Ulster Rugby and Where We Are

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster Rugby and Where We Are

Post by Snipe Watson »

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

I have no idea what his input has been: a watching brief, daily phone calls, input to tactics or sneaky visits to training. Whatever it has been he hasn't had the opportunity to put his stamp on the team.
I'm assuming that he will be a coaching DOR as opposed to a pen pusher like Humph with Bryn in the non tracksuit role.
The big problems that I see for us from this season are: discipline and leadership. The on field discipline needs to be examined and the Johann shaped vacuum needs to be filled. Senior players need to take individual responsibility for their performances and we need to keep 15 players on the field at all times. Most of this is cultural stuff which comes with a head coach that man manages effectively and imposes an absolute culture of discipline. With hindsight, we should not be surprised that the loss of DOR, Head Coach and especially captain led to a down turn in discipline. Doaky finding his feet has been a learning curve at a team that was by all accounts riven by schisms and blood letting.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Mildly worrying that everyone here says discipline is an issue and nought seems to be done. Leadership, yeah, that's a bit harder to magic out of the air overnight - but discipline?

When it comes to Kiss, everything is hope - but I hope that his time spent around Schmidt means he'll bring that focus here. A bit more steel at the core, a bit less shat on the fringes and a bit less stupidity all round and good things could happen, yet it seems I might as well wish for the moon.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Nightsoil wrote:Mildly worrying that everyone here says discipline is an issue and nought seems to be done. Leadership, yeah, that's a bit harder to magic out of the air overnight - but discipline?

When it comes to Kiss, everything is hope - but I hope that his time spent around Schmidt means he'll bring that focus here. A bit more steel at the core, a bit less shat on the fringes and a bit less stupidity all round and good things could happen, yet it seems I might as well wish for the moon.
Well obviously discipline is a problem, we are so far adrift at the bottom of the fair play league we are out of sight. This was a 'title' we used to win. At the time many, including myself, scoffed a little at the fairplay league, but this year we have seen the outworking of finishing bottom. Penalties and cards take their toll over the course of a season. I'm led to believe that this particular anomaly has not gone unnoticed and measures are being put in place to reverse the downward slide.
Big Steve
Novice

Post by Big Steve »

I think realism is setting in - Glasgow were too good - simple as that. It's not just one result against Glasgow it's a string of results. Let's forget the pathetic excuses and sour grapes and face reality. A lot of the above analysis regarding the quality (or otherwise) of players is fairly accurate. I for one will be cheering on Glasgow in the final.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Big Steve wrote:I think realism is setting in - Glasgow were too good - simple as that. It's not just one result against Glasgow it's a string of results. Let's forget the pathetic excuses and sour grapes and face reality. A lot of the above analysis regarding the quality (or otherwise) of players is fairly accurate. I for one will be cheering on Glasgow in the final.
They weren't though. Glasgow were pish, and why its even harder to take.
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

We are in deep s8ite guys, the players need to stand up and take the fact we are always going to be behind the ladyboys and turnips to me,its not good enough.......I demand we get silver ware not fall back on our heiney 99 win.......We ALL need to take responsibility.....
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

HammerTime wrote:
Big Steve wrote:I think realism is setting in - Glasgow were too good - simple as that. It's not just one result against Glasgow it's a string of results. Let's forget the pathetic excuses and sour grapes and face reality. A lot of the above analysis regarding the quality (or otherwise) of players is fairly accurate. I for one will be cheering on Glasgow in the final.

Look at their home record this season and also their record in the Rabo/Pro 12 over the past few seasons. They are clearly a decent side. Like it or not.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Bart S wrote:
HammerTime wrote:

Look at their home record this season and also their record in the Rabo/Pro 12 over the past few seasons. They are clearly a decent side. Like it or not.
Yes their record is great but yesterday they weren't up to much. Ulster were the better team, only let down by complete and utter idiocy in the second half and last 5 mins espeically with the ridiculous game plan, kicks out on full and Lutton being a tool.
Binman
Novice

Post by Binman »

Our home record has been great and we have been, largely, pish. How many of the Glasgow team would make our starting 15?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Binman wrote:Our home record has been great and we have been, largely, pish. How many of the Glasgow team would make our starting 15?
Kellock
Strauss
Hogg
Grant

But I'd take a lot more on the bench
Ashe
Pyrgos
Russell
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

They weren't too good, we were too stupid.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Binman wrote:Our home record has been great and we have been, largely, pish. How many of the Glasgow team would make our starting 15?
Well if we've been like that at home and given our away record, then there is only one conclusion. Ulster are NOT any good and therefore shouldn't expect to be winning these games.

The "how many of their players would you take" argument doesn't really stack up as we naturally have an in built bias towards our own because we watch them every week. Our pack on friday had black, lutton, tuphy, stevenosn and wilson. No disrespect to any of them, but other top teams will believe they have better players in most cases.

22 games in the season and their record over a number of years now means they deserve some respect (for their ability) that some on here refuse to give them (and i'm not talking about anything related to friday night's antics.