Benetton Rugby Vs Ulster 09/09/17 @ 17.05 BBC2NI

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Benetton Rugby Vs Ulster 09/09/17 @ 17.05 BBC2NI

Post by Dave »

BR wrote:
jean valjean wrote:How much improvement can a coach make to a players capabilities? Even if Jonno can add 20% to each member of the pack (pushing it), we are still going to have periods of the season when we will have to rely on 3-4 daves. Take Rory, Hendo and marcell out our pack is below average pro14 standard.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Players are capable of playing better rugby. They just need to be given the opportunity.
Last season, I'm led to believe that there were significant issues within the coaching setup. Les appears to have ended up doing almost everything. With disjointed coaching the pack, which was very much underpowered in personnel, suffered and it was our major weakness.

Far too many times we had Roger and Diack at 6/8. Marcell and Deysel, is a heck of an improvement. I don't have much hope in seeing Marcell much mind you. Also the Hond was signed as a ball carrier, but I'll reserve judgement until I see him play.

Anyway, since we hired Jono Gibbes, one of the most highly rated forwards coaches in European club rugby, it isn't unreasonable to think that the pack might improve. It can't get much worse. If we have lots of daves starting even Jono can't make gold from shyte.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

All our players are professional rugby players. They know how to do the basics (they may need to practice them, but they know how). What they need to do as a team is to implement those basic skills (along with the more advanced ones in our arsenal) in a coordinated way. They need to be better at identifying which of their skills they should use when in conjunction with their teammates. All the forwards know HOW to go round a corner. What they need to be better at is knowing WHEN to go round a corner and that their team will be going around with them.
The tactics are wrong. They are predictable and static. We have enough good players amongst our stars and journeymen to play dynamic rugby if that is what their orders are. Some of the younger guys who have been brought up on Ulster's static game may need to get used to the idea, but there is no reason to suggest that they do not possess the basic skills required.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

You can't argue that there isn't much difference between the cheetahs and Treviso as a standard but you have to ask yourself why the huge disparity in performance?
It's a bit of a no brainer for me it's all about the go forward.

Willie John used to say the game is played in inches and that's not changed.
One inch forward can mean the difference between all important front foot or back foot ball.

Against the cheetahs we had two good ball carriers in the pack against Treviso we ended up with none.
Go figure.

Good coaching may work out different ways of getting over the gain line for front foot ball but they will never turn Robbie Diack into Wayne Shelford.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

bazzaj wrote:Against the cheetahs we had two good ball carriers in the pack against Treviso we ended up with none.
Go figure.
One is no use either. They just get doubled up on and go nowhere.

A pack with a back 5 of

Treadwell
Henderson
Deysel
Reidy
Coetzee

would be pretty good. 3 big carrying threats and two others who would be able to do a lot of damage if the opponent concentrated too much on the former 3.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

game plans are like war plans once the first shot is fired the plan is forgotten .

Take the observation that flat backline was going nowhere a swop to running from deep may have ended up in deeper sh1te because the players weren't use to playing running from deep at pace.

Similar McCloskey is a crash ball 12 not a deep centre .

there is also the fact when playing players see what is going wrong or how to change the game it's like driving a car the passengers can look at the countryside the driver is looking at the road a head except on the rugby pitch everybody's the driver only aware of the player in front or beside you and your role at each set piece - line out -set scrum - breakdown

only time on the training pitch can undo the repetitious errors such as the failure to take the ball at pace and run straight - to weight kicks properly to be effective humping weights is a skill less exercise which achieves little if it isn't to used on the pitch

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

With you there BR, it is not in doubt that coaching has been a shadow of what it should be over recent years. Sadly I think one of the main culprits is still in place but not for much longer if the war drums are correct, certainly not if there is one more insipid display like Saturday.

I agree none lack the basics, though some struggle with implementation. One, in particular, would struggle to get "round the corner" should he be taken by the hand to Winslow Arizona, which I'm assured is such a fine sight to see. He would stand there all day rather than "go round". Imagine all the tourist photographs he'd spoil with his manly chin intervening with family after family. :duh:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Other half saw the Treviso lot at Stansted last night. Think they recognised her from the touchline on Saturday. They reckon we're going to win something this season. Must have been on the lash on the flight.