Sam Windsor signs for Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Re: Sam Windsor signs for Ulster

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

What have we got to lose? I wouldn't imagine he is costing very much & the reality is it's a 1 yr trial & we need cover at 10.

Hopefully O'Hagan lives up to his preseason billing but he's still a young lad & will be returning from a long term lay off.

I Don't know enough about the other under age lads, but I'm sure someone on here has a fair grasp of what's out there? Do we have anyone else looking anything like the thing coming through the system? What any of the lads leaving school? Any of them look like a possibility for the future?
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
EastTerraceUR
Novice

Post by EastTerraceUR »

ruckover wrote:Smart signing. May not be top quality, but will at least provide some credible opposition to iHumph as opposed to O'Hagan.
the only way some of these acadamy players are going to improve is playing them and giving them a chance, some here support just forgetting about acadamy players and wasting money, although probably not an awful lot still a waste,

may turn out to be a smart signing in terms of cover during WC, just think we need to put more trust in our own
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

EastTerraceUR wrote:
ruckover wrote:Smart signing. May not be top quality, but will at least provide some credible opposition to iHumph as opposed to O'Hagan.
the only way some of these acadamy players are going to improve is playing them and giving them a chance, some here support just forgetting about acadamy players and wasting money, although probably not an awful lot still a waste,

may turn out to be a smart signing in terms of cover during WC, just think we need to put more trust in our own
I agree, same as lots of folk calling for the stringer signing, I think that Conor Youngs is a great prospect, the balance between giving them time and giving them a chance is very fine. Sign someone as a stop gap for a year or try out the talented young lads. I am for giving the academy boys a good chance.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

scrum5 wrote:Name another IQ 10 who we could have got as cover during the RWC we now have Humphs :duh: O'Hagan and Windsor
Well there is a belter in NZ but he would be straight into the team ahead of GP & is an undoubted All Black before too much longer having captained then to Jnr RWC. >EW

However that aside, for cover purposes, spot on. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Sorry BR didn't realuse you had joined the game.

Knee
Sax
Hope I haven't missed a post again but,

'phone.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I'm all for blooding youngsters, but during the RWC is not the time.

For instance, it's not ideal that during the World Cup we're relying on Marshall at scrum-half, and some of you then want to stick the completely unproven Sean O'Hagan outside him. Madness. What exactly is O'Hagan going to learn in that sort of environment? At least Windsor has some sort of experience to bring to the side.

As a way of an example, I've been calling for John Andrew to be given more time off the bench for us whenever a game is already won because we were one injury away from him needing to start for us during the 6 Nations and so far I would say he has shown potential but isn't ready. If we're really unlucky we might lose Herring over the World Cup period too and then we're forced to start with Andrew, and as much as I think he will come good, I'm not thrilled with his lack of experience so far.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Well, fúck me with a bag of left handed spanners. We can sign some dross, I am going to buck my CV out there, I am bound to be in with a shout.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

ruckover wrote:As a way of an example, I've been calling for John Andrew to be given more time off the bench for us whenever a game is already won because we were one injury away from him needing to start for us during the 6 Nations and so far I would say he has shown potential but isn't ready. If we're really unlucky we might lose Herring over the World Cup period too and then we're forced to start with Andrew, and as much as I think he will come good, I'm not thrilled with his lack of experience so far.
Which game would you have gone for lately then? Which game were we comfortably winning on 50 minutes to the extent we could replace our starting hooker (either of them invariably one of our best players)?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I see that Windsor came off the bench for Leinster A against the Ravens which leaves me somewhat underwhelmed by this punt over our own young players. If they are not good enough then they're not good enough but on the face of it playing in the Pro 12 appears a big step up from anything previous for him as much as our own. What is the highest level this guy has featured at?

If Paddy is away with Ireland both pre and RWC then who is our starting 10 as it was my understanding that iHump was standing down or is he now being encouraged to stay on with Windsor as back up.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Are we playing matches at Windsor now? Is it not dunderin in?
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

OneMore wrote:
ruckover wrote:As a way of an example, I've been calling for John Andrew to be given more time off the bench for us whenever a game is already won because we were one injury away from him needing to start for us during the 6 Nations and so far I would say he has shown potential but isn't ready. If we're really unlucky we might lose Herring over the World Cup period too and then we're forced to start with Andrew, and as much as I think he will come good, I'm not thrilled with his lack of experience so far.
Which game would you have gone for lately then? Which game were we comfortably winning on 50 minutes to the extent we could replace our starting hooker (either of them invariably one of our best players)?
Well...
- After we scored our third try last Friday, securing the game - that would be eight more minutes than he did get.
- After we conceded the Dragons' third try when the game was lost - that would be seven more minutes than he did get.
- I would have given him more than just seven minutes in the 43-3 win over Treviso when the win was definitely in the bag.
- I would have given him more than just ten minutes against Toulon when it was clear we were never winning that game in a million years.

