Ulster Squad 2019/20

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Re: Ulster Squad 2019/20

Post by Dublin4 »

To be honest, it's hard to see Jordi getting a place at Leinster with the younger guys now in the back row for us like Doris and Deegan.
Dan Leavy is making a big effort to come back too. Conan in the mix too.
Jordi will stay in Belfast unless he gets a big offer from France and he has given up on Ireland prospects.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Dublin4 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:05 am To be honest, it's hard to see Jordi getting a place at Leinster with the younger guys now in the back row for us like Doris and Deegan.
Dan Leavy is making a big effort to come back too. Conan in the mix too.
Jordi will stay in Belfast unless he gets a big offer from France and he has given up on Ireland prospects.
I'd say this is about right, he'd be a mile down the pecking order at Leinster by now - tbh while he's a solid player, I'm not sure he's got so much stardust that he could get a really big offer from France (taking into account Belfast cost of living, and also proximity to home) so I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed put and tried to get back in the Ireland mix.
..one more thing
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Belfast is no distance from Dublin in the grand scheme of things. The family* can easily jump in a car and come up the road to see them play, or the player can make a wee a visit down the road within a day with absolutely no bother.

Living in Belfast is very comfortable with family roots in Dublin really.

*by that I mean mammy/daddy/etc rather than the wife 'n kids.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Another two years for Matty Rea and a three year deal for Stewart Moore (the first year being a development player contract).
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Jordi and Jack McGrath yet to sign, i suspect they'll be offski. Does any one anticipate any decent new signings nevermind a marquee signing? I don't!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Surely McGrath has another year at least. He only joined 6months ago
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He's on an IRFU contract.

He won't get another but may well wish to stay with us on the basis that he's getting regular rugby and is catching the eye of the selectors again.

Jordi on the other hand....
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

My gut says Jack and Jordi will stay.

I doubt there will be any NIQs coming in but they are allowed to sign NIQs in two certain positions.

Warwick and McCall contracts will depend on McGrath but personally think they are better giving Callum Reid opportunities.

John Andrew seems to have fallen out of favour and with Tom Stewart coming through i reckon the writing is on the wall.

Ludik will prob stay another year.

Stockdale, Addison and Reidy will all stay.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

McCall seemed to have more potential when he debuted but injuries seem to have some for his scrummaging almost entirely, where Warwick can scrum to an extent and can in a pinch cover both sides but is so limited in his other contributions about the pitch. Reid should be getting most of their gametime right now and you'd hope Milasinovic could cover some of it as well when he comes back. Maybe Saunderson could join the academy next year and fill out that depth a bit more.
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

Post by Hapax Legomenon »

There's a whole lot of wishful thinking on the prop front. Warwick and McCall have both failed to develop and are not good enough.

If Murphy and McGrath feel they have no future in the Ireland setup they may jump ship to secure a big pay rise.
There can be only one
ScottishBrian
Novice

Post by ScottishBrian »

who were the props on the under 20's match today?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

ScottishBrian wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:23 pm who were the props on the under 20's match today?
2 Leinster men. Ulster's 5 were hooker, no 8, scrum half, centre and winger.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Neill_M wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:42 am
ScottishBrian wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:23 pm who were the props on the under 20's match today?
2 Leinster men. Ulster's 5 were hooker, no 8, scrum half, centre and winger.
Caught a bit of it- Finlay at 9 was impressive- it was commented on that he seems to be very like Munsters Craig Casey from last year - which is a hell of a compliment as Casey was excellent last year and is seen as. great prospect. With himself, Doak and McKee coming through we could have some good competition for scrum half in the future.
McCann was a little quiet, Stewart looked great- very pacy too, Hyde seemed decent and McIlroy looked good- put in some good hits in defence.

On the prop front- McGrath is back in the Ireland squad so I could see him staying- hopefully they bring through Reid soon as McGrath, EoS and Reid would be a fantastic set of loosehead props. McCall seems to have suffered from injuries and Warwick doesn't offer enough.
One of the 10's need to establish themselves wether thats Lowry or Johnston, I assume one of the 9s mentioned will get fast tracked.
Notarealdoctor
Novice

Post by Notarealdoctor »

So, Jacob gets a central contract. Does that free up a significant amount of money to retain Jordi and/or Jack? Is that how it works?
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

Notarealdoctor wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:44 am So, Jacob gets a central contract. Does that free up a significant amount of money to retain Jordi and/or Jack? Is that how it works?
That is exactly how it works. Why it is so important to get as many players on central contracts as possible.