McCloskey

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Re: McCloskey

Post by Wee Woman »

skiboo wrote:I am not usually on for conspiracy theories but Welsh panel looking at a judgement by a Welsh referee on a team playing Welsh clubs during the ban period wanting to extend the penalty as an example to other players!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me wonder.
On a number of points I have real difficulty Hodges performance on the day was nothing short of a disgrace but is it really any better than what stands as the norm as far as officiating in the pro 12 is concerned. The league could do no better than create a major cash pool to provide extra coaching and training for the man in the middle in an attempt to raise standards. As I see it there is little point in trying to encourage top class players to remain or play in the league which wants to improve the quaility of the game if the standard of refereeing remains so poor and inconsistent.
Is it the job of the disciplinary panel to arbitrarily decide to make an example of a player to dissuade other players from similar action or should it be in the hands of the administrators of the game to warn first then apply a change to the referees application of the laws.
How weak must Ulster be as this action against McCloskey now sits beside the Payne decision as a lesson to others and I cannot think of similar decisions made against players of any other teams to make similar points.I just ask the question are Ulster pussy cats in this area and do they roll over to get their tummy tickled or do they really fight for their players and use everything at their disposal including press and pundit backiing to support them. Answers on a post card please or in column inches.
I would suggest if it were any other Province in Ireland had been dealt this hand the "great" Irish rugby press and the pundits would be all over it. So far a wall of silence I await with interest!!!!!!!!!!!!
Careful Skiboo, you're in danger of sounding like a whinging Welshman pratting on about how the league is all one big Irish conspiracy :stir:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Another case of the tip-tackle (for want of a better term) being one of the IRB's current cause célèbre? An extra week because we're highlighting our 'intolerance' to that particular offence at the minute. Whereas good old-fashioned offences like smacking a player in the bake while he's pinned to the ground - that'll only get you an entry level ban (in fact, it'll prob only get you a yellow card in the 1st place).

I have to be honest, I've seen more coherent judgements successfully appealed on the grounds that they are wrong in law.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

rocky wrote:Have to disagree - it was a stupid thing to do and the ref had every right to give the red card, even if it was harsh (I think it was because the player came to no harm).
Once he was carded, the panel was always going to back up the ref and they said the offence was at the lowest end of the spectrum (correct) - four weeks ban. End of story. No conspiracy. Suck it up and move on. Let it feed the anger for Friday.
Agree that a ban was coming however how did the panel make a 4 week ban 5 weeks effectively by moving the start point of the ban forward? Also how many other bans do you see with a 1 week increase in it as a "deterrent" to others? Should have been 3 weeks (4 weeks - 1 for previous good record) and it should have started yesterday meaning he would be free for the Cardiff game. Time to move and accept it!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Neill_M wrote:
rocky wrote:Have to disagree - it was a stupid thing to do and the ref had every right to give the red card, even if it was harsh (I think it was because the player came to no harm).
Once he was carded, the panel was always going to back up the ref and they said the offence was at the lowest end of the spectrum (correct) - four weeks ban. End of story. No conspiracy. Suck it up and move on. Let it feed the anger for Friday.
Agree that a ban was coming however how did the panel make a 4 week ban 5 weeks effectively by moving the start point of the ban forward? Also how many other bans do you see with a 1 week increase in it as a "deterrent" to others? Should have been 3 weeks (4 weeks - 1 for previous good record) and it should have started yesterday meaning he would be free for the Cardiff game. Time to move and accept it!
In natural justice, should red card bans not start at the time of the card; as opposed to citing bans which should start from the hearing?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Neill_M wrote:
Apparently it was because we have a free week within the period of the ban, i.e. it was really a ban for four matches. I think that was really nasty and something you NEVER get when it's an English player involved, for example
Bo***cks to Brexit
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

Just read "Todays Papers" it was good to see the quotes from Doak in the Belfast Telegraph in support of his players regarding inconsistent refereeing. The man has obviously nothing to learn about man management and team building and assuming the quotes are correct just about sums up Ulster Rugby management for me at the moment. Insipid forelock touching slop.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

skiboo wrote:Just read "Todays Papers" it was good to see the quotes from Doak in the Belfast Telegraph in support of his players regarding inconsistent refereeing. The man has obviously nothing to learn about man management and team building and assuming the quotes are correct just about sums up Ulster Rugby management for me at the moment. Insipid forelock touching slop.
Link ??
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
EastTerraceUR
Novice

Post by EastTerraceUR »

McCloskey baned for 4/5 weeks, Nakarawa banned for 3 for Headbutt........
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

sorry Kofi -- my sarcasim obviously missed its target!!!!!!!!!!!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Having read the ban he is actually banned to the 29 march 2015 due to 2 down weeks

Which of course like McCloskey is not a ban in weeks but a ban for a number of matches .

Except the disciplinary recommendations are made in terms of weeks and months but now panels are applying the ban in numbers of matches

3 games for an unprovoked head butt compared to 4 for a reckless lift: because it was an attempted clear out of a ruck and not a tackle, but the law is being apply or would appear to being applied as if it was a tackle

As I said else where my inclination would be to appeal but only if the panel does not include welshmen ( who would increase the ban to prove their love of all things Irish)
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Yellow card.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

The system is feck
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Finn Russell ban upheld for being jumped into
austintranslation
Novice

Post by austintranslation »

A bit off topic, but who was the last player to be sent off prior to Jaredgate of 2014? Possible pub quiz question in the making...