2015-16 Season

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

tighthead3
Novice

Re: 2015-16 Season

Post by tighthead3 »

Who even is Frank Taggart?

The backrow has to be a position of interest for management when it comes to acqusitions, Lorcan Dow ticks the 8 box considering outside of Fat Nick and Wilson we don't have one, but we desperately need a 7 outside of Henry. Reidy, Faloon and Ross might occasionally wear 7 but they aren't 7s, and I doubt this Taggart fella is either.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

tighthead3 wrote:Who even is Frank Taggart?

The backrow has to be a position of interest for management when it comes to acqusitions, Lorcan Dow ticks the 8 box considering outside of Fat Nick and Wilson we don't have one, but we desperately need a 7 outside of Henry. Reidy, Faloon and Ross might occasionally wear 7 but they aren't 7s, and I doubt this Taggart fella is either.
Willie Faloon not a 7 :lol: Truly, you have a rare gift for comedy.

Taggart's an academy back row who played for Ireland U20s last season, frequently at 7 as it so happens.
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

Its been a nearly season and one which we knew from the start was going to be difficult due to retirements'sackings and departures and if you think back to the dross which was served up as rugby during the season lots of the loyal long standing Ulster supporters me included were having big decisions to make about renewing season tickets.
The coaching team were stand in and for me the only one who had any real creditability over the year has gone to join his mate in England. I am still concerned about the coaching set up and would be even more concerned if Kiss in his role with Ireland was standing behind Doak and Clark in some of the decisions they were making. I am speculating as I just do not know but if he was not introducing some influence why not and if he was then I am concerned as issues appeared throughout the year such as discipline which were not addressed.
On the question of players I am generally positive about the core team but some of the speculative signings have been to say the least a big disappointment and not even fit to play at half time with the mini teams. We have discovered a gem in McCloskey and O'Connor is not far behind but who is to say with a bit of play time how Stevenson would have turned out for us and considering his previous potential Lutton.(was he injured all year or was he a victim of what is said to be a narky forwards coach). Oldings injuries were a personal tragedy for him and impacted on the team but considering how we bring players forward as part of their development would we have unearthed McCloskey. We have a difficulty in player development as introduction to the team unless the player is exceptional appears to be a break glass in an emergency policy.
Irelands needs produced further disruption in terms of who plays where particularly with Payne and Henderson. That disruption still rankles with me and I have noticed Hendersons return to the back row has coincided with Ryans return to the Munster 2nd row and Payne is still the best full back in Ireland dislodging our best 13 who has a face which just doesnt fit with Ireland.
Coming into the new season we still need a functional coaching structure,we have yet to get set a structure which allows the developing players regular game time,we have serious gaps in the team such as back row,scrum half and out half which just happens to be 3 areas in the modern game which are essential to cover.
When I started this comment I said we were a nearly team and as I reflected on the season thats how we remain.For me the new seasons success or failure will be down to 2 things COACHING and CUNNINGHAM.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Nightsoil wrote:

Willie Faloon not a 7 :lol: Truly, you have a rare gift for comedy.

Taggart's an academy back row who played for Ireland U20s last season, frequently at 7 as it so happens.
Henderson, Wilson and Henry is a pretty decent backrow. However, with only Franco and Dan at lock then Hendo gets pulled into the engine room pretty sharpish. Really, we need a 6/lock of high calibre....
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

againstthehead wrote:
Nightsoil wrote:

Willie Faloon not a 7 Image Truly, you have a rare gift for comedy.

Henderson, Wilson and Henry is a pretty decent backrow. However, with only Franco and Dan at lock then Hendo gets pulled into the engine room pretty sharpish. Really, we need a 6/lock of high calibre....
Yes

Our starting XV is good. Up there with many of the best

Sadly it drops off dramatically when we look at the bench

Which is the exact same position we were in 5 years ago
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

if we have wilson, diack, williams and willie available during the rwc then we COULD be ok back row wise, with Tuohy also able to slot in if available, with Franco and AOC or Stevenson in the engine room. All depends on injuries of course. Front row of Black, herring and herbst, with big licence and lutton benching.

half backs are known weaknesses, assuming ruan and pj are away and we may also struggle for quality finishers on the wing, particularly if all 3 of our main men end up going to the world cup, which is a possibility.

