2015-16 Season

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

Fly Half
Steward
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Norn Irn

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by Fly Half » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:53 pm

EW - as Rooster has pointed out is it better to have a player getting no gametime in the squad, but has been training as one of three - or have a guy who is match sharp and can be called in on the next Easyjet?

Do you really think Joe will pick an insurance policy he hopes never to claim on rather than an extra backrow that he can use to keep players fit and fresh? Schmidt doesn't have the numbers to cover every eventuality so he has to take a risk and throw the dice on what positions are most likely to need the extra insurance.
The future isn't what it used to be

User avatar
Neil F
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4045
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:34 am
Location: Berlin

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by Neil F » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:34 pm

FH; I understand your argument and it is one that applies across the whole backline but I'm less convinced by the logic than some. If we begin with the sensible assumption that Jackson is a better 10 than Madigan, the question then becomes; is what Madigan offers at 12 or 15 a good trade-off for what is lost at 10? In part, the answer to this question is going to rely on who else has been selected; if Earls or Fitzgerald go, for example, there is a winger who can cover 11-15; what Madigan offers at 12 and 15 is then worth comparatively less. I think these things actually stack fairly heavily in Paddy's favour because there are a number of backs who seem likely to go that can cover a lot of positions. Given their likely presence in the squad, the trade-off of having someone who can 'only' play 10 doesn't seem quite as stark as it would if everyone else in the backline was a specialist.

User avatar
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:31 pm
Location: Bengor West

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:59 pm

Neil F wrote:FH; I understand your argument and it is one that applies across the whole backline but I'm less convinced by the logic than some. If we begin with the sensible assumption that Jackson is a better 10 than Madigan, the question then becomes; is what Madigan offers at 12 or 15 a good trade-off for what is lost at 10? In part, the answer to this question is going to rely on who else has been selected; if Earls or Fitzgerald go, for example, there is a winger who can cover 11-15; what Madigan offers at 12 and 15 is then worth comparatively less. I think these things actually stack fairly heavily in Paddy's favour because there are a number of backs who seem likely to go that can cover a lot of positions. Given their likely presence in the squad, the trade-off of having someone who can 'only' play 10 doesn't seem quite as stark as it would if everyone else in the backline was a specialist.

I'm also convinced Jackson can play 12 if needed, even if he hasn't been used there apart from 10/15 minutes against Toulon at home.
It's the hope that kills you.

Eugene Wrayburn
Novice
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:39 pm

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by Eugene Wrayburn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:24 pm

Fly Half wrote:EW - as Rooster has pointed out is it better to have a player getting no gametime in the squad, but has been training as one of three - or have a guy who is match sharp and can be called in on the next Easyjet?

Do you really think Joe will pick an insurance policy he hopes never to claim on rather than an extra backrow that he can use to keep players fit and fresh? Schmidt doesn't have the numbers to cover every eventuality so he has to take a risk and throw the dice on what positions are most likely to need the extra insurance.
10 is not a position to throw the dice. Imagine Sexton is carrying a dead leg before the Italy game. So he starts Madigan/PJ and does what if they are injured during the game. The whole point of Madigan is his flexibility. For the games against the relatively minor nations PJ will start, quite possibly with Madigan at 12 or 15. Remember that players can only be replaced permanently. The squad will have 3 people who can play 10. That means Sexton, and almost certainly both Paddy and Madigan.

I expect something like :
5 props
3 hookers
4 locks
5 back row
3 scrum halves
2 fly halves
3 centres
4 back 3
1 Madigan or similar utility who covers 10 and centre. Might have been Olding had he been fit.

ETA I've actually got 1 spare. Personally I'd take another prop, but many would do otherwise. For some reason many want more back rowers but I think that's odd.
Last edited by Eugene Wrayburn on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6882
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:10 pm

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by Kofi Annan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:32 pm

Rum, why are you using a different username
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”

User avatar
ColinM
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 7857
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:11 pm

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by ColinM » Fri May 01, 2015 10:17 am

Kofi Annan wrote:Rum, why are you using a different username
Mind he used to

be called bogboy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6745
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by rumncoke » Fri May 01, 2015 5:28 pm

Kofi wind your neck in

Bogboy went awol because of the abuse he got for pointing out the failings of IH when all and sundry considered him the greatest thing since sliced bread.He also took a lot of stick for defending Boss who was actually not as poor as the masses made out but was having to play and direct the game behind a poor pack with weak outhalfs .

