Season review-positives and negatives

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Re: Season review-positives and negatives

Post by jackthelad »

MCBwinwinwin wrote:We need to address the academy's inability to produce forwards and scrum halves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you don't put them in - e.g. Chris Taylor.. and don't give them games you end up with disenchanted young men who see little worth in what they are doing. No leadership, little interest shown and feck all rugby.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cromie. Is he one that got away?
Spodo Komodo

Post by Spodo Komodo »

Anyone notice we were bottom of the Pro12 Fair Play League this year? 10 yellows, 2 reds and 4 upheld citings. For "Fair Play" read "Poor Discipline" For "Poor Discipline" read "Poor Coaching". It cost us at key moments this season.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Spodo Komodo wrote:Anyone notice we were bottom of the Pro12 Fair Play League this year? 10 yellows, 2 reds and 4 upheld citings. For "Fair Play" read "Poor Discipline" For "Poor Discipline" read "Poor Coaching". It cost us at key moments this season.
In fairness didn`t need a table to tell us what we already knew
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Does anyone believe Ulster are a dirty rugby team ? Does anyone believe Ulster cheat? Cheat more often than other sides ? I for one don't and given the injuries inflicted on Ulster players I have little doubt some teams have been lucky in not being cited during the season past .
Yellow cards are a lottery at the best of times and frequently farcical and petty and more the product of excessive ego being shown by referees than foul play .

Many reflect the sort of give a dog a bad name situation and referees falling in with a preconceived notion .

Red cards are something else - Deccie lost it and the red was an unavoidable consequence .
I have in the past highlighted the stupidity of going into a ruck at pace at best it will only result in a penalty but frequently could easily result in a card for dangerous play . Rather than try to disrupt the recycle protect the fringe and ensure the player does not make the gain line .

My conclusion is that the major failing has been the lack of leadership on the field and the inability to collectively retain focus and concentration being the major factor to giving penalties at the wrong time and allowing that to disrupt the collective concentration further

Eg last Friday a bad referees decision gave away one penalty followed quickly by a second and a team who had the game within its grasp and in command in the opposition half was quickly defending repeated attacks within 5 metres of their line .
Their concentration was gone

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Strangely rum I largely agree. The Matawalu penalty was frustrating but the second penalty was just another example of the collective stupidity that seems to afflict almost all of our players at one point or another.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I don't think we're dirty I think we're thick.
That table accurately reflects intelligence levels.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

jackthelad wrote:
MCBwinwinwin wrote:We need to address the academy's inability to produce forwards and scrum halves.

If you don't put them in - e.g. Chris Taylor.. and don't give them games you end up with disenchanted young men who see little worth in what they are doing. No leadership, little interest shown and feck all rugby.
Taylor was mentioned recently at the recent Doak/Bryn URSC soundbyte evening.
Their synopsis. Not up to it in the big boys league. International U20 props are about 3rd XV club standard and get their arses handed to them if promoted too quickly.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Someone mentioned 10+ leaving; I have only six definites -
Heaney - ??? Andrew - Nottingham Fitzpatrick - retired Butterworth and Adair - Jersey and Allen - Edinburgh
Anyone know more?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Setanta wrote:Someone mentioned 10+ leaving; I have only six definites -
Heaney - ??? Andrew - Nottingham Fitzpatrick - retired Butterworth and Adair - Jersey and Allen - Edinburgh
Anyone know more?
Raymaaker, McComish, McCombe, the crap temp signings,
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

The two McCs - is that definite or just wishful thinking?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Kofi Annan wrote:
MCBwinwinwin wrote:I've no idea. I'm gonna guess the academy. If you get a group of talented players in you should be able to churn out a few second rows.

O' Connor

Not our academy alone, though? . . . Leinster schools, was he invovled with Leinster age-grades or Academy too?
It's the hope that kills you.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Players leaving this season for one reason or another are Michael Heaney( Doncaster), Neil McComb ( no club), Mike McComish (no club), Ricky Andrew (Notts), Charlie Butterworth(Jersey), Declan Fitzpatrick (retired), Michael Allen (Edinburgh), James Simpson(?), Ross Adair(Jersey), Michael Stanley( short term contract up ) I have also heard Hairy Dave is going and there was talk that Sean Reidy was going but UR may have decided against it now. That by my reckoning is 11 also a question mark over Conor Joyce who UR think is too lightweight.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

scrum5 wrote:Players leaving this season for one reason or another are Michael Heaney( Doncaster), Neil McComb ( no club), Mike McComish (no club), Ricky Andrew (Notts), Charlie Butterworth(Jersey), Declan Fitzpatrick (retired), Michael Allen (Edinburgh), James Simpson(?), Ross Adair(Jersey), Michael Stanley( short term contract up ) I have also heard Hairy Dave is going and there was talk that Sean Reidy was going but UR may have decided against it now. That by my reckoning is 11 also a question mark over Conor Joyce who UR think is too lightweight.
That's a lot of shoes for four guys to fill, especially as two of them appear to be Butterworthesque punts.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

That's what I thought Snipe but the truth is there's no one there apart from Deccie :duck: who you'd miss, time for the academy lads to sink or swim and I don't think that's a bad thing
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.