Ulster vs Mexicans updates

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ulster vs Mexicans updates

Post by BuckRogers »

How in the name of sweet baby Jesus should O'Brien have seen red? Yes it was a bit careless but it wasn't on his neck/shoulder and no harm came from it. A yellow was fair. As Tana Umaga remarked this ain't tiddlywinks.

In more positive news what a match. First time I've left Ravenhill this season genuinely delighted with the result and performance. Leinster have had our number psychologically over the last number of years. They're not the team they once were but after going ten down I feared te worst.

Our pack were fantastic as a collective unit, everyone did what was required/expected of them. Individually they probably turned in their best respective games as well.

I'd give the backs plenty of credit as well. First try aside they were excellent in attack and defence. Cave showed huge heart with some of the crash balls he took up and Payne perhaps had his finest game as a 13 for Ulster. Jacko was largely excellent and Pienaar his usual cool and calm self. I've been critical of Gilroy before as being a bit headless but his game has came on leaps and bounds this season. Positionally sound conbined with improved physicality and with that improved defence. Ludik just does it week in week out.

Well done to all involved. Now just to savage Munster, a different proposition to a softish Leinster side with messrs POC, POM etc looking for blood.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

In my opinion, how the player lands should not dictate what colour of card is given as this will inevitably lead to players feigning injury, as for the incident itself, SOB and Kirchner lift Hendo above the horizontal, they then have a responsibility to bring the player down safely, this obviously he didn't in fact he threw him away without any due care for Henderson's wellbeing, the only thing that saved Henderson from injury was Kirchner's intervention, not that SOB knew this.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

scrum5 wrote:In my opinion, how the player lands should not dictate what colour of card is given as this will inevitably lead to players feigning injury, as for the incident itself, SOB and Kirchner lift Hendo above the horizontal, they then have a responsibility to bring the player down safely, this obviously he didn't in fact he threw him away without any due care for Henderson's wellbeing, the only thing that saved Henderson from injury was Kirchner's intervention, not that SOB knew this.
As we know the rules as currently applied mean how the player lands largely dictates the outcome in terms of card colour.

In other news Heaslip is one whingey tom kite.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BuckRogers wrote:
scrum5 wrote:In my opinion, how the player lands should not dictate what colour of card is given as this will inevitably lead to players feigning injury, as for the incident itself, SOB and Kirchner lift Hendo above the horizontal, they then have a responsibility to bring the player down safely, this obviously he didn't in fact he threw him away without any due care for Henderson's wellbeing, the only thing that saved Henderson from injury was Kirchner's intervention, not that SOB knew this.
As we know the rules as currently applied mean how the player lands largely dictates the outcome in terms of card colour.

In other news Heaslip is one whingey tom kite.
Wha abou tha yella. Ref, the yella
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The most impressive thing last night and I include Hendy was the collective attitude. Going 10 nil down after seven minutes would rattle many a side, but the level of composure was a thing to behold. The guys stuck to the process and ground away at Leinster until they had nothing left. I thought Leinster were busted at half time, but they came again at the start of the second half. Still our lads kept to the game plan and never showed any panic or lost shape. It was the performance of a team that has been playing meaningful rugby at the business end of the season for a few years.
I remain highly optimistic that we will finish second.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

We were still dung in the 3rd 20
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote: I remain highly optimistic that we will finish second.
I reckon we need 8 points for a top 2 finish and if we get those, we're as likely to be 1st ... I think :scratch:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

That bloody result v Zebre is haunting us....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Just watched the match... again - it keeps on giving. Payne doing a 1F and forcing SOB back 5 yards at the start of the second half, just before Henderson did the same with Heaslip. Also, have a look at the wee burst of wide-eyed passion from Ludik after Gilly's try. A big tackle from Ruan towards the end... didn't think I'd see those words in the same sentence.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cornerfleg wrote:That bloody result v Zebre is haunting us....
It may well
We will need 8 points for a top two.
I fancy Glasgow to sort out the Ospreys in Wales next time out. That will leave them in a guaranteed top two spot and as long as we beat turnipstan, we will go to Glasgow and they have little to play for. If that is the case, I like our chances at Scotstoun.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

solidarity wrote:Just watched the match... again - it keeps on giving. Payne doing a 1F and forcing SOB back 5 yards at the start of the second half, just before Henderson did the same with Heaslip. Also, have a look at the wee burst of wide-eyed passion from Ludik after Gilly's try. A big tackle from Ruan towards the end... didn't think I'd see those words in the same sentence.
That's exactly it. They are all into this and belief will be growing.
On the subject of Ruan, junior remarked last night how he is like a Meerkat when he gets the ball, looking to see what's on. He looks back to his best again, rested and focussed.
Tazz #15
Initiate

Post by Tazz #15 »

If the boys carry the same positive attitude into their next 2 games it will be half the battle. Like Snipe says, they showed a resilience and mental toughness that very few of us have seen from them. It almost seems like a sheer determination to get over line and finally get some silverware.

Couple that with far from convincing displays from our next two opponents and there's every reason for optimism, careful optimism. Munster looked very ordinary (I know we are more than capable of this as well), and Glasgow just showed what we already know, they don't like it up them.
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

[quote="BuckRogers"]How in the name of sweet baby Jesus should O'Brien have seen red? Yes it was a bit careless but it wasn't on his neck/shoulder and no harm came from it. A yellow was fair. As Tana Umaga remarked this ain't tiddlywinks.

You truly are an ass. So you believe that if you lift a player horizontally to your shoulder height and then throw him away, that doesn't deserve a red card?! The only thing that may have saved O'Brien was that Kirchner held on to him and that Henderson managed to twist onto his back before impact. Oh yes and the fact that O'Brien comes from God's own province.

What happened to having a duty of care to look after a player that you have lifted? O'Brien jettisoned Henderson without a thought or a care in the world with how he was going to land. Disgraceful.

If you think that's ok then maybe you should start watching WWF. Might suit you better.
LTHG
weecounty
Novice

Re:Good Luck from a Mexican

Post by weecounty »

We made our annual trip to Ravenhill, which as always is a bit of craic. The banter with the Ulster fans is always great and I have to admit i felt delighted that you guys won not just because you were far and away the better side but you have something to play for , namely the Pro 12. It was great to see a set a backs that looked dangerous as we can only dream of such stuff nowadays.
Young baby face Henderson was awesome, from 9 to 15 you had all the cards. Gone are the days of Blue Magic and God at 13, we have managed to lose not just once but twice this year to the mighty Dragons!
Away I want to wish you guys all the best in your remaining fixtures and hopefully you go all the way and win it.Best of luck ( just be carefully of Gregor Townsend's lads).
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

:salut: