Should Gibbs and Peel Go if:

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Re: Should Gibbs and Peel Go if:

Post by thecrouch »

Snipe Watson wrote:
thecrouch wrote:
Dave wrote:
thecrouch wrote:I actually ran into Gibbes at the Leinster v Scarlets match in the RDS last week.

I am not going to quote the guy verbatim publicly on here, but there is certainly no delusion on his behalf with regards to the state of Ulster right now.
Crouchie, are you a PSNI detective?
I don't get the joke Dave. >EF
A detective in a particularly high profile case didn't cover himself in glory recently with his gathering, recording and reporting of witness testimony.
oh. :lol:
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

What Snipe said.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

:| Looks like we are prepared to give Gibbs 2-3 years to get it right. :|
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bart S wrote: Who has been coaching the forwards this year then? If the answer is Kiss then what has Gibbes been doing? On the same basis (ie Kiss has been doing it all) then Why get rid of Clarke.

I am all for giving him a fair chance, but a few tough stares and telling it like it is does not obscure the fact that he has presided over a regression in our pack this season. He has more to prove now than when he arrived.
FFFS Bart, get yourself down to your local apothecary and seek ye some of his finest tighten-up syrup.

Did Jono do any of the following:

- sign Hond
- sign Deysel
- sign Piutau instead of a brilliant back row who isn't made of lego.
- allow Iain Henderson to come back ridiculously late from the Lions junket
- break Rory Best on his return doing a box-ticking exercise
- keep Daves on contract after they are shown to be a waste of a contract.

The man is a coach, not King friggin' Midas. Coaching decent players to become better is possible, miracles on Daves are not part of the process.

He's had 3 games, let's discount the Kings. Against Embra there was no shortage of application, much of it was defensive but much of it was noticeably better, we were already low on players available having had 3 bad injuries against the Kings & again injuries struck.

We will have different thoughts on Scarlets but for my money and watching with distractions, the first half seemed decent & I care not a jot what anyone says, had Ulster gone in 14-3 up at halftime, it was a different game. As it was when you are down to the bottom of your squad, when things turn against you, they fall on their arses.

Now FFFS behave yerself, this will not be a quick fix. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Gerald the Mole wrote::| Looks like we are prepared to give Gibbs 2-3 years to get it right. :|
I'd be more inclined to do that Ger than 2-3 games. It's not a stretch to see that he can do a job, unlike the last clown in charge he has coaching chops. I'm not judging him on a few games with the arseend of the squad.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

At some point, Ulster need a meaningful review of the entire coaching structure. Not in terms of the long worn out jobs description discussion; but more in terms of the structure of the team and how they work together. For at least ten years, Ulster have suffered a cycle of a head coach / director of rugby / whatever working with a coaching ticket he didn't appoint. Whether because of the general cycle of no-one lasting too long in that position at Ulster, restrictions from inside Ulster Rugby, or both, I can't think of a period of more than a few months where the guy at the top of the coaching pyramid had his own guys beneath him. This is something Ulster seriously need to sort out before anything else.

Let me put this another way - if someone new comes in before next season and decides that Gibbes, Peel, Malone and Dundon are the best available to him, they should stay. If Gibbes is given the reigns and decides Peel, Malone and Dundon are the best available, ditto. If A.N. Other / Gibbes / Whoever decides someone isn't to their linking, isn't up to scratch, or anything else, they should be shown the door. This is not a time for sentiment; not a time for giving guys a chance to prove themselves; it is about getting the right person in the top seat and letting him put his team together.

I think it's ridiculous that anyone would suggest that the rest of this season should be a part of that process. The season was over in September when Ulster lost away to Zebre. Kiss held on for several months after that; but it's hard to think that the short-termism that was followed in this period didn't do any more damage. Judging Gibbes and Peel after a couple of weeks on how they wade out of the tom kite that Ulster were left in is absurd.

Let me put it like this; Ulster's next steps needs to be the same whether Ulster lose all remaining fixtures this season; or end up winning the playoffs. Just as I wouldn't suggest that Gibbes and Peel and the others should be maintained in the latter situation; I wouldn't say that should be jettisoned in the former.

The answer here isn't easy. The short one is that Gibbes and Peel are the right men if a new head coach / DOR decides they are; or if a meaningful search suggests that Gibbes is the right man (and is the right man because he is the right man, not because he is already in situ). Whether or not I trust Ulster Rugby to get that process right or not is another matter.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

If I remember right Sexton wouldn’t take the job unless he was allowed to bring on his own staff,people he trusts.

Look at how football managers work,they bring their own staff 99% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

BBL
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

kingofthehill wrote:If I remember right Sexton wouldn’t take the job unless he was allowed to bring on his own staff,people he trusts.

Doesn't fit well with the IRFU dumb ass affirmative action policy of insisting on developing indigenous coaches. Is that even a policy nowadays?
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Snipe Watson wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:If I remember right Sexton wouldn’t take the job unless he was allowed to bring on his own staff,people he trusts.

Doesn't fit well with the IRFU dumb ass affirmative action policy of insisting on developing indigenous coaches. Is that even a policy nowadays?

Developing Irish everything is a policy. Should pass an act to ensure it happens.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Gibbes mustn’t like the weather in Belfast.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Must be that follow up interview with ARU :duck:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

kingofthehill wrote:Gibbes mustn’t like the weather in Belfast.

Snow was ok in Clermont, must be the lack of ski lifts on Divis ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Maybe Afoa told him about airmiles.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I really hope tafeck they totally forget the DOR job.
Too many layers and the onion starts to rot from the inside.
Let the Head Coach pick the team, decide tactics and have as much input as possible into the signing of new Dave’s. Let the Head Coach put manners into the snowflakes and tell the bluffers they’ve been found out.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.