Dragons v Ulster Sun 8th Nov 2:30pm Dave Parade BBCNI

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Re: Dragons v Ulster Sun 8th Nov 2:30pm Dave Parade BBCNI

Post by thecrouch »

Russ wrote:
HwoodMike2umate wrote:Just goes to show that you don't want to be winning at half-time.
Shut up Mike
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Poor Mike.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

I guess there will now be footage of the President and entourage tomorrow at 11 am respecting the fallen at the memorial arch. just to win the hearts and mind.

Had a great day yesterday at Dave Parade, quiet a few fans did comment about the lack of poppies on players shirts etc, personally i think its a decision each of us has the right to make without being forced upon anyone . How did i remember , well i had a wee drink to those who are no longer with us. simple, then got on with getting smashed.

However, its not one that the politically correct brigade at Ravers would ever make as its too controversial and does not sit with "their" view of inclusiveness, ie the team they put to together with residents from lower Ormeau and two Rhodesians, sorry Zimbabweans. that ticked a box even if it was highly offensive, as Rugby in Ireland has always been inclusive without a manufactured team for a bit of spin.

Thoughts on the game, we done alright. McCall stood tall, Mulholland not so much. the standard of Pro12 is pants to be honest.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

So would those wee pins that hold the poppies on not hurt? and they couldn't have used those stick on ones as Mulholland would have lost his from the off.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Sorry I am with Russ on this but what a cringeworthy statement from UR…. how pathetic just to run off a list of other clubs that didn't wear a poppy either as some form of justification.

They could have gone further and highlighted the fact that many Irish Rugby players paid the ultimate sacrifice in both wars when referencing the War Memorial and dropped all that other rubbish..

and yes I also agree with kofi with UR's pathetic attempt to try and sell rugby as an inclusive sport played by everyone with 'that match' when it has been that way since its inception.
Last edited by Cockatrice on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cockatrice wrote:Sorry I am with Russ on this but what a cringeworthy statement from UR…. how pathetic just to run off a list of other clubs that didn't wear a poppy either as some form of justification.

They could have gone further and highlighted the fact that many Irish Rugby players paid the ultimate sacrifice in both wars when referencing the War Memorial and dropped all that other rubbish..

and yes I also agree with kofi with UR's pathetic attempt to try and sell rugby as an inclusive sport played by everyone when it has been that way since its inception.
Don't be sorry
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Kofi Annan wrote:I guess there will now be footage of the President and entourage tomorrow at 11 am respecting the fallen at the memorial arch. just to win the hearts and mind.

Had a great day yesterday at Dave Parade, quiet a few fans did comment about the lack of poppies on players shirts etc, personally i think its a decision each of us has the right to make without being forced upon anyone . How did i remember , well i had a wee drink to those who are no longer with us. simple, then got on with getting smashed.

However, its not one that the politically correct brigade at Ravers would ever make as its too controversial and does not sit with "their" view of inclusiveness, ie the team they put to together with residents from lower Ormeau and two Rhodesians, sorry Zimbabweans. that ticked a box even if it was highly offensive, as Rugby in Ireland has always been inclusive without a manufactured team for a bit of spin.

Thoughts on the game, we done alright. McCall stood tall, Mulholland not so much. the standard of Pro12 is pants to be honest.

ps…. re that match was it Malone 3rds or Malone 5ths that they played?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Personally, I think it's a major blunder UR not having some sort of team recognition for Remembrance Day. The clue is in the MEMORIAL END...Even something as simple as discreet armbands or something for the players to choose to wear (or not) subtly. Poor form. 100% baulk regarding the trend towards Poppy Facism and invading personal choice, but UR is an collective entity not an individual, and some effort should've been made, given it's history.

But should we expect any better from UR, who also shat it when IRFU reneged on the long standing Anthem deal for the Pre-RWC friendly at Ravers with Italy?... I noted even the Irish Ladies Hockey team, from memory, wouldn't let anyone away with that cr*p.

Basically, it pigeonholes UR with the ignorant such as the G8ttersnipe chuckies like McClean who haven't an ounce of respect or brains to really understand what it's about, and the PUL cretins, who similarly haven't a clue, but wear it to coat trail; and gives tw*ts like Nolan, the DUP and the BT something to bluster about. Not that I give a shyte about their opinions, but it was the appropriate thing for UR to show recognition, nothing more or less.

Time to move on.

Anyway, seemingly at odds with most, I thought Diack was excellent, two daft pens notwithstanding, McCall proved why he should be a regular in the squad, and pushing the cosy complacency out of Warwick and CB. Still better at Tighthead though.... but he had his Dragons T/H in all sorts of bother.
Equally excellently, Nelson was pretty rock, and has benefitted from the confidence of being selcted, starting, and not having some pr*ck Kiwi telling him he's shyte as man management.
Sam Arnold, despite his promise, still looks a bit green and not as good as he thinks he is, but with a killer sidestep. A lot to learn. Better from FVDM and Chewy, but honestly, Lewis is playing better than both atm.

Jacko- still no.2 O/Half in Ireland, regardless of what Joe Shyte thinks.
Smallp, try aside, was the usual roller coaster of gash and pretty good- he butchered at least 3 try scoring chances with passes that couldn't hit the a*se of a bull elephant with a banjo. Bless.

Point taken, though, it's Dragons, not Sorries or Toulouse, but small steps I suppose.

Ladybois still to win the Pro 12 and last 4 inSDC though. We've lost the arms race, along with Munter.
Exterminate all rational thought
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

CI you were not alone in thinking Diack was useful, I remarked on numerous occasions he actually looked like he wasn't just a big soft fairy.

McCall is not better at TH, that's not even my personal opinion it is an indisputable fact.

He's a very good LH but an average to poor TH. He struggles playing TH at AIL level.

Not sure about the respect being afforded to Leinster. They still don't have a centre pairing and their starting back three are slower than time. Good props, good backrow, average hookers and average locks.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Diack added pace and some power (unusually) in an area we're lacking both with Williams and Rog.
TBH, I always fancied him at 8 with Chad and Hendo- mix of power, pace, lineout excellence, and a groundhog with Rory. Nice balance. If Diack had more line breaking power, he'd be an exceptional 8.

We will serially (but cordially) disagree on McCall ref best position, but hopefully agree that he is a useful "prospect" who should now be coached to "fruition" and quick.

McCall, Macklin, McAllister, Annett; someone's missing a trick with our front row forwards.....

Not sure I agree ref Ladyboi's Buck:

Madigan & T'Eo are more than useful, Sexton at 10, Redden, Both Kearneys, Look Zoolander, Krichner, McFadden, etc is hardly weak at SDC and Pro 12 level.

2 international front rows, Toner, 5-6 international back rows; Conan, Ryan, Heaslip, OBrien, Ruddock etc...?
And all relatively fit and playing.
I wish Ulster were that weak.....
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Surprised that not more have chosen to query the much more experienced and highly acclaimed Herbst who not for the first time this season was poor..
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

I think for once we have been looking to some of the positives. Acceptance that whilst not a vintage performance by any stretch the majority of the guys under scrutiny did what was required and some even surpassed expectations.

I would also suggest that Herbst wasn't that poor, our scrum was comfortable throughout admittedly the Dragons were shyte. Conceded a soft turnover but also put in a few good positive hits in defence.

I'm also pleasantly surprised that for all the doom mongering done prior it was ultimately proved unfounded.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cockatrice wrote:Surprised that not more have chosen to query the much more experienced and highly acclaimed Herbst who not for the first time this season was poor..
I elevated him to mediocre to be fair. And Stankovich is a good (not great )loosehead from a hard scrummaging school..

Seems to be getting a modicum of his mojo back, but not the force of last season. I still think he looks unfit and lethargic.

Whats worries me, is he still looks genuinely puzzled when he gets pinged... where's our scrum coach fs?....
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I consider the one minutes silence to be the Act of respect

A Poppy is a token received in recognition of a donation to the British Legion .

A printed poppy on a jersey is meaningless and those who fail to recognise that fact have little understanding of the meaning of either Charity or respect
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Surprised that not more have chosen to query the much more experienced and highly acclaimed Herbst who not for the first time this season was poor..
I elevated him to mediocre to be fair. And Stankovich is a good (not great )loosehead from a hard scrummaging school..

Seems to be getting a modicum of his mojo back, but not the force of last season. I still think he looks unfit and lethargic.

Whats worries me, is he still looks genuinely puzzled when he gets pinged... where's our scrum coach fs?....
CI… that too has worried me constant pinging and the puzzled look. It has happened with more than one ref so I must assume that he is doing something wrong which as you say with proper input would be corrected. It is as if no one can be arsed to de-brief the refs and then sit down with him and correct the fault. I am sure that in the scrum before he was taken off the ref had a word with him and told him to stop doing what he was doing… if it had been just the one game then fine but it is game after game.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

CT, to be honest, I would need to look at a couple of his worse games and see what the supposed issue was. I thought that in a few early games, he was standing with his feet too far back, and therefore prone to folding/ collapsing- can't remember who his tighthead lock was, but Herbst is short and squat, so he doesn't need to do it unlike a taller tighthead. His feet should be planted just behind his arris, which makes it more difficult for a loosehead to pull him forward and down on the hinge. Straight back or slightly angled to work into the hookers ribs ( >EW :thumleft: )
I think he's also been quite passive, locking rather than attacking and splintering the scrum on their put in. Back to fitness?
I'm concerned he's getting a reputation which may be undeserved, and with the ignorance of Pro12 refs, they're going to err against someone with "history."
But his blindside flanker needs to do more too- ie drive on in on both him to keep him straight, and keep the loosehead honest with a follow through on the collapse or make a scene to the ref about the loosehead driving in on the angle. I haven't seen an awful lot of that since Fez retired. But then we tend ot play left and right nowadays, more than open and blind. I aways thought the Tighthead needs the bulkier flanker packing down. Just me really.

But I'll say it till I'm sick- I think he looks unfit and maybe slightly disineterested. He has no real competition at the minute. It was noticable, to be fair to Lutton, who is not a great tighthead, the difference when he came on. Dragons got a couple of mullerings, one with McCloskey at 6, which may validate some of my point ref a bulky flanker.