An 8 man selection for front row would be normal the split between props and hookers depends on who is fit and how Joe sees the hookers splitting the game time between the hookers.

The back row and second row 9 could well be 2 second rows 2 utility and 5 back row

On the Jackson/Madigan half back split I think Joe would be more inclined to favour at this time 2 scrum halfs and 3 out halfs basically because Boss may no longer be an International scrum half ( and there are those who would say he never was ) and the having watched the Lad from Connaught i don't consider he has reached that standard yet so both would only be in the squad to cover injury rather than being playing options.

If that is the case then Joe will have the option of taking 3 out halfs and/ or 2 out halfs and an alternative place kicker

D'Arcy having stated that he is to retire after the World Cup has ruled himself out of selection and because non of the other centres other than (10/12) Madigan are from Leinster his inclusion would lack the experience of being a Provincial combination which was so beneficial in the D'Arcy/BoD era.

Which of course could open the door for Darren Cave who has been showing evidence of being able to plaY BOTH 12/13.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist

Nightsoil
Warrior
Posts: 1228
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:05 am

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by Nightsoil » Fri May 01, 2015 5:31 pm

Fly Half wrote:The argument for PJ not being part of the 31 man RWC squad goes as follows:

He only plays 10 and he's not a good goal kicker.
Madigan plays 10/12/15 and is (usually) a good goal kicker.

Jackson isn't an impact sub because he's so similar to Sexton. Madigan offers something different from the bench.
According to statbunker, Jackson sits on an average of about 80pc for his entire career for goalkicking. That's not as good as Madigan, whose percentages are world class, but its still pretty respectable.

Anyway, if you look at previous world cup squads, you'll find pretty much every country that can has 3 people capable of covering fly-half in their squad most years, regardless of geographic proximity.

User avatar
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4204
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by UlsterNo9 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Does anyone else have the feeling that we have a hell of allot more outgoings than incommings?

Is this the year quite a few academy get a senior contract?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18

User avatar
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11294
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Carrickfergus

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by Jackie Brown » Fri May 22, 2015 11:26 pm

No sign a of a backrower? When is Nick being levered out?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999

User avatar
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1662
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by LegsLikeSausages » Sat May 23, 2015 8:51 pm

Jackie Brown wrote:No sign a of a backrower? When is Nick being levered out?
All the blacksmiths in Ulster are still making the lever big enough.

MARB
Novice
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by MARB » Sat May 23, 2015 10:03 pm

I need to hear of big back row signing soon otherwise this feeling of dejection from last night will take a while to shift. Would be interested to know if we made a move for Stringer, even on a short term contract. Could have been great cover for when Ruan is away at RWC.
"I would never bow to the knees of an opponent. I was never prepared to give second best to him and I'm sure that is the trait of a true Ulsterman."

Willie John McBride

User avatar
ruckover
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 7609
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: My house

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by ruckover » Sat May 23, 2015 10:20 pm

Jackie Brown wrote:No sign a of a backrower? When is Nick being levered out?
At the end of his contract :roll:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.

User avatar
scrum5
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6075
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by scrum5 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:26 am

UlsterNo9 wrote:Dave Ryan now 3rd choice tight head by default
I very much doubt that...... >EW
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016

User avatar
scrum5
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6075
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by scrum5 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:43 am

Fly Half wrote:Can't see Jackson being included in the 31 man squad, but he will be involved in the warm-ups and be on standby as injury cover. That might mean his Ulster time will be managed to ensure he is both fit and fresh, but he should be available.

Paradoxically I can see Diack being in the RWC squad. He is the only utility who can cover every backrow position and lock. An ideal guy to fill in for the 'lesser' games to rest starters. If he's not in the main squad then it's unlikely he would be on standby because if one of the starters have to go home there are better specialist replacements.

Henry seems to be a Joe favourite so will probably go but that leaves Ulster yet again very exposed in the backrow. Ulster needed a quality 8 this season never mind next, has Bryn got his eye on that ball?
Our backrow during the RWC will consist off Lorcan Dow, Peter Browne, Willie Faloon, Nick Williams, Roger Wilson, and then Clive Ross, Sean Reidy is possibly staying, can't find out whither Frankie Taggart is staying or going.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016

Post Reply