Are we headed for dark times??

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Eggs
Warrior Chief

Are we headed for dark times??

Post by Eggs »

I can not be the the only person feeling like this. Where are Ulster heading?! I have the same feeling about the squad as I did before the dark times post 1999. We have no back row to speak of, our 'strength in depth' is literally a joke,we look hopeless away from home, and the one big signing we have coming is a winger, when we already have tommy, Craig and trimble giving us a dilemma!

These terrible away performances are not going to be fixed by the return of our world cup players. I really don't see us as anything better than a mid table team, and Im not sure whats going to happen to change that.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Are we headed for dark times??

Post by damianmcr »

That's a handy dilemma to have though.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Charles plays 15 as well.

2 big signings sealed already so don't worry.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

kingofthehill wrote:Charles plays 15 as well.

In addition to Piutau?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Plus he's young. Bowe will be 32 when Charlie arrives. Plus with the the injuries we rarely see all three you mentioned in the same squad unfortunately.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

kingofthehill wrote:Charles plays 15 as well.

Bryn hard at work?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Eggs you need to keep your reading up to date ould haun' , I posted my distress a month or two back, highlighting the age profile of more or less all of our top players and the dearth of quality coming through. Of the "better" players on Gilroy could be said to be young, then a gap to Cave at 28, then nothing under 30. Scary, eh? :shock:

Do yourselves a favour and look on the Ulster website at the squad profiles, maybe a wee trip to Tesco and get a wheen of bog roll in first.

Like Koth I've heard two impressive names mentioned (usual suspects, no PMS I'm saying nothing based on rumour) but top top class if true.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Not even my PM?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Sadly not Damo, sorry, when I believe I'll not be tight mouthed. >EW

Oh, but if KOTH reckons there are two gooduns, chances are there'll be two gooduns?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Am I getting this right, we have two good signings, so all will be okay :scratch:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Kofi Annan wrote:Am I getting this right, we have two good signings, so all will be okay :scratch:
Nah but we will be a bit better than at present
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

In answer to the original question, No.....we are already there
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Kofi Annan wrote:Am I getting this right, we have two good signings, so all will be okay :scratch:
And therein lies the problem.

With a NIQ quota of 4 players plus a project, the remaining 30+ players in the squad need to be either home grown or IQ foreigners (seems very rare to find decent quality IQ foreigners). In times of need, Leinster and Munster have both pilfered from Connacht, but we don't seem to have that ability.

Assuming a playing career of 8-10 years, that means that the Academy needs to produce 3-4 first team players per year of which one needs to be international quality. Furthermore, we need to produce these players across all positions, not just produce a load of wingers for 3 years, then a load of centres for the next 3. Clearly we desperately need back row forwards coming through now but can anyone remember the last truly international quality scrum half produced by an Ulster school? I'm scratching my head to think of anyone more recent than Colin Patterson (with an honourable mention to Andy Matchett).

So when is this much lauded academy going to start delivering the goods?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The fact remains Ulster don't need "any old "signings Ulster need specific signings for specific positions

Such as back row first and foremost because the players who make the major difference are those between the front five and 12 and after the back row a world class scrum half to replace Ruan when he decides to go back to SA .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Away outta that with you, it'll be a good sticking plaster and no more, the problems maybe be slightly delayed until I emigrate and then we are going to be fighting it out for a SDC place.