FOLK

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: FOLK

Post by BaggyTrousers »

breakdown wrote: Of course it's the players fault, as a coach myself people coming out with that line really doesnt sit well. Tactics can be wrong, motivation may be poor etc etc which is fine but to blame a coach on not "performing consistently" really is a non argument to me

For example it's take the analogy you are a manager in a firm. those under you will fundamentally be told how to carry out their core job, which doesn't change much on a weekly basis. It isn't then up to me, as the manager, to take the brunt of the failings of the staff around me for not carrying out the instructions I have given them when i can't impact how they work 9-5, given I have my own role to do on a daily basis

The same can be applied here. Our tactics don't change week on week much, yes i'm sure the players are given slight, individual tactical changes etc from the waterboys but the fundamentals of the game plan, however poorly executed, haven't changed much. It's not like we've switched from 10 man rugby, to silky back moves, and back again on a weekly basis. It's up to the players to put the plan in place on the pitch, no one else, not Gibbes, Kiss, Dundon, Peel, anyone
That is garbage, I'm sure you'd like me to explain why:

1) Continuous selection of players out of position
2) Chopping and changing consistently does not create partnerships no matter in what part of the side you look.
3) Well-founded stories of bizarre treatment of players, two or three of whom have played 200 plus Ulster games and throwing Cairns off/under the bus.
4) Talk of targetting and not targetting games, what sort of coach does that?
5) Incoherent mumbo-jumbo, it was actually a relief to hear him speak in plain English yesterday & I have to say I actually felt empathy for him for he was emotional, as if he knew the writing was on the wall had they lost.

LOOK, players don't get a free ride but the above are serious signs of, at the kindest, a man flailing around with no real idea of how consistency can be achieved and seemingly unaware that his own inconsistencies contribute to the shambles.

That said if you look at results I think it's pretty clear that the players want to do well and are not simply throwing the DOR under the bus, they have pulled a few games out of the fire, there is no lack of desire.

Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion BD.

Now I detect seriously odd talk abroad, suggestions of a home QF being on the cards. Just to inject a dose of realism, this year we have won away 3 times, Treviso where we almost lost a 21-0 lead, Kings in a shambolic match and in the snow at Hairyquims.

Yes dears it would be great but FFFS does anyone in their right mind think a TBP away is remotely possible ................ albeit Wassups collapse yesterday was legendary? :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

I think it's possible Baggy but I might not necessarily be in my right mind.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Qualify = Kiss stays and possibly gets an extension..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It's the Jonno effect. He is taking control little by little.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Cockatrice wrote:Qualify = Kiss stays and possibly gets an extension..
Yea definitely. This game next week will have a huge bearing on Kiss' future. Win it and it's hard to see him going anywhere. A bonus point win and there is zero chance of him going anywhere.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Here's a curve ball ... what if he or those closest to him want to go??????
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Cornerfleg wrote:Here's a curve ball ... what if he or those closest to him want to go??????
Simples. If we do OK on paper - nice highlights reel and qualify - then he can claim he's the next Brian McLaughlin - hadnt the squad to fight on two fronts etc. He might then find it easier to find alternative employment.

If we're going from bad to worse and capitulating inwards then he'll want to stay out of no other option.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I'll tell you this shipmates, I was pleased to see him pack in the mumbo-jumbo and give a few sensible well-constructed sentences about the win. He looked emotional and I'm a sucker for that, my degree being in empathy.

I also take his point that the people generating the "noise" do not know what they are doing and trying to change/achieve ................ I just hope he does.

None of this is to say that I think differently about this being just an awful season but here are a couple of thoughts on why I might just chill out a little:

We are cutting our wrists about the state of Ulster Rugby, however, nobody is thinking things are similar in Munster but LOOK when we beat them we actually had more points in the league than them (though we've since been "Leinstered" heavily) and we have a home QF in our control whereas they don't. So how bad is it? Plenty bad in my opinion but then I'm just noise.

The players may or may not love FOLK but they most certainly are fighting for him & themselves. Coming back twice late in the game against Scarlets, against Treviso & even against Dragons albeit we were shocking in throwing away a simple win and then, of course, the win from nowhere against Munster.

It is disingenuous to suppose that Kiss is a clown with excellent coaches underneath him, we know we've had a fractured coaching team for years but it's hard to think the new regime is anything but working together. That does not mean the right man is in charge.

Saturday was a strange game, at several stages they threatened to physically overwhelm us but there was enough fight in the team to stay in it, Rory was utterly magnificent but I am left with the feeling we came out of that game just about as well as was possible. They squandered a lot early on, we got lucky with a harsh yellow card, Stockcube should never have been allowed to get that try, many refs might have ruled the flick to him as forward - it wasn't - and then, though it was a great bit of skill by Cave to put Timoney in, it was partly freakish. You could say we might have looked for a drop goal but I thought we finish the game very well.

If we progress from the group it will be down to the appalling state of Hairyquims and Wassups, two shameful set of Lionels, they really do drag down the standard. Exeter have been their exception, Saracens have been poor, Tigers shamed in France yesterday and Barf were very lucky to get a sodden night at Parc-y-Empy or they would have been trounced again.

Anyway, we'll see how things pan out. My expectation is disappointment
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Perhaps the "noise" started to get to people and they tightened up ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Oh Baggy, ye aul saftie.
It's pat on the back time. For us!
The noise got through. Kiss spoke in understandable English. Rory (who was crap in his last outing) was great.
OxO remember he wasn't quite the finished article and put in a shift.
The two cubs in the pack had a great day.

All of the above has been written many, many times on these fine pages. We're teaching them how to do it right.
As for feeling sorry for Kiss... nope. He's had two years and we're going backwards.
Feck knows where we'll land if he gets seven years.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

baggy.. for feck sake what is happening its you that posts the clown pics..

ps we also got lucky with Gilroy not getting a card a point ignored here but which could have also changed the game.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I refer the honourable gentlemen to this part of my post:
That does not mean the right man is in charge.
I believe that as much today as I have all year.

Cockers, I don't think Gilroy was in any way lucky, straightforward accident in which he came off second best. Their player clearly understood that coming to shake his hand as Gilroy was led off.
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I refer the honourable gentlemen to this part of my post:
That does not mean the right man is in charge.
I believe that as much today as I have all year.

Cockers, I don't think Gilroy was in any way lucky, straightforward accident in which he came off second best. Their player clearly understood that coming to shake his hand as Gilroy was led off.
Yeah the player that was involved in the collison, however the other La Rochelle player was ready to rip Gilroy a new one and had to be pushed away by the UR physios.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

mea97mb wrote:Yeah the player that was involved in the collison, however the other La Rochelle player was ready to rip Gilroy a new one and had to be pushed away by the UR physios.
Nothing screams "class" like a player arriving late to physically confront an opponent already being seen to by a doctor...

Anyway, I also think Gilroy might have been lucky. That was one of those things that could have looked a lot worse from another angle.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Neil F wrote:
mea97mb wrote:Yeah the player that was involved in the collison, however the other La Rochelle player was ready to rip Gilroy a new one and had to be pushed away by the UR physios.
Nothing screams "class" like a player arriving late to physically confront an opponent already being seen to by a doctor...

Anyway, I also think Gilroy might have been lucky. That was one of those things that could have looked a lot worse from another angle.
Bizarre tackle technique by Gilroy.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND