Pro 12 to become Pro 14 maybe Pro 15

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Pro 12 to become Pro 14 maybe Pro 15

Post by Tender »

He'd love a semi....so would Mrs Trousers.

I'll get my coat
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Tighter End wrote:Fake news. How could this be done for next season?
I'll give you a hint - this hasn't been an overnight decision.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Will we get any more notice as to when the matches are actually going to take place?!

I've already got tantalising trips to the likes of Hull Ionians and Darlington Mowden Park pencilled in for next February and March.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

justinr73 wrote:Will we get any more notice as to when the matches are actually going to take place?!

I've already got tantalising trips to the likes of Hull Ionians and Darlington Mowden Park pencilled in for next February and March.
Wise up Justin, they are just slightly more publicised than an Ulster A match, you will be told on a strictly need to know basis
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

justinr73 wrote:Will we get any more notice as to when the matches are actually going to take place?!

Spent many a month in Darlo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Will the additional matches be covered in my season ticket? >crazy1
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

No9 you beat me to it. Could it be Logie's Lunney's are gonna give us an extra two or three games gratis?
The saffers seem up for it, but as they mentioned the season would be difficult to arrange, as around Jeebus's Birthday the heat would kill most Northerners and the pitches are like reinforced concrete.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
pg106
Initiate

Post by pg106 »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Will the additional matches be covered in my season ticket? >crazy1
Is there not a chance that it could be played in conferences, so there will likely be a similar number of games in the season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

pg106 wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:Will the additional matches be covered in my season ticket? >crazy1
Is there not a chance that it could be played in conferences, so there will likely be a similar number of games in the season?

That would be awful
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Eggs wrote:
pg106 wrote:

That would be awful
You would be really fecked off if you were in a group with Dragons, Glasgow, Scarlets and Leinster and not a decent away trip for a year Also the 2 SA sides mentioned are not the easiest for flights from here.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pg106 wrote:

Is there not a chance that it could be played in conferences
, so there will likely be a similar number of games in the season?

I dearly hope not, I hate conferences.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/r ... 740f85cde2
Embattled Australian Super Rugby clubs may yet win a ­reprieve and compete in next year’s streamlined competition and beyond.

Reports from South Africa suggest that not only will the Southern Kings and the Cheetahs leave Super Rugby to join Britain’s Pro12 competition but that a third team from the republic wants to join them, giving Australia a lifeline.

Writing for Alloutrugby.com, journalist Craig Ray reported that not only were the Kings and Cheetahs prepared to leave Super Rugby in response to SANZAAR’s plan to cut the 18-team competition down to 15, but they are in fact happy about the arrangement.

Not only will they be admitted to the Pro12 competition — shortly to be Pro14 or even Pro15 — but they have negotiated an equal split of the broadcast rights. Payment will be made in pounds sterling, which obviously are far less volatile than the rand. Moreover, all of their travel would be within the same time zone.

So good do the arrangements sound that Ray claimed a third South African side — the Lions, Bulls, Stormers and Sharks are the only ones left — is also toying with the idea of abandoning SANZAAR and heading directly north.

If this scenario is true, it could be the forerunner of the break-up of SANZAAR, at least as far as provincial rugby is concerned, which in turn would lead by accident to Australia’s preferred rugby option, a trans-Tasman or possibly trans-Pacific series.

In the short term, however, there also could be massive ramifications for the Australian Rugby Union, which is caught in a bind as it tries to cull either the Western Force or the Melbourne Rebels from the competition. Both are vigorously resisting eviction and even if the ARU wins the decision against the Force when their battle goes to arbitration in the WA courts, the matter is certain to drag on at least until August.

But if the six South African teams are whittled back to three, then SANZAAR would have its preferred 15-team model without shedding any blood. The only difference is that the Sunwolves of Japan, who presently are a member of one of the two African conferences, would have to stay put there instead of transferring across to the Australian conference. The remaining fifth team in the ­African conference would be the Jaguares of Argentina.

“The fissures in SANZAAR are quickly developing into a cavernous void,” Ray wrote. “South African franchises are coming round to the idea that they might be better served in a different competition, happy to leave New Zealand and Australia to entertain each other.”

That is precisely what Australia would prefer, though the Kiwis have opposed the idea. But there is no appetite in Australia to stage matches against the South African teams, which traditionally draw poorly. While a trans-Tasman competition would generate a much smaller broadcast rights deal, there would be compensations. The travel budget, for one, would be halved.

The ARU disputed elements of Ray’s story, notably his claim that SANZAAR held an emergency meeting last week (via conference call) to try to unscramble the egg that is the culling of three teams, mainly to humour Australia. The ARU insisted there was a scheduled phone hook-up but in no way was it an emergency meeting.

Yet it would be safe to say there was considerable interest in Ray’s assertion that South Africa finally is turning its attention to Europe. In a sense, it would get the ARU off the hook with SANZAAR if three South African teams headed into the Pro12. While it would not solve the problem of Australia lacking the financial capacity to sustain five teams, there is no question a trans-Tasman competition would be much cheaper to run than Super Rugby.

In that event, five teams becomes doable, especially if the WA and Victorian governments press ahead with the aid they promised the Super Rugby franchises in their states. As the Own the Force campaign to sell shares in the Perth club to its fans showed, the one benefit of this whole exercise in cutting Australia’s Super Rugby presence from five teams to four is that it has energised parts of the market that had never before been tapped.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

PRO 14 this season coming .
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Looks weak
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:Looks weak
Did you mean Wheeker?

Did you all get a survey today from Guinness Pro12 and those questions about what would entice you to travel outside your own country, amongst the options "discounted air fares with match tickets"? Plot thickens.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.