Ulster v Scarlets 15/9/2017

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Scarlets 15/9/2017

Post by Rooster »

I'm in shock with the result, but it is pleasant shock :D
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote: The Scaaaalets final try, to me from the Memorial Stand it looked to have been a final pass outside the 22 caught inside it? Has anyone seen it on the bax?
It's on the BBC highlights but you can't tell from the camera angle. Gusher thought it was forward in live commentary.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: The Scaaaalets final try, to me from the Memorial Stand it looked to have been a final pass outside the 22 caught inside it? Has anyone seen it on the bax?
It's on the BBC highlights but you can't tell from the camera angle. Gusher thought it was forward in live commentary.
I thought it was forward and I had a better side view than Gusher.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Dave wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:Ludi never ever gives less than 100% ... On and off rhw field hes a true Ulsterman.
I watched the game from the family stand end. He gave an absolute master class at 15. Outplayed waankpenny. He dives like a goalie at players legs and takes them down properly.
Why do you call him waankpenny? Leigh Halfpenny is a great little rugby player, maybe just a tad past his peak, but as brave as they come and by all accounts a modest and good bloke who also gives 100% every time he plays. He deserves some respect. You can praise Ludik all you want (and I think he deserves it - Ulster's most consistent back) without knocking Halfpenny, who has had a career to be proud of and probably is far from finished.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
I thought it was forward and I had a better side view than Gusher.
Aye and you were right too, it was forward, though I can see why it was not called, I was up off my cheeks shouting but nobody else around me seemed bothered, didn't look right and wasn't.

I await next week, when doubtless FOLK will tell us what a marvellous team the Dragons are, having just eclipsed the deserving champions of 2 seasons ago, making them clear favourites.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Can anyone explain to me wtf we are doing defensively.
Anyone worth their salt will know you work in 3s that means you look after the player either side.
Particularly important after first phase.
You also switch across to avoid the big men getting exposed out wide.
These are basic schoolboy fundamentals.

So explain how we rush the Scarlets during phase play leaving a front rower exposed wide out and we get skinned.

Then we sit and drift next time.
I just dont know what we are doing and everytime a side runs at us I fear the worst.
It was only through scrambling or errors that we have got away with it but when the Scarlets clicked they just picked us off with ease.

Its OK to scramble defend but to rely on it is a path to oblivion.
It seems like we are trying to mix our defensive system but end up doing nothing as noone knows what is going on.
The one important aspect of defence in my view is that everyone is on the same page and defend as a unit.
This is most certainly not the case as we have different players playing different systems at the same time.

My only crumb of comfort is that we are winning and this is some form of work in progress.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Spiffsson wrote:
Dave wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:Ludi never ever gives less than 100% ... On and off rhw field hes a true Ulsterman.
I watched the game from the family stand end. He gave an absolute master class at 15. Outplayed waankpenny. He dives like a goalie at players legs and takes them down properly.
Why do you call him waankpenny? Leigh Halfpenny is a great little rugby player, maybe just a tad past his peak, but as brave as they come and by all accounts a modest and good bloke who also gives 100% every time he plays. He deserves some respect. You can praise Ludik all you want (and I think he deserves it - Ulster's most consistent back) without knocking Halfpenny, who has had a career to be proud of and probably is far from finished.
Also a greedy little waakstain who nearly ended up with no club because of his huge wage demands.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Scarlet fans don't really want 1/2p starting as far as I can see going by their forum.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

damianmcr wrote:Scarlet fans don't really want 1/2p starting as far as I can see going by their forum.
They are saying that we were too powerful upfront and McCloskey was too good also!

Also refs fault.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Fantastic win for Ulster over the champions who were imperious in their march to the title in May, dismissing Leinster and Munster on the way. Congratulations.

Now when do we start talking about a contract extension for Les Kiss?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Les is so brill D4 will give him a promotion to Leinster

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

ColinM wrote:Les is so brill D4 will give him a promotion to Leinster

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
NO.. they have earmarked Gibbes... .
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Albeit that our last try came off just such a position I still think the safest place to defend against us is 5-10 yards out from your own line ideally though in the middle of the park...

Had it been Paul and not Luke arriving at the ruck I suspect the ball may not have found its way out towards the wing..

3 wins from 3 so top of the world and no complaints from me..

however three things 1. why did Trimble think taking a quick line out was even on the radar we are not the AB's and 2. at one stage when we got a penalty from around their 25 which we slotted over I swore that smallp was about to tap and go and had to be reigned in.. it is those brainfart moments that have made him what he is having learnt nothing from Ruan despite the day to day training up close.. and finally 3. Robbie is great at three things one running up to people, two being lifted in the line-out and three having soft hands... why another 2 year contract well likely because we are devoid of any SID.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Why was a Scaaalet not yellow carded when we were running a maul over the line & it was pulled down?

The Scaaaalets final try, to me from the Memorial Stand it looked to have been a final pass outside the 22 caught inside it? Has anyone seen it on the bax?
I thaiught the pulled down maul should have been a penalty try - we had already rumbled 10m and had momentum with only 5 to go.But for the foul play, a try was almost certainly on the cards.

On their second try, I called it as forward at the time, as did one of the Ulster players (Henry?) who asked the ref to have another look at it but was waved away.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cockatrice wrote:Albeit that our last try came off just such a position I still think the safest place to defend against us is 5-10 yards out from your own line ideally though in the middle of the park...

Had it been Paul and not Luke arriving at the ruck I suspect the ball may not have found its way out towards the wing..

3 wins from 3 so top of the world and no complaints from me..

however three things 1. why did Trimble think taking a quick line out was even on the radar we are not the AB's and 2. at one stage when we got a penalty from around their 25 which we slotted over I swore that smallp was about to tap and go and had to be reigned in.. it is those brainfart moments that have made him what he is having learnt nothing from Ruan despite the day to day training up close.. and finally 3. Robbie is great at three things one running up to people, two being lifted in the line-out and three having soft hands... why another 2 year contract well likely because we are devoid of any SID.
Reads like three complaints to me.

BTW, I agree with 2 of them. Second one, I'm not so sure, but he's an easy target.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right