Replacement 10

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Re: Replacement 10

Post by therealspratt »

We'll see about Curtis as a 12, I'd worry he's too small for the game he plays at pro level. Don't know about the comparisons to Olding both in terms of level of talent as well as style.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Russ wrote:
Big-al wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Bring Humph On!! wrote:http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/bkeena ... y-carbery/

Hayden Parker anybody ? I don’t know him but sounds the type of player would suit us. Also I can’t imagine he’d be too costly. Would take a bit of pressure off young McP.
With proper coaching Lowry and McPhillips will do me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why can't he even make the u20 squad?
IRFU instructed Banbridge not to play him as they wanted him for jRWC
Went to the training session
IRFU told him he didnt have enough game time to be considered

Almost as if the IRFU had an agenda to pick another 10

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sounds like the IRFU wanting the Cork team in AIL 1. Banbridge lost that game (and almost the Ballynahinch game) because they hadn't a capable outhalf to control field position. Basically nobody could kick for sh!t and they were running the ball from even their own try line which I found unbelievable even when they had the wind. I know Soper likes to run the ball but even a semi competent 10 and Banbridge would be the only Ulster team in AIL 1. Banbridge played Rory Best a few years back after he came back from a longterm injury. Why not a young lad who needs gametime for a fast approaching tournament??
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

HammerTime wrote:
Russ wrote:
Big-al wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Bring Humph On!! wrote:http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/bkeena ... y-carbery/

Hayden Parker anybody ? I don’t know him but sounds the type of player would suit us. Also I can’t imagine he’d be too costly. Would take a bit of pressure off young McP.
With proper coaching Lowry and McPhillips will do me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why can't he even make the u20 squad?
IRFU instructed Banbridge not to play him as they wanted him for jRWC
Went to the training session
IRFU told him he didnt have enough game time to be considered

Almost as if the IRFU had an agenda to pick another 10

Sounds like the IRFU wanting the Cork team in AIL 1. Banbridge lost that game (and almost the Ballynahinch game) because they hadn't a capable outhalf to control field position. Basically nobody could kick for sh!t and they were running the ball from even their own try line which I found unbelievable even when they had the wind. I know Soper likes to run the ball but even a semi competent 10 and Banbridge would be the only Ulster team in AIL 1. Banbridge played Rory Best a few years back after he came back from a longterm injury. Why not a young lad who needs gametime for a fast approaching tournament??
With more reliance on academy players next season though Banbridge if they had got into 1A would probably have struggled and come back down so it might be a blessing in disguise.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
moyletra
Novice

Post by moyletra »

Robert du Preez played at Ravenhill 18 months ago Babas v Fiji. An awful November's evening, he ran the game and kicked well including a drop goal conversion from the touchline. Was with Stormers, now with Sharks (?) and called up to Boks. Would he be an option?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

moyletra wrote:Robert du Preez played at Ravenhill 18 months ago Babas v Fiji. An awful November's evening, he ran the game and kicked well including a drop goal conversion from the touchline. Was with Stormers, now with Sharks (?) and called up to Boks. Would he be an option?

He did have an excellent game that night. Likely to get his 1st cap for SA v Wales on Saturday night.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

I'd take him
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

damianmcr wrote:I'd take him
From behind?

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
From behind?

Any chance?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:
From behind?

Any chance?
Merry go round

Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

moyletra wrote:Robert du Preez played at Ravenhill 18 months ago Babas v Fiji. An awful November's evening, he ran the game and kicked well including a drop goal conversion from the touchline. Was with Stormers, now with Sharks (?) and called up to Boks. Would he be an option?

Would take him & his brothers in a heartbeat :red: :fleg:

But ... he would definitely limit the game time of McP & Lowry.

This 10 business is hard to call. Du Preez strikes me as the type of 10 we need ... controls the game, not the flashiest but plays the game in the right areas of the field & brings others into the game. But he is of an age & stage of his career where he will want game time. Whereas the likes of a Keatley, while maybe not as exciting a prospective signing may be what we need at this stage. Keats knows the league. He knows how McFarland. At a stage of his career where not playing every week may be a good thing to prolong his career. He’s steady, capable & from what I’ve read & heard a “good pro” - another experienced head in the changing room would be no bad thing.

Keats isn’t going to hold back the development of our 2 young 10’s whereas Du Preez, IMO a better player, may not be the best for bringing out the best in McP & Lowry.

:banghead:
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Do you know who'd be a fantastic 10 for us
Paddy Jackson

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:Do you know who'd be a fantastic 10 for us
Paddy Jackson

I've been saying that for weeks but was told this morning I have more chance of shagging Emma Watson.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Totally agree "Bring Humph on". Those who continue to mention Jackson need to get real. HE WILL NOT RETURN TO ULSTER IN THE NEAR FUTURE. After a couple of years he should return and I hope he does.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Well I would have taken Olding at 10 but he’s gone off to Brive now so I suppose I’d take paddy Jackson at a push.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Russ wrote:Do you know who'd be a fantastic 10 for us
Paddy Jackson

Is he any good