Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

TopPoster
Initiate

Re: Team for the Defeat at Scaaaaaaaaaaalets

Post by TopPoster »

They should put most of the squad on performance related pay. They’d get a rebate from Deysel and Ah Feck.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

TopPoster wrote:They should put most of the squad on performance related pay. They’d get a rebate from Deysel and Ah Feck.
Said it at the time and going to keep saying it but Deysel was an awful signing. Compete knee jerk reaction.

3 NIQs have to be world class and have local lads coming through. According to some within the management, the game has gone global when it comes to bringing in players. Try telling Leinster that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Bart S wrote:
BR wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:Are we still blaming Kiss
Yes.

That attack (I use the term loosley) had Kiss written all over it.

Is he still giving the half time team talks as well?
When things get stretched (and that was most of the game tonight) when we may expect a but if heads up rugby, the players return to playing the old systems. Hence after a phase or 2, and no breakthrough we kick the ball to them.

For the love of God, can someone explain to me why Cooney would take the ball from the back of a perfectly secure maul and box kick, other than that is what Kiss had him drilled to do?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Ulster are shyt

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

BR wrote:
Bart S wrote:
BR wrote:
Yes.

When things get stretched (and that was most of the game tonight) when we may expect a but if heads up rugby, the players return to playing the old systems. Hence after a phase or 2, and no breakthrough we kick the ball to them.

For the love of God, can someone explain to me why Cooney would take the ball from the back of a perfectly secure maul and box kick, other than that is what Kiss had him drilled to do?

Love a box kick that can’t be contested.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

kingofthehill wrote:
BR wrote:
Bart S wrote:
BR wrote:
Yes.

Love a box kick that can’t be contested.

There's always a chance the opposition will misfield it. Let's face it that has been our 2nd most effective tactic for the last 3 years.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BR wrote:
Bart S wrote:
BR wrote:
Yes.

But last week our defence had supposedly already improved post Kiss. I think tonight there was a lot less eivdence to show that.

Kiss was not the answer but what us very ckear is that our problems go a long way beyond him and blaming him for the mess we are in risks obscuring other problems.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

We try to play bosh through the middle rugby but don't have the players to do it
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

kingofthehill wrote:
TopPoster wrote:They should put most of the squad on performance related pay. They’d get a rebate from Deysel and Ah Feck.
Said it at the time and going to keep saying it but Deysel was an awful signing. Compete knee jerk reaction.

3 NIQs have to be world class and have local lads coming through. According to some within the management, the game has gone global when it comes to bringing in players. Try telling Leinster that.

King i agree, but what we can’t have is a situation like we had under McGlock/Anscombe where success/a trophy was our be all and end all, at the expense of development. We succeeded on the back of a 1-9 including 4 top class imports plus 2 IQ imports (Court and Tuohy). Best and Ferris were already well established and in fiarness to McGlock, he can take a lot of credit for Henry’s conversion to a very good 7. But immediately beyond that it was the likes Stevenson and Falloon, (albeit they would walk ino the team we have now.).

I knnow some say play a load of youngsters and in truth they may be better than a fair amount of what we have, but bar the freakish ones like a Ferris or a Hendy, most of the others will thrive in an environment where they have some good players around them, rather than in an inexperienced side. I’d be happy with us committing to play at least say 2 Academy lads in every starting pack next season, even in the SDC. We might lose some games we could have won and short term that may cost us, but we need to think longer term.
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

It's a team game but if you have a couple of players not pulling their weight it is so easy for the opposition to cut holes right through you. Add to that the fact that Ulster have more than a couple of useless individuals and Welsh officials cheat we were never going to win.

We've offloaded Kiss. Let's now get rid of Peel and Bryn.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Told you all a few weeks back that it would get worse before it got better. It did, mind you although I was only half watching due to a room celebrating a birthday, it seemed to be much better, right up until the disgraceful decision to disallow a brilliant try for Timoney. Snipe is right, it was pivotal.

When you get a kingsize boot in the plums like that, if you are playing well you can cope, when things are halfway down the toilet, less so. As such it was a huge turning point in the game.

It's like this, no Best, Hendy, Stockcube, Girrid, Piutau, Jackson, Olding you are in an area where you need a better squad than Ulster's to manage.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Told you all a few weeks back that it would get worse before it got better. It did, mind you although I was only half watching due to a room celebrating a birthday, it seemed to be much better, right up until the disgraceful decision to disallow a brilliant try for Timoney. Snipe is right, it was pivotal.

When you get a kingsize boot in the plums like that, if you are playing well you can cope, when things are halfway down the toilet, less so. As such it was a huge turning point in the game.

It's like this, no Best, Hendy, Stockcube, Girrid, Piutau, Jackson, Olding you are in an area where you need a better squad than Ulster's to manage.

Looking at the list Best is on the decline, Piutau is going, Payne may retire in a month, Jackson (who knows?) and Olding had shown a lot of talent but had not established himself as a starter).

What is also concerning is that whilst we were missing some players, that was a long long way from the Scaaarlets first team which tanked us and absolutely schooled us in the second half.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Bart S wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Told you all a few weeks back that it would get worse before it got better. It did, mind you although I was only half watching due to a room celebrating a birthday, it seemed to be much better, right up until the disgraceful decision to disallow a brilliant try for Timoney. Snipe is right, it was pivotal.

Looking at the list Best is on the decline, Piutau is going, Payne may retire in a month, Jackson (who knows?) and Olding had shown a lot of talent but had not established himself as a starter).

What is also concerning is that whilst we were missing some players, that was a long long way from the Scaaarlets first team which tanked us and absolutely schooled us in the second half.
That Scarlets side was more than sprinkled with youngsters I think the back three were all 19 or something one playing his first ever game and the bench also had 19-20 years olds on it... yes they had one or two older heads but that was it... what they and other sides like Edinburgh do is play to a system allowing everyone to buy in and be comfortable with how they play however than might be whenever they have to step in... Ulster seem to have a dozen different tactics a year none of which are working.

It was interesting to hear two of our ex players say that they could see improvement in the defence from Kiss... but then that was before the second half.. Yes the ref was bad but we have never been able to adapt an play a referee like a street wise team for the best part of god knows how long.. Many years ago we used to laugh at Glasgow and even Scarlets for being shyte but what I have seen each year are two teams that have improved and brought through a decent squad of good and some more than good players whilst we have continued to go backwards.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

when it took so long to identify the reason to disallow the try

Review the passes any forward how many times - ah brad pitt -- non look forward

ahh someone is being held in the maul didn't get loose to tackle

found a reason

Nothing quite like to take the wind out of the effort .

That and the last kick last week to make the game lose its appeal .

Ulster looked promising I the first half

Then Cooney mucks up his first clearance to the team under the cosh like last week and when the Scarlets scored everything after that was pure turd .

Too many bruises for nothing last week - away from home with an iffy iffy ref and little reason to get more bruises for nothing - a recipe for heartless rugby if ever there was one

And that's what the second half was heartless - Ulster can play better have played better but only when they had a reason .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It's giving very heavy snow for friday evening.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?