Now for the big ONE Ulster v leinster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Re: Now for the big ONE Ulster v leinster

Post by jackthelad »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
thecrouch wrote:
ColinM wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Ruaidhri Murphy also had recent surgery for a finger injury and he wonâ??t play again this season.
Again? has he ever actually pulled on a white jersey?
I reckon he does Sparky on match nights.
When you say........."does Sparky" .................eh..................... ?????????????????
How do you think he hurt his finger?.... ;)
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I think the big fella surpassed a lot of people's expectations with his oerformances for ulster, particularly in his first season and also this season, where at times it has seemed like he has carried a one man attack to the opposition pack. We almost took those close range tries of his for granted, but the way we have struggled in his absence shows how valuabke he has been.

A true ulsterman and as others have said, he deserves a good send off at Spanners :red: :salut:
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Oops. Meant to put that last post in the Nick Williams thread! :duh:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Ferris has spoken ..............and he is spot on.
Stephen Ferris has urged the IRFU to allow Ulster to sign a short-term replacement for the injured Marcell Coetzee.

The South African back-row was due to arrive in Ireland this summer on a three-year deal but he is facing up to nine months out with a knee injury that he picked up while playing for the Sharks earlier this month.

Ulster are understood to be seeking permission from the IRFU to sign another player on a short-term contract but any such move would have to be approved by the union’s performance director David Nucifora, who may not be open to the idea.

Ferris believes that Ulster are in desperate need of a powerful ball carrying back-row if they are to end their 10-year wait for a trophy.

“I’ve heard through the grapevine that Ulster are in talks with the IRFU at the minute to see if they could bring somebody in for cover,” said Ferris. “I think they have to because there isn’t really anyone coming through in the young guys in the back-row who’s of the same kind of standard as Marcel Coetzee. It’s as simple as that. For me, you have to get your chequebook out and sign somebody for a year.”

Ferris, who was speaking at the launch of Heineken's 'Rugby Club' where rugby meets the world, added: "Coetzee is going to be out for at least six months. He's going to miss the pool stages of the European Cup, which are vital as we all know.

"Would I be happy with Chris Henry, Robbie Diack and Roger Wilson playing in the back-row for Ulster next season going into the first European Cup game? Definitely not.

"I would be a lot happier if Iain Henderson and Coetzee were playing in the back-row with Chris Henry or whatever.

"It's something that has to be sorted out and hopefully the IRFU can sort something out with Ulster and we can sign somebody for six months or a year."

A re-occurring ankle injury forced Ferris into retirement two years ago and Ulster have lacked someone of his power since.

The 30-year old believes that his former side are far too reliant on Henderson and with Nick Williams joining Cardiff Blues next season, Ulster will lose another ball carrier.

"I think one thing that really concerns me is that in our pack, we just don't have many ball carriers at all," Ferris said.

"Roger Wilson had his best for a couple of years at Northampton and Chris Henry isn't really a ball carrying seven. You've just Iain Henderson and that's really it.

"If I was a Leinster player, I would really think that we can take them up front. It's a massive concern that we don't have the carriers that Leinster do.

"I'm a fan now so for me it's concerning to read an Ulster teamsheet with hardly any ball carriers. "

Ulster must win against Leinster on Saturday if they are to have any hope of sealing a home semi-final but Ferris isn't confident of them ending their long trophy drought.

"Ulster have been the biggest under-achievers since 2006 when we won the Celtic League away to the Ospreys," he said.

"Do I think we have it this year? I don't think so. I think if we have our best side out on the bench, we'll be there or thereabouts but I just don't feel that we have enough ball carriers in our pack to give us the front foot ball."
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
austintranslation
Novice

Post by austintranslation »

Stephen Ferris is a cracking pundit. I'm surprised BT haven't sniped him yet.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Not pulling any punches against players he spent most of his career with.
It's the hope that kills you.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

austintranslation wrote:Stephen Ferris is a cracking pundit. I'm surprised BT haven't sniped him yet.
They have - he was a pundit for BT last time we played at Leicester - we gave him some stick for it too :lol: .
austintranslation
Novice

:duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Hopefully he has learnt his lesson!
austintranslation
Novice

Wait, was that the time Stephen Jones criticized him on twitter for saying "I" and "we" too much when talking about Ulster?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

austintranslation wrote:Stephen Ferris is a cracking pundit. I'm surprised BT haven't sniped him yet.
BOD and Healy don't like him as he sees through the BS

Remember BT want short sharp top bants. Not in depth analysis
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

austintranslation wrote:Wait, was that the time Stephen Jones criticized him on twitter for saying "I" and "we" too much when talking about Ulster?
Stephen Jones is a dingleberry that hangs off the putrefying gonads of a billygoat in the midst suffering years of chronic ring-burning diarrhea. True fact that. He is the tw@t who put the tw@t in Twatter.

Oh aye, and he's a chube forebye.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
austintranslation
Novice

BaggyTrousers wrote:
austintranslation wrote:Wait, was that the time Stephen Jones criticized him on twitter for saying "I" and "we" too much when talking about Ulster?
Stephen Jones is a dingleberry that hangs off the putrefying gonads of a billygoat in the midst suffering years of chronic ring-burning diarrhea. True fact that. He is the tw@t who put the tw@t in Twatter.

Oh aye, and he's a chube forebye.
Funny that, I was thinking the same thing...
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Good man 1F. Not afraid to offend some former team mates either. A Diack/Wilson 6/8 is not good enough. Diack too saft, Wilson too old. Come on Bryn!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

STEEEEVAY!

And Jones is a true Gentleman of the wrist...

Ladybois won't even give our "pack" the reach around.... Leinster by min. 7. We'll do well for a LBP.
Exterminate all rational thought
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Defensively the pack is reasonable and has been relatively successful it is when faced with 5 - 10 to go it bogs down into 1 metre forward 1st phase and 3 back second .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist