Pack for next season...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

FrannosPen
Novice

Re: Pack for next season...

Post by FrannosPen »

Would Paddy Butler improve our pack ?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

FrannosPen wrote:Would Paddy Butler improve our pack ?
No
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
FrannosPen wrote:Would Paddy Butler improve our pack ?
No
Yes

By not coming
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Butler definitely would, has had a great time in France by all accounts.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

Snipe Watson wrote: Wiehahn who is as mobile as a oil tanker offers robust fringe defence, driving big men back from whence they came.
More like a squatty short legged double muscled Belgian Blue calf just off the cow and so muscle bound it's one of the last ones to the trough :shock:
He's a useful plug in a very narrow gap nevertheless :lol:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

So with Chad possibly out for 3 months (unconfirmed), Coetzee out til??? The Irish contingent given a week or two I'd imagine. We are looking at who staring in the backrow?

Reidy played a few mins on tour so maybe he will be back. Starting backrow of Diack, Roger and Reidy. Dow likely on the bench. This season will be a big opportunity for him.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

lw7 wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: Wiehahn who is as mobile as a oil tanker offers robust fringe defence, driving big men back from whence they came.
More like a squatty short legged double muscled Belgian Blue calf just off the cow and so muscle bound it's one of the last ones to the trough :shock:
He's a useful plug in a very narrow gap nevertheless :lol:
Aye but the wee short legged Belgian Blues then shove their way into the trough and still get fed
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Rooster wrote:Aye but the wee short legged Belgian Blues then shove their way into the trough and still get fed
Till the stoopid bollockses tip er over and all the meal ends up in the tom kite.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Had a wee read through this to see where we were 12 months ago for a bit of perspective.

Bonkers!

The general consensus was that we wouldn't get any worse....
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

So I'm guessing you didn't fancy 'Genius' on Discovery?
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We had a lot of questions about the pack before the start of the season and we still have a lot questions for next. Will Botha and Marcell maintain fitness throughout the season? Can the Hond regain his YouTube form? Will any nippers get a rattle?

I think we are in better position than last season at least. We have a find in the emergence of Treadwell and also Kane. Hoping that O'Hagan can push through and McCall should be back from injury. The front row doesn't look too bad. The second row looks light. The backrow has bags of potential.

Marcell/Botha/Reidy could be a really good combination. All three can carry and Marcell's​ groundwork and Reidy's link play, they could be a handful. I'm not sure that Botha's knees will allow him to jump in the lineout though, so that could be an issue.

Chad has plenty to offer and shirly one or two of Rea, Timoney, Dow or Jones can break through.

The biggest factor has to be the arrival of Jonno Gibbes. He is a proven coach of forwards so brilliance is on its way.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Paddy Mac is out of contract soon. We should be making moves. His form has been good for Glaws recently. Ship on some of the LH deadwood.
Exterminate all rational thought
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Based on the past few seasons we'll be lucky to see those guys play together. 2 backrowers with injury doubts and another (Henry) who seems to be getting more injury prone, a developing lock who could turn into something if he had a Johann alongside him (a la Tuohy) and a couple of young front rowers who have spent the last few months on the treatment table. Throw in an admirable but now ageing hooker as well....

Hard to believe that back in the Heiny final heyday of 2012 we were able to field our first choice starting pack against Leicester and Clermont in successive weeks and then also against Munster in the big QF at Thomond and the final.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

So with all "fit," we're maybe looking at?:

VDM RH WH

IH KT

AB MC SR

Potentially one Ulster born starter in the first choice pack. Based on nothing but gut feel, I think RB has been targeting the Lions, and after that tour we may see a step back.

Bench of KMcC, RB, RK, AOC, CH. Chads 32 going on 33 now too and we've likely seen the best of him and Rory. So much for future planning.

Questions: can Andrew and Herring form a competitive hooking succession capable of performing to top Pro12, Hec level?

Is the SID good enough if that's what we've got ie no other signings? I don't see any forward bolters from the academy,unless Ulster via Jonno turns some of these guys into warriors or gives them their chance a la Leinster. I'm talking McBurney, McCusker, and yon young loose head who's name escapes me atm. McBurneys the same year class as Porter at Leinster, but doesn't seem to be getting the same support for a guy rated so highly.

My main concern is that Jonno's hamstrung with what he's got- most of which is either ageing, injury prone or not good enough. A clear out isn't on the cards due to contracts so the main hope is that some of the Ulster born squad players step up with a coach who sets brutally high standards, otherwise they'll be playing AIL all season.

I really want Kane, McCall and Andrew to step up and push on. AW I think has found his level sadly, and its short of what is required for even Pro 12 level.
Exterminate all rational thought
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:So with all "fit," we're maybe looking at?:

VDM RH WH

IH KT

AB MC SR

Potentially one Ulster born starter in the first choice pack. Based on nothing but gut feel, I think RB has been targeting the Lions, and after that tour we may see a step back.

Bench of KMcC, RB, RK, AOC, CH. Chads 32 going on 33 now too and we've likely seen the best of him and Rory. So much for future planning.

Questions: can Andrew and Herring form a competitive hooking succession capable of performing to top Pro12, Hec level?

Is the SID good enough if that's what we've got ie no other signings? I don't see any forward bolters from the academy,unless Ulster via Jonno turns some of these guys into warriors or gives them their chance a la Leinster. I'm talking McBurney, McCusker, and yon young loose head who's name escapes me atm. McBurneys the same year class as Porter at Leinster, but doesn't seem to be getting the same support for a guy rated so highly.

My main concern is that Jonno's hamstrung with what he's got- most of which is either ageing, injury prone or not good enough. A clear out isn't on the cards due to contracts so the main hope is that some of the Ulster born squad players step up with a coach who sets brutally high standards, otherwise they'll be playing AIL all season.

I really want Kane, McCall and Andrew to step up and push on. AW I think has found his level sadly, and its short of what is required for even Pro 12 level.

Good summary CIMAN. We really need Kane and McCall to come through next season which means better luck with injuries for a start. We badly need the depth and these guys to become better than what we currently have, which looks pretty ordinary.