Ulster v Leinster Sat Apr 27th 5:15pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Re: Ulster v Leinster Sat Apr 27th 5:15pm

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Jackie Brown wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Deraless wrote:Flabbergasted at the McFadden stitch. Touch judge flagged for it. I couldn't work out what they were looking for on the big screen cos I was miles away and looking at the ruck. But if he gave a penalty then that is a red all day, all night and the next day too. People get red carded "by the letter of the law". That was blatant.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
He’s been cited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good, didn't think they cited in Interpros. If it was a penalty it was a red, otherwise what was it a penalty for? Clanger Clancy strikes again!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Watched the incident on premier sports when I got back, he said he was "aggressive", therefore it is a penalty
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jackie Brown wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Deraless wrote:Flabbergasted at the McFadden stitch. Touch judge flagged for it. I couldn't work out what they were looking for on the big screen cos I was miles away and looking at the ruck. But if he gave a penalty then that is a red all day, all night and the next day too. People get red carded "by the letter of the law". That was blatant.

He’s been cited.

Good, didn't think they cited in Interpros. If it was a penalty it was a red, otherwise what was it a penalty for? Clanger Clancy strikes again!

Clowncy said he couldn't see where it landed Image

Probably hit Reidy in the belly. Or possibly his big toe. Feck me Clowncy is beyond a joke. Reidy was punished for being honest. Tadgh Beirne would have played dead.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dave wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

He’s been cited.

Clowncy said he couldn't see where it landed Image

Probably hit Reidy in the belly. Or possibly his big toe. Feck me Clowncy is beyond a joke. Reidy was punished for being honest. Tadgh Beirne would have played dead.
I think Tadgh would have needed to be buried on the pitch.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Another close one which Leinster lost — a missed penalty and missed conversation .

My point about Ulster finding it hard to score when in the last 10 metres was well highlighted . M Réa finally scoring after a series of penalties.

But I have no desire to deny the fact that Ulster’s ability to retain and recycle the ball has improved substantially and in the end was the factor which made the win possible .

The Leinster full back was for me the star of their side and made the old hands look like the yesterday men they are .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Clancy's penalty advantages were interesting. Called one of ours over after Leinster turned the ball over under their own posts.Watching the match back and Joy seemed to be reffing the game from the touchline when we were encamped in the Aquinas 22 :lol: Enjoyed that much more than I was expecting to. Hope there are no significant knocks from a pretty intense game.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:Clancy's penalty advantages were interesting. Called one of ours over after Leinster turned the ball over under their own posts.Watching the match back and Joy seemed to be reffing the game from the touchline when we were encamped in the Aquinas 22 Image Enjoyed that much more than I was expecting to. Hope there are no significant knocks from a pretty intense game.
Our new loosehead looked to have broken Ross Kane yesterday. The tighthead stocks are now very low with Marty out and the fact that we gave two away. TOT's scrummaging looks to have improved vastly. If Ross Kane is now out injured, then we only have one tighthead. Maybe Andy Warwick might do a stint on the other side. Great to see Tommy O'Hagan back.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Clancy was a bit weird at times. There were quite a few scrums under their posts where our number 8 picked the ball up and placed it at his own feet before we put pressure on their scrum, surely you can't do that. Also the amount of yards made crawling on the ground was something else he didn't ref.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Lurgan Lad wrote:Clancy was a bit weird at times. There were quite a few scrums under their posts where our number 8 picked the ball up and placed it at his own feet before we put pressure on their scrum, surely you can't do that. Also the amount of yards made crawling on the ground was something else he didn't ref.
Yeah. He spoke to Cave several times about the crawling but didn't ping anybody for it.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Hope Sean is okay after grabbing Ferg and trying to milk a card out of it.. FYI you can’t grab players off the ball either.

The above tweet from Gordon D'arcy. What a d1ckhead.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jetstream wrote:Hope Sean is okay after grabbing Ferg and trying to milk a card out of it.. FYI you can’t grab players off the ball either.

In fairness he is getting properly rinsed for it on twatter.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:
Lurgan Lad wrote:Clancy was a bit weird at times. There were quite a few scrums under their posts where our number 8 picked the ball up and placed it at his own feet before we put pressure on their scrum, surely you can't do that. Also the amount of yards made crawling on the ground was something else he didn't ref.
Yeah. He spoke to Cave several times about the crawling but didn't ping anybody for it.
We did get pinged for it late in the match, they continued to play and lost the advantage in what could have been a match winning kick though was far out but had wind behind them.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Rooster wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
We did get pinged for it late in the match, they continued to play and lost the advantage in what could have been a match winning kick though was far out but had wind behind them.
So that's what that one was for. Bit of naivety on Leinster's part. The way Clancy was playing the advantage, they would surely have been better forcing Clancy to give them the kicking option. Reffing of the pen advantage seems to be increasingly inconsistent. If you're in the opponents half nothing less than 3 pts is really an advantage, Maybe it should be restricted to a set number of phases.
Big Neville Southall
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

kingofthehill wrote:Is that the worst ulster side ever to play a pro12/14 game?
The nice thing about this match is that my heart sank when I saw the team, but actually we lived with Leinster perfectly fine and deserved the win - goes to show the importance of good coaching IMO, a year ago with a scratch side out like that our scrum (and quite likely lineout) would have been all over the shop, and the defence would have been a shambles, and I'd say Leinster would have walked it. I was at Memorial stand end, and I was thinking as they went through the lineout drills that it all looked very solid and professional, something which I wouldn't always have been able to say in the past... And the defence wasn't perfect by any means, but given the side out I was impressed by the physicality, haven't seen stats, but it didn't look like there were huge numbers of missed tackles, our old achilles heel.

Couple of observations - not sure if McP has a contract for next year, but he didn't burnish his credentials unfortunately, he has nice quick feet but doesn't bring any control, and is error prone. And, connected, despite the strong consensus on here that Lowry should be at 10, you'd have to say it looks like the powers that be just don't agree - not only didn't he start there (they could have stuck McP on the bench and Owens to 15), when they finally took McP off they moved Nelson to 10, when the more obvious move (if you're thinking of Lowry as a 10) was to move Lowry there and stick either Nelson or Owens to 15..

I thought Busby and Owens were reasonably solid - Owens in particular got off the line nicely a couple of times and put a big tackle in. Stewart was indeed partially charged down once, but had one of his better games. And Rea minor had a cracking game tbf, certainly didn't look out of place which is great news. Fair to say that Ross was very good as well, as was Nagle - I see the rumour is that he's heading to Italy, on the one hand I'd like to see him around here next year because I think he's done a good job for us, on the other you can't begrudge the guy making a move to be a first choice somewhere for a few years.
..one more thing
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Advantage is called for two things— foul play - penalty
Knock on — scrum

Advantage for a knock on should be limited to a number of passes ( Say 3 )and / or a pass and kick .

Advantage penalty — out side the 22 — 2 phases -then back to penalty
Inside the 22 — 3 phases then penalty .

The problem inside 22 the attacking side on advantage are playing in a penalty free environment — the referee may cease to referee the attacking side and concentrate on looking for offences by the defending team.— impartiality ceases to exists .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
GUBU
Novice

Post by GUBU »

Dave wrote:
Jetstream wrote:Hope Sean is okay after grabbing Ferg and trying to milk a card out of it.. FYI you can’t grab players off the ball either.

In fairness he is getting properly rinsed for it on twatter.
Just D'arcy being arsey.

Through blue tinted spectacles....
“It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.”