Anthony Foley

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Anthony Foley

Post by Rooster »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Taz wrote:Lads, nice to read through this thread today.

Also a lovely gesture from your CEO Shane Logan regarding some form of tribute in your away changing room.
Yeah, apparently there is a permanent memorial to Nevin Spence in the away changing room at Thomond Park. Nice touch.

Apparently Munster's game against Weegies is unlikely to be played this weekend so their next game will probably be at Spanners.
I genuinely didn't know there was a tribute to Nevin Spence at Thomond. Fair play to Munster.
Regardless, the memorial to Axel at Ravenhill is appropriate and totally correct.

If we are the first side to play Munster after his passing, it will be entirely apposite.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Article
Initiate

Post by Article »

big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Just a suggestion but if there was a desire to break into a mark of respect maybe a generous hand clap just in case any rendition of the Fields doesn't get the full works and falls somewhat flat..
Well shame on us if it does.
Shouldn't. I think nearly everybody knows the first verse and chorus which should be enough to show our respects.
But a lonely prison wall,
I heard a young girl calling
Michael they have taken you away,
For you stole trevelyn's corn
So the young might see the morn,
Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay
Low lie, The Fields Of Athenry
Where once we watched the small free birds fly
Our love was on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing,
Its so lonely round the Fields of Athenry
By a lonely prison wall
I heard a young man calling
'Nothing matters Mary, when you're free'
Against the famine and the crown,
I rebelled, they brought me down
Now its…
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Munster's game on Saturday is going ahead.

I have a sneaky feeling that Glasgow are going to be in for quite a match.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
promenader
Novice

Post by promenader »

Article wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Just a suggestion but if there was a desire to break into a mark of respect maybe a generous hand clap just in case any rendition of the Fields doesn't get the full works and falls somewhat flat..
Shouldn't. I think nearly everybody knows the first verse and chorus which should be enough to show our respects.
Our love was on the wing
By a lonely prison wall
Now its…
No need for the verses, IMHO, which rarely get an outing even at Thomond or the Aviva. A couple of blasts of the chorus would do the job nicely.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

promenader wrote:
Article wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Our love was on the wing
By a lonely prison wall
Now its…
No need for the verses, IMHO, which rarely get an outing even at Thomond or the Aviva. A couple of blasts of the chorus would do the job nicely.

That would indeed do nicely, after all they managed the chorus of Stan'Up rightly when poor Nev passed on.

Though when I think on it we could always do their Stan'Up

Stand up and fight
Until you hear the bell
Stand toe to toe
Trade blow for blow
Keep punching til you make your punches tell
Show that crowd what you know
Until you hear that bell
That final bell
Stand up and fight like hell.

Sounds more like Axel's style, graft away and never ever give up. >TDRT

I assume there will be a minute's silence at the games this week. Against Munster maybe the powers that be might call for a minutes applause.
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Article wrote:
Class gesture to reciprocate the plaque for Axel in away dressing room...we often get things wrong but that's just dead on.
Not sure about it being announced on TV, etc. They should have just had it there next Friday.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

They normally just sing the chorus

After the Hillsborough disaster, I believe it was the Juventus fans who sang You'll Never Walk Alone at their next league match and that was only a few years after Keysel. Spine tingling stuff.

Anyway, If there is a minute's silence, immediately after that. Or if there isn't, as the clock turns 8:00 minutes?

Are there other suggestions?

You rich gits in seats would need to stand up too.
Last edited by Snipe Watson on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Shame indeed.. so I will expect all 18,000 to stand up and deliver a spontaneous and rousing rendition of the Fields when it gets kick started.. One loud enough to pay the appropriate level of respect for Axel. That is why I favour everyone simply standing up and clapping for a solid minute as the Republic fans did in France for the Norn Iron fan that died and which I think worked extremely well as a mark of respect.. they will no doubt have a one minute silence before the game..
Last edited by Cockatrice on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Snipe Watson wrote:
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

BaggyTrousers wrote: That would indeed do nicely, after all they managed the chorus of Stan'Up rightly when poor Nev passed on.

Stand up and fight
Until you hear the bell
Stand toe to toe
Trade blow for blow
Until you hear that bell
That final bell

I assume there will be a minute's silence at the games this week. Against Munster maybe the powers that be might call for a minutes applause.
"Until you hear that bell
That final bell
Stand up and fight like hell."

Powerful words at a time like this.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Article
Initiate

Post by Article »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

Stand up and fight
Until you hear the bell
Stand toe to toe
Trade blow for blow
Until you hear that bell
That final bell

If we are doing a stand up I revert to Stand up for the Munster Man" in our own way...even the slowest of our fans and visitors will know the words and the tune ...simples. :red:
promenader
Novice

Post by promenader »

Article wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Stand up and fight
Until you hear the bell
Stand toe to toe
Trade blow for blow
Until you hear that bell
That final bell

If we are doing a stand up I revert to Stand up for the Munster Man" in our own way...even the slowest of our fans and visitors will know the words and the tune ...simples. :red:
That would work for me. :thumleft:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

No, singing their song is a more sincere gesture and it will be picked up by TV whereas the subtleties of Munster/Ulster may not.

It's a bit like that ironic singing of 'swing low', coming for to carry you home doesn't really convey on TV.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

See hence one reason for raising it.. we have some saying we will spontaneously to a man belt out the Fields, now we hear the suggestion to do it to SUFTMen.. does it happen on 8 mins as suggested or another time.. there are 14 people use this board using 340 different names so before someone thinks that every single Ulster fan will know what to do and when to do it .. think again.

A simple one minute applause from 18,000 fans standing on their feet can also go a long way… but whenever whatever version of whatever is spontaneously started by whoever then I will join in and hope that everyone else does… Axel deserves so good luck
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Article
Initiate

Post by Article »

Cockatrice wrote:See hence one reason for raising it.. we have some saying we will spontaneously to a man belt out the Fields, now we hear the suggestion to do it to SUFTMen.. does it happen on 8 mins as suggested or another time.. there are 14 people use this board using 340 different names so before someone thinks that every single Ulster fan will know what to do and when to do it .. think again.

A simple one minute applause from 18,000 fans standing on their feet can also go a long way… but whenever whatever version of whatever is spontaneously started by whoever then I will join in and hope that everyone else does… Axel deserves so good luck
+1