Ulster Squad 2019/20

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster Squad 2019/20

Post by big mervyn »

Jackie Brown wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:25 pm Marcus Rea can't be let go, he has a lot of potential.
Played one game and picked up a MOTM or am I wrong?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

I am not particularly political in any way but this signing worries me. I do not think that professional players should openly display any political beliefs when representing a club. This guy knew what he was doing and the reaction he would get when he chose to wear his shinner boots. Yet Ulster Rugby are prepared to sign him? We got rid of two guys who were found not guilty of sexual charges but still they were jettisoned to appease the Woke society. It was labelled as the right thing to do as they would have been disruptive. Yet we sign a boy who has openly caused offence to many. I don't like the way UR are going.

From a playing point of view what are we signing? Is he a third choice out half behind Burns and Johnson? If so fine but how much are we spending on him? Don't understand it at all.

The culture of Ulster Rugby is changing and not for the better.
LTHG
chunky
Novice

Post by chunky »

Columbo wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:19 pm Interesting note in Jonathan Bradley's article today - apparently 5 players currently on the senior panel, and 5 in the academy have been told they're free to look elsewhere... With that size of exodus, and even with what looks like a promising intake in the academy, and a potential slimming of the squad, that suggests a couple more additions to the squad for next season.

My guess of the exiting players: O'Hagan, Z McCall, Ross, Rea Jnr / Jones, Stewart. And from the academy: Dunleavy, Hall, Agnew, Regan, Curtis? Maybe Dalton? Hughes?
Hall and O'Hagan were released before Christmas and immediately left Ballynahinch as well - O'Hagan back at Rainey, Hall back at Ballyclare (Ulster branch won't allow him to play 1st XV)
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The biggest problem in Ulster rugby is image and this has nothing to do with treatment of the innocent two and the nature of the gamesmanship of their what's app messages.

It is the fact that Rugby is seen as a protestant sport in Ulster. And in Ulster Protestant equates to Unionist.

If the signing of Madigan , who appears to be a maggot lessens that prejudice of the other half of the political/ religious divide in this part of the world it might be a good thing . Personally I doubt there is sufficient willingness to be open minded and all embracing within the Ulster GAA fraternity . Schools in the rest of Ireland play both --here its one or other but seldom if ever both .

To be honest i have never heard politics raised in a or discussed in a Rugby Club most having the good sense to recognise that the three things most likely to start a fight -- are Religion -- Politics -- and making advances to or derogatory statements about the wrong female. The last unfortunately happens occasionally .

Although I once played rugby with a player who was banned from Shane Park, Collegians, a couple of golf Clubs and several pubs -- he had a reputation as a fighter -- he was approached so often with the words " Are you ----" he greeted them with a Glasgow Kiss - Punch and then Booting.

When told of his reputation I avoided his company -- I like to be able to have a drink in Pubs and Clubs
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

lovesthehardground wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:44 pm I am not particularly political in any way but this signing worries me. I do not think that professional players should openly display any political beliefs when representing a club. This guy knew what he was doing and the reaction he would get when he chose to wear his shinner boots. Yet Ulster Rugby are prepared to sign him? We got rid of two guys who were found not guilty of sexual charges but still they were jettisoned to appease the Woke society. It was labelled as the right thing to do as they would have been disruptive. Yet we sign a boy who has openly caused offence to many. I don't like the way UR are going.

From a playing point of view what are we signing? Is he a third choice out half behind Burns and Johnson? If so fine but how much are we spending on him? Don't understand it at all.

I tend to think his boots were an expression of national pride rather than a political statement.
In my experience, perfectly reasonable people view such expressions as being totally inoffensive outside their particular cultural bubble, but they aren't.
I also suspect he has been placed here by Nucifuhrer who is desperately trying to solve the Ireland flyhalf problem.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Get over the feckin boots.

Our other "Irish" OH used? to support Engerland ffs!

Wonder if any of our boys will be wearing 1921 boots :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

If nothing else it will offer an opportunity to blame the Ra every time Ulster loses a game when Mads is playing. :D

It won't matter that he wore the boots to honour his great grandfather who was a doctor who tended to injured folk on the streets of Dublin in 1916...
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Aaron hall has already gone from the academy and re-signed for Ballyclare RFC. Made his debut, sent off and banned for a couple of games
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Let’s get real - it’s got feck all to do with his boots. He is irish, it’s a big historic event in irish history.

The issue is simple - he is shyte.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Such a shame about Hall, injuries really did for him. I'm slightly surprised though that Agnew wasn't released at the same time given how his career has failed to launch through injuries too.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

On Marcus Rea, that game where he won the MOTM is something I've always viewed as an exception to the norm with him. He's never particularly blown me away and I think Matthew will be the one to be more of a lasting presence in the squad.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Snipe Watson wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:36 pm
lovesthehardground wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:44 pm I am not particularly political in any way but this signing worries me. I do not think that professional players should openly display any political beliefs when representing a club. This guy knew what he was doing and the reaction he would get when he chose to wear his shinner boots. Yet Ulster Rugby are prepared to sign him? We got rid of two guys who were found not guilty of sexual charges but still they were jettisoned to appease the Woke society. It was labelled as the right thing to do as they would have been disruptive. Yet we sign a boy who has openly caused offence to many. I don't like the way UR are going.

I tend to think his boots were an expression of national pride rather than a political statement.
In my experience, perfectly reasonable people view such expressions as being totally inoffensive outside their particular cultural bubble, but they aren't.
I also suspect he has been placed here by Nucifuhrer who is desperately trying to solve the Ireland flyhalf problem.
Couldn't agree more about the boots. Might seem offensive to some Ulster supporters but he is an Irishman who was marking a seminal point in Irish history. I've never once based my view of any Ulster player on whether or not they want to be part of the UK or the RoI.

I imagine he has quite a lot still to offer as a player and he can play 10,12,13 or 15 so if it is a cut price deal, as KOTH says ( and who can doubt KOTH! ), he'll probably bring a lot to our squad. I suspect he is a top professional, as all the Leinster imports have been. I can't see a down side to this signing tbh.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

TopPoster wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:41 pm Let’s get real - it’s got feck all to do with his boots. He is irish, it’s a big historic event in irish history.

The issue is simple - he is shyte.
Shyte players get 30 caps for one of the top ranked international teams. There's hope for us all.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

On the latest BT podcast, JB says he thinks that Nordi will sign a new deal.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Hope he is right, we need depth in the pack. No matter how good a signing IM is, the pack win games and the backs decide by how much; that has not changed.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!