Soccer ball at Ravespan?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Soccer ball at Ravespan?

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

solidarity wrote:Happy to welcome the GAWA with open arms. Might be worth listening to how a football crowd really gets into the match. They make a lot more noise than rugby supporters and have a much bigger repertoire of songs and chants! There's something visceral about it.
Pluses and minuses to both, different, atmospheres - you'll never hear a majority portion of Ravenhill singing "the referee's a w*nker", for example, but there's something hilarious about 10000 people (some of whom would swear in no other context) ripping into it.

And some of the chants are excellent - my favourite, during Healy's pomp, was Away in a Manger, sung in full until:

"the stars in the bright sky, looked down where HEALY! HEALY! HEALY!"
It's the hope that kills you.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Rooster wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
Ulsterfan25 wrote:
Russ wrote:Hopefully
Agreed Russ, although I think the law surrounding football requires that all fans must be seated for the match. The terraces would therefore be redundant I think.
There might be an imaginative approach to getting some temporary seating on the terrace and I suspect Kingspan might appreciate the additional TV coverage .. was football ever played at Ravenhill before rugby?
They played ice hockey in December 1873, and the first F1 race was held on the Ravenhill race course in 1856, they were playing soccer at least 50 years earlier
But sure, GAA was played at Ravenhill before rugby.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

solidarity wrote:Happy to welcome the GAWA with open arms. Might be worth listening to how a football crowd really gets into the match. They make a lot more noise than rugby supporters and have a much bigger repertoire of songs and chants! There's something visceral about it.
I wonder if the Col, will be there to Instil " the principles" of being a good citizen , have the Pride of the Raven flute band to play appropriate music during break in plays. Will the Northern Ireland banner be allowed to be flown without offending someone,
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Rumour has it the Nuremburg rallies were held at Ravenhill
You may be confusing that with the Whitewell Tabernacle, B!got-in starring Paster Jesus hates Fags.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Pluses and minuses to both, different, atmospheres - you'll never hear a majority portion of Ravenhill singing "the referee's a w*nker", for example, but there's something hilarious about 10000 people (some of whom would swear in no other context) - feck me they must have become civilised since I last attended in 1986. ripping into it.

And some of the chants are excellent - my favourite, during Healy's pomp, was Away in a Manger, sung in full until:

"the stars in the bright sky, looked down where HEALY! HEALY! HEALY!"
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

There is a chance that the Irish Cup final could be at Ravenhill too, which is a completely different proposition to the Romania game.

Portadown and Glentoran at Ravenhill, will be interesting how the residents like that if it comes to pass.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

As someone with only a passing interest in soccer, I wonder does the crowd at NI matches really get into the match or do they get into the experience of attending the match. I'm not knocking it - but a lot seem like they're are 'partying' for extended periods, I can't think when I would be prepared to be distracted from a rugby match for that length of time (maybe 30 points up with the bonus point in the bag and a couple of minutes to go ...). Perhaps a more fundamental difference between rugby and soccer. The crowd gets going in rugby, but stops when that particular attack (or defensive effort) stops.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Does anyone know the total capacity of each stand, and terrace at Ravers? Or where this could be found?
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Does anyone know the total capacity of each stand, and terrace at Ravers? Or where this could be found?
From memory - Memorial and Family Stands approx 1750 seated each - main stand approx 3500 - east seating approx 1000.

That makes about 8,000 seated - the rest (10,000) standing on the 4 terraces.

Could be wrong but think the above is pretty close. :salut:
Finished
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Rovi Snave wrote:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Does anyone know the total capacity of each stand, and terrace at Ravers? Or where this could be found?
From memory - Memorial and Family Stands approx 1750 seated each - main stand approx 3500 - east seating approx 1000.

8000 would be just enough to hold the "Season Ticket" holders, were there to be issues with terracing. Don't know if this is the case, though.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The Free Presbyterians will be convinced this was the work of the Lord because they violated The Sabbath and played footy at the weekend when they should all have been in church praying.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if one of them dug the hole at the back of the stand :shock: :stir:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Rovi Snave wrote:

8000 would be just enough to hold the "Season Ticket" holders, were there to be issues with terracing. Don't know if this is the case, though.
The Beeb were reporting a 50/50 split making it 9,000 available for a wendyball match.
Hope is not a strategy.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Surely in the interests of equality, an offer would have to made to the IFA? We've already hosted GAA.

If we don't, I'm sure we'll come in for some flak. Damned if you do etc.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It may of course be possible to insert some form of seat on the terraces even if was only a type of bench with seats attached something similar to the seating in the Old stand . While the numbers would be less than 18000 it could be higher than 10000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Hans Indaruck wrote:
Rovi Snave wrote:

The Beeb were reporting a 50/50 split making it 9,000 available for a wendyball match.

I found an old fag packet which has 7278 seats + committee box (146) + corporate boxes.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk