The run in.....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The run in.....

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Right then, several issues left needing a definitive answer.

Ireland:

- all you bullshitters need to understand that your nonsense of "things up sleeves" was always just nonsense
- COYBIB Schmidt for his entire existence as Ireland coach has been informed mainly by his experience as a Mexican and much as he is a fine coach, his selection has been blighted by his reliance on what worked with him at the RDS.
- if he is finally prepared to forgoe his comfort blanket and dump the likes of Bob for a better player, then that is to be welcomed and Bob could take his now exposed brother with him, maybe they could go and look cool elsewhere, perhaps in some manly poses on Grinder.
- third place awaits unless Wales blow it on Sunday

Ulster

- it is gratifying to see that many of you are catching up to what I said some six weeks or more ago, to wit, that despite some awful early performances, many of the tougher games are out of the way and this league is winnable from here.
- iHumph, the notion that he should ever play again is risible. This is not American football, you do not bring on the kicking team, you must play 14 on 15 if you include him. The much maligned Rum'n is absolutely correct in pointing out the knock on influence in how the team manage situations to accommodate his presence,
- "but its not fair on Olding" :duh: bullshite, if he needs to play 10 for a few weeks, I see nothing written here that overrides the necessity of not having a flake that may squander the opportunity of the next few months.
- We need to understand that 5 if our current best players are all centres. Do we just want 2 of them to play? We need to use what we have to best effect which 100% means Olding should be 10 until Paddy returns. If you doubt that I suggest you look at the Treviso game once more, look at the utter ballix of a performance delivered by Humphreys and study the match from when Olding moved to 10. Unless you are an idiot, the scales will fall from your eyes and you will be like thon boy on the road to Damascus, light will be seen.
- if and when those 5 centres are all available my thinking is that McCloskey currently has earned first dibs on 12, and with Payne our best 15 by a distance (with all respect to Ludik) that is where he is most effective for Ulster, leaving Cave as 13 and in my view Olding is perfect, for now until he is fully back to settled form, as the man you use from the bench against tiring teams or as injury dictates. That leaves the admirable Luke to contest the 23 shirt with Ludik and Scholes but of course, should all be fit there will be rotation.
- predictions are always prone to make assholes out of predictors, to those espousing no hope of success in Glasgow or Swansea, I have nothing to say but this:

Payne, Trimble, Cave, McCloskey/Olding, Gilroy, Jackson, Pienaar, Williams, Henry, Henderson, Franco,O'Connor/Tuohy, Herbst, Best,McCall.

Black/Warwick, Herring, Lutton, O'Connor/Tuohy, Diack, Wee-p, Olding/Humphreys, Marshall/Ludik/Scholes

And you are telling me that team would have absolutely no chance of winning and barely a hope of a bonus point? Away and ride yer haund big lad. That team may never be available but something close to it is pretty much the best equipped team in the league, it's then down to having the balls to win big games. A bigger question for my money.

- a very fine friend has offered the solution to Ulster's first half tardiness. Les needs to give his halftime talk before the match. Simple.

Now that those matters are cleared up, don't be afraid to ask for any clarifications on these or other matters of import.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Bart S wrote:
ruckover wrote:Isn't it incredible how much better young home-grown Academy players play than journeymen. And yet we still seem apprehensive to give them chances.
Ruck - firstly, by definition a journeyman is not that good.
By definition, a journeyman is precisely good enough!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

We've been helped
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Russ wrote:We've been helped
Welcome to the party pal !
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Russ wrote:We've been helped
Welcome to the party pal !
Listen Bruce. Calm down
Nobody wants to see you take down this hostage situation.

Die Hard ended after the 3rd. Stop making rubbish sequels
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Fitzuseless out for entire 6N.

Had fibber named him as a centre or a wing?

We now likely to lose Cave or Gilroy to 6N and most likely to see the release of Lukie less likely.

Feck'n chocolate teapot affecting our run in.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Fitzuseless out for entire 6N.

We now likely to lose Cave or Gilroy to 6N and most likely to see the release of Lukie less likely.

Squad being cut very soon. No call ups
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:Fitzuseless out for entire 6N.

Squad being cut very soon. No call ups
Get away with ye.......
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

The Run In ..........too early?

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Looks like we have the closest run race in ages/ever, with more teams involved than normal, so here is the table:

Ulster 14 9 0 5 45
Connacht 14 9 0 5 45
Leinster 13 10 0 3 44
Scarlets 14 10 0 4 44
Edinburgh 14 8 0 6 38
Munster 13 8 0 5 37
Ospreys 14 7 1 6 34
Glasgow 12 5 1 6 30

These are the runners and riders and I take all seriously barring Embra who are already a little adrift & the least well equipped to get back into the top 4, I consider them "gone" though of course with fixtures at home against, Connacht, Scarlets and away to Munster, Ospreys & Leinster they may have a part to play but I'm ruling them out.

The following are the fixtures for the other teams on the top 8:

Ulster

Scarlets H
Cardiff A
Zebre H
Glasgow A
Connacht H
Zebre A
Leinster H
Ospreys A

So, 4 home, 4 away, 2 tough away games, possibly 2 tough home games, 5 games against the top teams, 3 against the bottom 4 teams

Connacht

Zebre A
Ospreys H
Embra A
Leinster H
Ulster A
Munster H
Treviso A
Glasgow H

4 home, 4 away this is an incredibly tough schedule, home games all of which will be real battles, Ospreys, Leinster, Munster, Glasgow plus away trips to Embra which could be tough & to Ulster. I think that schedule to an extent explains why Connacht are joint top. If they finish in the top 6 they could yet make the SDC & a top 4 finish will see me not alone in doffing my duncher to them. Winning it or even topping the league?

Leinster

Cardiff A
Zebre A
Ospreys H
Glasgow A
Connacht A
Munster H
Embra H
Ulster A
Treviso H

I think Leinster are best placed in reality, only 3 defeats, Ospreys, Glasgow & the 3 provinces to play but with 3 of these 5 away, they could yet struggle but my money is firmly on them for a top 2 place.

Scarlets

Ulster A
Embra A
Treviso H
Ospreys A
Cardiff H
Glasgow H
Dragons A
Munster A

I have to say I have little regard for Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalet's intestinal fortitude and hope not to regret this come Sunday evening. 3 home , 5 away, early season fixtures during the RWC were kind, none more so than Ulster's shambolic attempt at Parc-y-Empty. I can see them losing all or most of the away games & Glasgow will be a test at home. Currently 4th I expect them to finish outside the top 4 & probably outside the top 6, I suspect Ospreys to pip them to the guaranteed Welsh spot for the SDC.

With me dismissing Embra as contenders, you can check the Arthur Genius website but I'm finished with them.

Munster

Glasgow A
Treviso A
Dragons H
Cardiff A
Zebre H
Leinster A
Connacht A
Embra H
Scarlets H

Currently 6th and suffering a defeat to Opsreys from a strong looking position after an hour. Munster also have a game in hand over most, they'll need it. They have 5 of their next 7 games away and these include Glasgow, Leinster & Connacht. It will all probably come down to a good return from the home games all of which they should win and if they can win at Treviso & Cardiff they could yet make the top 4 and certainly the top 6.

Ospreys

Embra H
Connacht A
Leinster A
Scarlets H
Dragons A
Treviso H
Cardiff A
Ulster H

The late win in Munster keeps Ospreys hopes alive, significantly the game saw Rhys Webb's comeback off the bench, though he took a strange late head clash in which he seemed to blindly run into a Munsterman head first, he is apparently out this week but thereafter OK. He will be key for them in their run in, he is one of the players in the Pro 12 that makes such a difference to his team. For Ospreys, they have all the regions to play and must go to both Leinster & Connacht before finishing against Ulster in Swansea. They have left themselves with a lot to do, currently 11 behind both Ulster & Connacht & 10 behind Leinster with a game more played, I still fancy them to do well though top 2 will probably be beyond them.

Glasgow

Munster H
Dragons A
Cardiff H
Leinster H
Ulster H
Treviso A
Zebre A
Ospreys A
Zebre H
Connacht A

Glasgow languish in 8th position ...........and yet, they have 2 games in hand over most teams. I wouldn't bet against them making the top 4. Too many people did not understand the foolishness of Ulster's finish, squandering possession with nothing to play for and giving Weegies a chance they took to take a bonus point when they should have been crushed. For me, Ulster blew a 2 point advantage against them and with 2 games in hand & at home to Ulster, those 15 points of separation could vanish like snow off a ditch. Their final two away games at Ospreys & Connacht may well define their season but they also have Munster, Leinster & Ulster going to Kilmarnock/Glasgow. Their biggest problem is that coming from so far behind the psychology of more defeats could wreck them & they have 5 of the top 7 to play.

There you go, I don't make predictions, if I picked the Ulster team, I would hazard a guess. I'll leave it to others to make their usual incorrect assessments.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BUMP :roll:

Baggy :lol:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: The Run In ..........too early?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Too early ....... :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Actually, a bit late, I see another thread exists.............. to which I posted :oops:
The Fonz
Novice

Post by The Fonz »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Actually, a bit late, I see another thread exists.............. to which I posted :oops:
Sorted and merged >elvis
Keep Cool 8)
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

I'd be disappointed if we let slip a home semi final from here, I'd also be licking my lips at the prospect of facing anyone in the league at that point.

My heart and head says our best chance of beating who I perceive as the favourites Leinster (once you get into knockout rugby) will be in a home semi final. Much will depend on how they fair during the remaining 6N period I see the potential for them to lose two potentially all three of their fixtures remaining during that period Cardiff (A), Ospreys (H) and Glasgow (A). We'll

Glasgows two fixtures in hand come from their well documented pitch crisis, their move to fulfill fixtures at Rugby Park, Kilmarnock will hurt them. A bit of unfamiliar territory and potential fixture congestion? They stupidly agreed to concede home advantage to Edinburgh and play both their games versus their country rivals at Murrayfield with both ending in defeat, I think this will cost them the opportunity to challenge for a home semi.

Baggy I see Connachts run in completely different to yourself, they've already scalped Munster this season, beat Leinster at home last year, we were very lucky to get out of the Sportsground with a win. Much will depend on how far the progress in the Challenge Cup. They took a bonus point away to the same Dragons team we struggled to put away at home.

Bold predictions but here goes

1. Connacht
2. Ulster
3. Leinster
4. Glasgow

Ulster - Glasgow final
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Once a Knight wrote:Look, we are winning it this year. It really is that simple.
The Fair Play League?
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.