If we can get the best out of Williams then that could really help us during the rwc.
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Taggart is a young back row who has done well in the last few Ravens games, he has been made up from the academy to a development contract and just made the emerging Ireland squad for the trip to Georgia. I'd say that is good progress.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

againstthehead wrote:Henderson, Wilson and Henry is a pretty decent backrow. However, with only Franco and Dan at lock then Hendo gets pulled into the engine room pretty sharpish. Really, we need a 6/lock of high calibre....
O'Connor has looked more than up to the job of being the bench option lock every time I see him.

Has a bit of cut to him.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Russ wrote:Sadly it drops off dramatically when we look at the bench
Hmmm. I think it drops off dramatically when you look beyond the "perfect" bench.

If everyone in the squad was fit, our teamsheet would look something like.

1. Black
2. Best
3. Herbst
4. Tuohy
5. Van Der Merwe
6. Henderson
7. Henry
8. Wilson

9. Pienaar
10. Jackson
11. Gilroy
12. Cave
13. Payne (I know, we'd all have him at 15, but this is our coaches' 1st choice team)
14. Bowe
15. Ludik

16. Herring
17. Warwick
18. Lutton
19. O'Connor
20. Diack
21. Marshall*
22. Olding
23. McCloskey

*not good enough.

Of course, how often is a whole squad fit?

So really, our only bench man who you'd single out as being not up to it is beagle. Obviously Diack and Lutton would find the going tough against the Toulons or Clermonts of this world - but you cannot realistically expect that class of player 2nd in our pecking order.
MARB
Novice

Post by MARB »

Amiga500 wrote:
Russ wrote:Sadly it drops off dramatically when we look at the bench
Hmmm. I think it drops off dramatically when you look beyond the "perfect" bench.

If everyone in the squad was fit, our teamsheet would look something like.

1. Black
2. Best
3. Herbst
4. Tuohy
5. Van Der Merwe
6. Henderson
7. Henry
8. Wilson

9. Pienaar
10. Jackson
11. Gilroy
12. Cave
13. Payne (I know, we'd all have him at 15, but this is our coaches' 1st choice team)
14. Bowe
15. Ludik

16. Herring
17. Warwick
18. Lutton
19. O'Connor
20. Diack
21. Marshall*
22. Olding
23. McCloskey

*not good enough.

Of course, how often is a whole squad fit?

So really, our only bench man who you'd single out as being not up to it is beagle. Obviously Diack and Lutton would find the going tough against the Toulons or Clermonts of this world - but you cannot realistically expect that class of player 2nd in our pecking order.
If everyone was fit, I'd have Gilroy on the bench and Trimble on the wing.

A trio of Gilroy, Olding and McCloskey to bring off the bench could and should be very effective.
"I would never bow to the knees of an opponent. I was never prepared to give second best to him and I'm sure that is the trait of a true Ulsterman."

Willie John McBride
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

MARB -we still need a back up 9 on the bench though? :scratch:

Could be interesting if all 3 wingers are fit to see who gets the nod for the big games.

I know we saw Olding at full back a couple of times previously. I wonder if we'll see some of that again next season
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I remember Giteau learnt how to play scrum half
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

MARB wrote: If everyone was fit, I'd have Gilroy on the bench and Trimble on the wing.
:duh:

Whoops!
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Out of Europe before Christmas and 6th place in the league. Unfortunately
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
MARB
Novice

Post by MARB »

Oh dear, bainfart on my part :shock:
Bank holiday Monday morning and all that! >burp

I agree Bart, Will be certainly interesting to see what happens, a lot to take into consideration. Would say AAT for the big games, given his experience. Just hope this injury hasn't fecked him up
"I would never bow to the knees of an opponent. I was never prepared to give second best to him and I'm sure that is the trait of a true Ulsterman."

Willie John McBride