Munster game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Re: Munster game

Post by scrum5 »

Jackie, we have become Saracens without the success.....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Down to 5th.....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

That bonus point we left behind us in Treviso! :duh:
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Jackie Brown wrote:Guys, at least we're banging out the tunes. The music at half time is beyond antisocial for both the punters and the residents. Will Grigg's on fire is bang on trend, the Ulster Branch PR department know us so well. It's what the people want.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

And they won't let a minutes silence get in the way either...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
austintranslation
Novice

Post by austintranslation »

It would take a year outside the Champions Cup before our mediocre situation is ever addressed. The Pro12 is that crap though finishing outside the top 6 probably won't happen.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Bowe is under contract next season. He's been out a yr....he needs a few more games, a derby isn't ideal at this stage.
Once the injuries ease up (should improve) we have now added depth to the squad with Kane Warwick Aoc 2mp little showing they are decent enough performers at the v least.
The main issues will be 2 players light in the back row selection available esp a big carrying 8. Poor coaching and poor game plan. Dublin need to bite the bullit, and have the balls to recruit outside Ulster. A top / down shake up is required. Poor performance should be challenged and not accepted by everyone inside UR.
Do you think McCloskey would've been told by Townsend or Lam to stop offloading?.....the two best attacking sides in the PRO 12.....no neither do I. No coincidence he's not as effective....he'll become a James Downey if we're not careful.

I'd also consider "mad Peter stringer" potentially around the academy lads when he's finished playing if he was enthusiastic and fancied the coaching/mentor route .....total professional on and off the pitch, tee total, diet, training, prepared to trAvel wherever to play for whoever...when others in Ire wrote him off.....it's those qualities of self worth and sacrifice you'd want around the young lads....he'd shame most of them and he's 39 in dec. 300 top flight league games, 98 caps. 2 HC 3TC 1GS. Singleminded total competitor.
we need to increase the intelligence, and the mental toughness in the setup of UR.

I can't find the write a post button so I'll allude to it here.....are people happy with k campbell in the academy....and if they are....who is blocking the channel between there and the 1st team for the players to progress?
Blackskulllad
Novice

Post by Blackskulllad »

We were supposed to get a hiding up front, yet the forwards turned out not to be the problem. No one knew what Charlie was going to do including himself. Pienaar pretending to be Peter in family guy guy lifting the soap in the shower scene summed up the backs. I know that makes me sacrilegious but even when the Pope makes him a saint I won't recognise it.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Blackskulllad wrote:We were supposed to get a hiding up front, yet the forwards turned out not to be the problem. No one knew what Charlie was going to do including himself. Pienaar pretending to be Peter in family guy guy lifting the soap in the shower scene summed up the backs. I know that makes me sacrilegious but even when the Pope makes him a saint I won't recognise it.
We didn't get a hiding but it was a defeat by a thousand cuts. Unable to keep possession meant we were making far more tackles than them. We lost the gain line constantly and were punch drunk by 60 mins up front. No firepower on bench meant Herbie and big Dans performances were all the more impressive.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:
Blackskulllad wrote:We were supposed to get a hiding up front, yet the forwards turned out not to be the problem. No one knew what Charlie was going to do including himself. Pienaar pretending to be Peter in family guy guy lifting the soap in the shower scene summed up the backs. I know that makes me sacrilegious but even when the Pope makes him a saint I won't recognise it.
We didn't get a hiding but it was a defeat by a thousand cuts. Unable to keep possession meant we were making far more tackles than them. We lost the gain line constantly and were punch drunk by 60 mins up front. No firepower on bench meant Herbie and big Dans performances were all the more impressive.
Who did Dan send flying that time?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Forwards get you over the gain line and give the backs space to play

Our forwards on attack lose the gainline so our backs have no space to play

For the Brexit voters amongst you, try not to consider the effect (ineffectual backline play) to be the cause (lack of gainline success)
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Dave wrote:
jean valjean wrote:
Who did Dan send flying that time?
Keatley, which makes it slightly less impressive
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Sorry you are wrong.
Our forwards are and were the problem. Which of our forwards posed an attacking threat? To save time, I'll answer my own question. None of them posed an attacking threat and that is the problem in its entirety.
Yes our forwards can defend Reidy was second highest tackler in the league going into that game and Robbie Diack had, was it 14 or 16 tackles in the first half? Defence is not the issue. Attacking is.
Of course the reason our players are making so many tackles is that we can't hold on to the ball and are always defending.
ps did you notice the Munster maul marching down the field at will? Our maul was as static as all the forwards standing out in our backline.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Boys and girls, I know Snipe always likes the last word >EW but I think, that amidst all the heartbreak and pain of a massively disappointing defeat, mostly in it's nature, we should leave the last words on the game in the hands of those better able to give you wise words. I give you the Lighthouse Family:

When you're close to tears remember
Someday it'll all be over
One day we're gonna get so high
Though it's darker than December
What's ahead is a different colour

Mind you, I suspect the only way we're going to get so high is with some of them left handed cigarettes.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Boys and girls, I know Snipe always likes the last word >EW but I think, that amidst all the heartbreak and pain of a massively disappointing defeat, mostly in it's nature, we should leave the last words on the game in the hands of those better able to give you wise words. I give you the Lighthouse Family:

When you're close to tears remember
Someday it'll all be over
Though it's darker than December
What's ahead is a different colour

Mind you, I suspect the only way we're going to get so high is with some of them left handed cigarettes.
It's funny that he just repeated what I said in a less sensical manner
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Sorry you are wrong.
Our forwards are and were the problem. Which of our forwards posed an attacking threat? To save time, I'll answer my own question. None of them posed an attacking threat and that is the problem in its entirety.
Yes our forwards can defend Reidy was second highest tackler in the league going into that game and Robbie Diack had, was it 14 or 16 tackles in the first half? Defence is not the issue. Attacking is.
Of course the reason our players are making so many tackles is that we can't hold on to the ball and are always defending.
ps did you notice the Munster maul marching down the field at will? Our maul was as static as all the forwards standing out in our backline.
In general, I see where you're coming from but I don't think there's much the forwards can do about botched clearing kicks straight down the throats of Munster's back three, or about Tommy Bowe not being able to hold onto the ball or Gilroy trying to dance over the line from midfield on the edge of the 22 literally every time he gets his hands on the ball there, or Gilroy not staying wide when Piutau was shaping for an offload or Luke Marshall trying an improbably offload because Piutau just managed one... The main problem Ulster had on Friday night was a fundamental inability to relieve pressure and a remarkable ability to invite further pressure by trying to do far too much. Not all of this is on the forwards - the backs were appalling on Friday night, and I mean that they were appalling even for being behind a weak pack.

With the ball, Ulster's forwards have a big problem. That is beyond doubt. I can only imagine the pressure this invites onto Ulster's backs. At the same time, it does not excuse the utter brainlessness that the backs displayed, collectively and individually, throughout the game. The state of the forwards is an on-going problem and Ulster won't do a lot this season if that's the best the pack can front up. That shouldn't distract from an entire range of singularly poor individual and collective performances in the backs, though. I can see why people want to blame the backs. Probably, they should blame the game plan - maybe it'll click one day and Ulster will be awesome but until Bowe can catch a ball, or Gilroy stops getting white line fever when he's 45 metres out, it's hard to see that it'll be a successful one.