Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bayern
Steward

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Bayern »

15. Jamie Osborne (Naas CBS/Naas RFC/Leinster)
14. Ben Moxham (Larne High School/Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
13. Shane Jennings (Garbally College/Buccaneers RFC/Connacht)
12. Cathal Forde (Colaiste Iognaid/Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
11. Josh O’Connor (St Peter’s College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
10. James Humphreys (Dean Close School/Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
9. Conor McKee (Sullivan Upper School/Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)

1. Temi Lasisi (CBS Enniscorthy/Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
2. Ronan Loughnane (Cistercian College Roscrea/UCD RFC/Leinster)
3. Sam Illo (Wesley College/Old Wesley RFC/Leinster)
4. Mark Morrissey (Blackrock College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
5. Harry Sheridan (Sullivan Upper School/Dublin University FC/Ulster)
6. Alex Soroka (Belvedere College/Clontarf RFC/Leinster)
7. Oisin McCormack (Garbally College/Buccaneers RFC/Connacht)
8. Alex Kendellen (PBC Cork/UCC RFC/Munster)(Captain)

Replacements:

16. Eoin de Buitléar (Scoil Chuimsitheach Chiáran/An Ghaeltacht/Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
17. Jack Boyle (St Michael’s College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
18. Mark Donnelly (CBC Cork/Garryowen RFC/Munster)
19. Jack Kelleher (PBC Cork/UCC RFC/Munster)
20. Reuben Crothers (Wallace High School/Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
21. Will Reilly (CBS Portlaoise/MU Barnhall/Leinster)
22. Tim Corkery (St Kieran’s College, Kilkenny/UCD RFC/Leinster)
23. Chris Cosgrave (St Michael’s College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
24. Donnacha Byrne (Summerhill College/Sligo RFC/Connacht)
25. Ben Carson (Wallace High School/Banbridge RFC/Ulster)
26. Daniel Okeke (Ard Scoil Ris/Shannon RFC/Munster).

No Saunderson, Doak, Postlethwaite or Rankin.
wanderer
Novice

Post by wanderer »

Do they have to use the whole squad in the U20 6 Nations as I think they do in the U20 World Cup ? If so, they might be saving players for other suitable matches.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Unsure if they have to or not with regard to using entire squad but the condensed nature of the tournament will dictate this.

Next to no game time will take its toll.

The reason for the allowance of eleven replacements is because of the turnaround time between games.

Its 5 games between today and 13th July.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

wanderer wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:19 am Do they have to use the whole squad in the U20 6 Nations as I think they do in the U20 World Cup ? If so, they might be saving players for other suitable matches.
there is no saving players for other games...

not every player gets selected to play in a 34 man squad.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Doak and Postlethwaite are both carrying knocks apparently and Saunderson isn't seen as strong enough in the scrum at the moment apparently.
Very surprised Humph JrJr is starting - had heard the other out halves were good- hopefully it means he has something about him. McKee is supposed to be decent as well I think at 9. Looking forward to this.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Link please ?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Link provided on the correct thread.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

Silverstu wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:22 am Doak and Postlethwaite are both carrying knocks apparently and Saunderson isn't seen as strong enough in the scrum at the moment apparently.
Very surprised Humph JrJr is starting - had heard the other out halves were good- hopefully it means he has something about him. McKee is supposed to be decent as well I think at 9. Looking forward to this.
Sheridan showed up well! Would like to see him at blindside though.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

launish116 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:28 pm
Silverstu wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:22 am Doak and Postlethwaite are both carrying knocks apparently and Saunderson isn't seen as strong enough in the scrum at the moment apparently.
Very much so on Sheridan- he looks powerful, tough and pretty abrasive, maybe not big enough for lock but at 6 he could be the bruiser we need and seems to be pretty skilful with it. Moxham looks huge as well, didn't see enough of wee Humph but he seems decent at the very least- good kicking game.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Silverstu wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:45 am
launish116 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:28 pm
Very much so on Sheridan- he looks powerful, tough and pretty abrasive, maybe not big enough for lock but at 6 he could be the bruiser we need and seems to be pretty skilful with it. Moxham looks huge as well, didn't see enough of wee Humph but he seems decent at the very least- good kicking game.
I thought JHumph was ropey.. had one very poor clearance kick and another poor pass causing a knock on.

apparently he had a cheek injury and could be done for the 6 nations.

Sheridan was good but he ain't big enough for lock at pro level.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Erstwhile Academy member Matty Dalton has secured a two year deal at Newcastle.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Humphreys-- why was an out half tackling a No 8 coming on the blindside from the back of a scrum ? Where were the Irish Backrow 6 and 8

That said Humphreys was total out of position to make the tackle he should have been coming across the advancing 8 not facing him -- committed himself to early head in the wrong place and ended up FUBAR.

It was an avoidable injury .

Not to sure how many will proceed beyond the 20s in the squad to be honest considering the those who played in U20s in the last 2 to 3 seasons to make these lads have not to be as good but better than them.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

rumncoke wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:30 pm Humphreys-- why was an out half tackling a No 8 coming on the blindside from the back of a scrum ? Where were the Irish Backrow 6 and 8

That said Humphreys was total out of position to make the tackle he should have been coming across the advancing 8 not facing him -- committed himself to early head in the wrong place and ended up FUBAR.

It was an avoidable injury .

Not to sure how many will proceed beyond the 20s in the squad to be honest considering the those who played in U20s in the last 2 to 3 seasons to make these lads have not to be as good but better than them.
several of the squad have already played pro 14 rugby. :lol:

many will go well beyond the 20's.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I know a couple have but as I say a bench place doesn’t really ring my bell greatly

Take Moxham how many wingers has he to displace and they are all under 28

Every year under 20s play and every year the same over expectation occurs as I say they have to be better than those already signed and included in the squads in 2 years

All coaches prefer the known to unknown
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

rumncoke wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:26 pm I know a couple have but as I say a bench place doesn’t really ring my bell greatly

Take Moxham how many wingers has he to displace and they are all under 28

Every year under 20s play and every year the same over expectation occurs as I say they have to be better than those already signed and included in the squads in 2 years

All coaches prefer the known to unknown
ah yeah they are no good, they are only on the bench for their province at 19.. why aren't they starting ahead of full time professionals?

every year you say the 20's aren't that good and there wont be many professionals from that years group :lol: