Ulster Squad 2019/20

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Notarealdoctor
Novice

Re: Ulster Squad 2019/20

Post by Notarealdoctor »

So who does this leave playing for a contract this year?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

They include Addison, Reidy and Nordi.

Stockdale will also be out of contract but will get an IRFU one.

McGrath's IRFU contract will expire so we'll have to cough up to keep him.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

The Dan McF clear out will continue come end of season. It’ll be interesting re his attitude to Warwick & McCall at LH, although squad should constantly change, I’d still say he’s got players that aren’t part of his plans going forward that he’s inherited.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Well it’s a big squad and he hasn’t been here very long.

Andrew and Ross may be coming to the end.

Kane and Shanners were actually given new contracts by Dan last season.

One would like to think that we’re looking for another 9 given Cooney’s unstoppable march towards a tour place with the Lions.
Notarealdoctor
Novice

Post by Notarealdoctor »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:53 am They include Addison, Reidy and Nordi.

I'll have all five, please.

One would like to think that we’re looking for another 9 given Cooney’s unstoppable march towards a tour place with the Lions.
If I remember correctly, Andrew is signed on until the end of next season. Agreed, we need another 9. There aren't many IQ'd 9's around the provinces going spare. Oh for a Craig Casey to be coming through our ranks.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Notarealdoctor wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:21 am
justinr73 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:53 am They include Addison, Reidy and Nordi.

If I remember correctly, Andrew is signed on until the end of next season. Agreed, we need another 9. There aren't many IQ'd 9's around the provinces going spare. Oh for a Craig Casey to be coming through our ranks.
I find it strange that the starting 9 for the only Ulster club in AIL 1A has no involvement with Ulster at all.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

therealspratt wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:11 am

I find it strange that the starting 9 for the only Ulster club in AIL 1A has no involvement with Ulster at all.
We have Nathan Doak coming through of which massive things are hoped for, still at school and played all of the Ulster A games at the start of the season. He is clearly being fast tracked. Can play either of the half back positions.

He was very impressive against Australia Schools when I watched.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 95958.html
Sadler rates him also.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:53 pm

We have Nathan Doak coming through of which massive things are hoped for, still at school and played all of the Ulster A games at the start of the season. He is clearly being fast tracked. Can play either of the half back positions.

Sadler rates him also.
Doak could be good but I've never been fully sold on him from what I've seen of him, also I'm not sure that he is a 9 and not a 10. There's another one in his age bracket, Conor McKee, who is more of your traditional whippet, but really I want answers some day as to why such a talent as O'Donnell has been shut out when we have such a mediocre pool of scrumhalves.
Notarealdoctor
Novice

Post by Notarealdoctor »

therealspratt wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:36 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Sadler rates him also.
Doak could be good but I've never been fully sold on him from what I've seen of him, also I'm not sure that he is a 9 and not a 10. There's another one in his age bracket, Conor McKee, who is more of your traditional whippet, but really I want answers some day as to why such a talent as O'Donnell has been shut out when we have such a mediocre pool of scrumhalves.
The O'Donnell one is a mystery, I thought that he at would have at least featured in the Celtic Cup. I trust in the academy system at the minute though, to be honest. They're getting it right for the most part with respect to selecting players.

I've seen the Australia highlights, he'd slipped my mind actually. Looks pretty assured for this stage of his development.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

I'd put Doak and McKee well ahead of O'Donnell having watched all three at age grade.

O'Donnell has a couple of senior seasons on them but would hope the other two could surpass.

O'Donnell ahead of Stewart - Stewart I believe States/Canada bound at end of season.

Just my opinion.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Notarealdoctor wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:21 pm
The O'Donnell one is a mystery, I thought that he at would have at least featured in the Celtic Cup. I trust in the academy system at the minute though, to be honest. They're getting it right for the most part with respect to selecting players.

I've seen the Australia highlights, he'd slipped my mind actually. Looks pretty assured for this stage of his development.
I do have some notion that so long as Campbell is involved with the academy then O'Donnell won't be. I don't trust the academy particularly in terms of selection, overall the pipeline has been improved but I think they are still very much capable of questionable decisions on who to bring in, when you've the likes of Bruce Houston and then Conor Rankin over McIlroy.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

To digress Tom Stewart is the guy I'm most excited about, we seem to always produce hookers.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:39 pm To digress Tom Stewart is the guy I'm most excited about, we seem to always produce hookers.
Stewart seems to be a real talent, with him and McBurney starting to show what he's about we look like we're well set up! What's weird though is this Saffer schoolboy hooker we're supposedly bringing in really quite surplus to requirements.

Second row on the other hand is a wasteland. Maybe there's McMenamin, but anyone with an inkling of potential seems rather far off.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

therealspratt wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:05 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:39 pm To digress Tom Stewart is the guy I'm most excited about, we seem to always produce hookers.
Stewart seems to be a real talent, with him and McBurney starting to show what he's about we look like we're well set up! What's weird though is this Saffer schoolboy hooker we're supposedly bringing in really quite surplus to requirements.

Second row on the other hand is a wasteland. Maybe there's McMenamin, but anyone with an inkling of potential seems rather far off.
My guess if the Saffer rumour is true, either himself or Tom Stewarts long term plan will be in a different position to where they are playing now.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Some chat on the BT podcast about Nordi’s omission from the ‘stock take’.

There’s no suggestion that he is definitely moving away but if he’s not going to be involved with Ireland.....

Same with McGrath.