Still not much, but instead of getting just seven minutes over the last two months he could have gotten maybe 20-25 mins or so. Herring has been good so yes, quite rightly his opportunities have been limited, but there have been chances to give Andrew a few minutes here and a few minutes there.

I'm not talking 30 minute stints here, or even necessarily 20 minutes, just get him on the pitch at some point to give him some game time to keep him developing, with obviously the more time he can get the better. He's not doing any good sitting on the bench whenever the result is secure.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

OK I'm going to try something slightly different, I'm giving it in bullet points to assist the simple minded and terminally stupid.

Right here we go:

+ IRFU announce future decrease in numbers of NIQs, it is now imperative, because of this and because we very clearly haven't a big enough squad to cover injuries, which season by season across rugby are increasing in number & severity, to sign as many IQ prospects as possible, many on low salaries, many acknowledged to be makeweights, though of course you don't expect Ulster to announce THAT.

+ David Humphreys left Ulster in the lurch
+ Perhaps he had done his best, but he left us with the least impressive - some have been good - signings ever attributed to the good Dr.
+ In his absence, nobody & I mean nobody got on with re-signing players out of contract never mind looking at new players
+ In a meeting with Bryn before he became an Ulster employee, it concluded with Bryn pointing out to Fit & Doak, "Frig boys, you're in trouble, you need me to sort your mess".***

*** An approximation of the words spoken, I wasn't there. >EW

Time passes

+ Bryn is appointed Ulster Manager (after the standard worldwide search)
+ Bryn sets about and successfully re-signs all Ulster players UR wanted to retain
+ Signs the level of player available for injury cover
+ Time to set about recruitment for the future
+ Announces a belter of a signing - Chuck Tiutau for 2016
+ Announces a solid back up signing to cover RWC/Injuries

NOW THEN,

To date Bryn hasn't put a foot wrong, unless someone wants to enlighten me. So here is a wee thought, why don't we break the habit of a lifetime and assume he is getting things right until there is evidence to the contrary. I understand some will find logic a somewhat testing and tricky thing to manage, but be a wee luvvie and try hard. :roll:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Once a Knight wrote:I for one, am delighted.

Ravenhill is now the House of Windsor. :cheers:

Worst case, he'll help the Bin men back into 1B. :lol:
Actually if the ABs want to mess about with our other new signing, he could be looking for somewhere to play before July 2016, I hear Queens give out bursaries if you are a decent prospect.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Rovi Snave wrote:Baggy - don't disagree with anything you say above.

However, I find it difficult to believe that there isn't anyone better out there who would be available for next season (money talks and 10 is one of our weakest positions without PJ / RP) - is the barrel really that empty? - if it is then Bryn could prove to be a very wise man.

Time will tell - perhaps Sam will surprise us all - I hope so!!!
If you have watched his promo video, he has a range of skills & even tackles. I would not write him off without evidence, whilst being realistic about his likely level.

Dean Ryan is a fair judge & took him to Worcester. And yes he may never start a game but I'm sure his salary is commensurate with his status & more than likely he has jumped at the offer without too much bargaining.

Finally, yes money talks but Ulster's supply of cash is most certainly not limitless, Chuck will be getting a fair wedge, we have a substantial rates bill which I understand was not what we had expected, which will have to pay it until it may be significantly reduced on appeal, if successful, but it puts a hole in the cash we can flash. That plus the expectation that we will be acquiring more significant talent means that Bryn needs to be a shrewd operator.

I have no evidence to suggest that he isn't being exactly that, therefore I urge all chubes to shut their yap about things they are less than qualified to yap about.

All Hail Bryn. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I have seen loads of these so called few minute promo videos with the sassy rapping sound track to know that they amount to sum of feck all evidence to prove they are any good.
Could even muster one one of your goodself Bagster to make you look a half decent 10. :shock:
Tazz #15
Initiate

Post by Tazz #15 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:OK, listen up muthafukkas.

Whilst I know we can't all be blessed with intelligence did it occur to anyone there is a world cup on next season? Did you know we will not be blessed with the Ginger Prince until there is a nip in the air and Santa's considering loading up the sleigh?

Is anyone left in any doubt that iHumph will be the best we have allegedly for the first 2-3 months of the season? Looking forward to that? Me neither. Has it occurred to any halfwit what will happen at 10 if GP is away, Ruan is away, Olding is crocked, Luke Marshall might be away and what then happens if iHumph suddenly decides to make a tackle and is broken?

Think of that did we? No, didn't think so. FFS wise up.

So in conclusion, this is a one season deal to cover a time of great peril. Seems like a sensible move by Bryn. >appl
Agree 100% Baggy!