loss when the academy seemed to start producing too. I wonder who they'll get in?
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Was he not Ireland U20 coach now as well, feels a bit of a strange decision unless he wanted to return to England?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Was it a jump or a push?
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

Maybe he was in to be Assistant Coach but Soper won out?

Definite improvements made under his tenure. Just hope the structures are in place so it won't be a massive change to whoever does come in.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

He has been there five years,it takes about 3~5 years getting them from regional development time to a 1XV cap, so that has been the success, it does not happen over a couple of seasons, it’s all about Rugby skills and the development of other skills required in the modern game (including life and mental skills) something stinks, in the hard times we are in why have we promoted Soper then brought and have to pay for a skills coach, could either Soper or Campbell have been given a dual roll? Sopers promotion obviously came with a cost , as did the recruitment of Skills coach, a massive loss and if the right person is not brought in we will see the Academy slipping backwards there is one candidate that stands out to me, and Armagh will have to fight to keep him, an outsider is not the answer and if that does happen it’s a mistake,Ulster have been silly in letting Campbell go, however as I said something stinks especially when it looks like the success of the Academy is being touted as McFarlands influence , or maybe I am reading to much into it !
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Kanbei wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:06 pm Maybe he was in to be Assistant Coach but Soper won out?

Definite improvements made under his tenure. Just hope the structures are in place so it won't be a massive change to whoever does come in.
Mmmmmm Ulster are not that bright in continuity planning
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Ealing are owned by a very very rich man, with a clear design to get in the prem. apparently one of the prerequisites is a decent academy - so Campbell would be a good addition.
If the academy starts to slide again we are feck. I would like to think the penny has dropped on that one finally. I think asking someone to coach attack & skills is a big ask. With the amount of back talent coming through soper has a great chance of success to play an open brand of rugby.
I’m amazed the academy isn’t overseen by the Irfu for effectiveness?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Dharper wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:33 pm Ealing are owned by a very very rich man, with a clear design to get in the prem. apparently one of the prerequisites is a decent academy - so Campbell would be a good addition.
If the academy starts to slide again we are feck. I would like to think the penny has dropped on that one finally. I think asking someone to coach attack & skills is a big ask. With the amount of back talent coming through soper has a great chance of success to play an open brand of rugby.
I’m amazed the academy isn’t overseen by the Irfu for effectiveness
Well with Campbell now going there is a chance that the talent coming through will dry up or be less effective
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Petrie out
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Early in his tenure there were a few that didn't rate Campbell, and now that we are performing reasonably well it is easy to make the argument that he hasn't developed enough forwards. The counter is we appear to be developing loads of quality backs. I guess given I'm not in the know at all I'm going to trust McFarland and take it that this will be a positive for us.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:50 pm Early in his tenure there were a few that didn't rate Campbell, and now that we are performing reasonably well it is easy to make the argument that he hasn't developed enough forwards. The counter is we appear to be developing loads of quality backs. I guess given I'm not in the know at all I'm going to trust McFarland and take it that this will be a positive for us.
You know it takes more than a year to develop players eh! I am confused on the not developing forwards ffs , O’ Toole, O,Sullivan, Izzy, Rae Brothers , McBurney, Andrews, Kane, Jones, McCann, Reid with three or four more to break through , trust McFarland in what way ?