Are we headed for dark times??

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Are we headed for dark times??

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Yes yes yes this is all fine and good but which ballix removed my post and why? Utterly non-contentious I would have thought.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Kofi Annan wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Modern professional sport has become a product and womens rugby /football are not a great draw in terms of attendances.
If someone wants to pay them that is their prerogative and good luck to them but I just don`t see what is to gain from it in a financial sense.

However just because they are women per say does not entitle them to be paid any more than the GAA players or Rugby players of yesteryear.
Certainly womens rugby is nowhere the draw of either of those sports in terms of popularity or sponsorship and until it is I would find it hard to justify paying those players any more than any other amateur dedicated to their sport.
Bazza

12K turned up last week to watch France Play Ireland
That's a decent crowd. That match was the first time I've watched a full women's game. I did enjoy it and was surprised by the intensity and edge.
Difficult to see how a professional structure could be sustained below International level, in Ireland at any rate. Maybe I'm wrong. The professional approach is a bit cart before the horse at the minute but I suppose that also applied to the men's game in the 90s.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Yes yes yes this is all fine and good but which ballix removed my post and why? Utterly non-contentious I would have thought.
...and you a radical feminist.

Sure you have to be these days ... it's the only way to get a shag >EW
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
The Fonz
Novice

Post by The Fonz »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Yes yes yes this is all fine and good but which ballix removed my post and why? Utterly non-contentious I would have thought.
Keep your hair on BaggyTrousers, no one removed your post as I am just after checking, it must never have been posted properly. >elvis
Keep Cool 8)
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

The Fonz wrote:
Keep your hair on BaggyTrousers,
Too late Shirley? :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Kofi Annan wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Modern professional sport has become a product and womens rugby /football are not a great draw in terms of attendances.
If someone wants to pay them that is their prerogative and good luck to them but I just don`t see what is to gain from it in a financial sense.

However just because they are women per say does not entitle them to be paid any more than the GAA players or Rugby players of yesteryear.
Certainly womens rugby is nowhere the draw of either of those sports in terms of popularity or sponsorship and until it is I would find it hard to justify paying those players any more than any other amateur dedicated to their sport.
Bazza

12K turned up last week to watch France Play Ireland
Feck me fair play to that Kofi, I only thought that it was one man/woman and his dog stuff.
However I still think the associations should pay them because it merits it and not because people and organisations like to be seen to be doing the PC thing.
Just thinking of other people who are equally dedicated to their sports and don`t get compensation and I don`t believe sacrifice by itself should be the criteria.
Plenty people do sports and hobbies well out of pocket and time and energy so why shouldn't they be compensated and all?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

The Fonz wrote:
Keep your hair on BaggyTrousers, no one removed your post as I am just after checking, it must never have been posted properly. >elvis
Feck, it's a plot I tell yis. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Fonz, late night wooden fingers I suppose, the ould insomnia is playing me up. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
Keep your hair on BaggyTrousers,
Too late Shirley? :lol:
Yip.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Once a Knight wrote:
What is it that you resent? I really don't understand what you're getting at.

When you say revenue streams, do you mean no one watches women's rugby so it shouldn't be funded?

I trained years ago. I was dedicated. I never had the option of a career in sport but did ok outside it. The modern women's representative sides which is what we are talking about play a full 6Ns programme. They have an RWC. They play full interpros. Several take jobs that facilitate this as opposed to jobs they could otherwise have. Many of these players are following professional level training regimes with no prospect whatsoever of any spin off of career out of it.

I really really don't understand what you resent.
Eh... I've no idea actually :scratch: :lol:

Read back and not sure myself what point I was trying to make >crazy1
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

If the weemin's RWC final is at Ravers, is it reasonable to assume that the Ireland pool games will also be there? Might toddle along for those.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:If the weemin's RWC final is at Ravers, is it reasonable to assume that the Ireland pool games will also be there? Might toddle along for those.
If the weemen's RWC final is at Ravers, and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Ireland are playing in it, would it be acceptable if no Ulster players were in the 15/23?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

All pool games are being played in dublin I think one of the universities.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

UCD it is. Semi finals at Queens final in ravenhill

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

NO were are not heading for dark times, especially if we can find a bloody back up 10 - Jackson, Olding & Nelson, the 3 Gingers will do me - and a 9 who doesn't need his nippsie booted inside out to back up Ruan and she's apples.

Look at the squad next season

15 Ludik, Charless, Payne, Gilly, Nelson
14/11 Trimble, Charless, Bowe, Gilroy, Stockdale
12/13 Payne, Cave, Olding, Marshall, McCloskey, Ludik
10 Jackson, Olding, Nelson (UR may have other ideas)
9 Pienaar -nobody else worth spit - wee-p , Shanahan
8 Coetzee, Henry, a potential Mexican/
7 Henry, Reidy, Faloon?, Coetzee
6 Henderson, Coetzee, Diack, CRoss
4/5 Henderson, Van der Merve, Tuohy, O'Connor, Treadwell
3 Herbst, Ah-feck, Lutton
2 Best, Herring, Andrew
1 McCall, Black, Warwick

That is not heading for dark times, halfback is the issue with answers at 10 if we use them, problems at 9. Most of the rest is fine, some could be a bit stronger, hopefully more to come from the academy.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

The Fonz wrote:
Is Baggy really HTS? Hmmmmm.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.