Ulster v Connacht, Sat May 4th 2019 17:35

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Connacht, Sat May 4th 2019 17:35

Post by Dave »

All returned tickets have been on general sale for a week now.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Filthy is a word which should be used with caution in Rugby circles .

It is usually reserved for the dirtiest of players who go beyond the normal annoying minor cheats - like holding or late tackles — something akin to the late deliberate straight arm or a nip of the thigh digging in the grimy nails .

The fall in attendance could reflect a number of things . A reaction to the mismanagement and betrayal of two players and one of the basic fundamentals of rugby «  loyalty « to members when innocent of any crime .

When many already were already unhappy with the disloyalty shown to Ruan by Ulster and the IRFU .
How players , who the public admire , are treated can have a serious effect on the way fans see their role and worth to a Club.

Secondly at the end of last season a substantial number of senior players retired who had i assume a certain drawing power — the Tommy Bowe Fan base for one .

If the current group of young players can inspire the public then the attendance should improve .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

rumncoke wrote:Filthy is a word which should be used with caution in Rugby circles .

It is usually reserved for the dirtiest of players who go beyond the normal annoying minor cheats - like holding or late tackles — something akin to the late deliberate straight arm or a nip of the thigh digging in the grimy nails .

The fall in attendance could reflect a number of things . A reaction to the mismanagement and betrayal of two players and one of the basic fundamentals of rugby «  loyalty « to members when innocent of any crime .

When many already were already unhappy with the disloyalty shown to Ruan by Ulster and the IRFU .
How players , who the public admire , are treated can have a serious effect on the way fans see their role and worth to a Club.

Secondly at the end of last season a substantial number of senior players retired who had i assume a certain drawing power — the Tommy Bowe Fan base for one .

If the current group of young players can inspire the public then the attendance should improve .

Nonsense. If this were the case, 15k+ Ulster fans wouldn't have travelled to the Aviva a month ago.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

No disrespect to Tommy, but I'd be surprised if too many were forking out just to see him grace the Ravers turf post Ospreys :roll:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Could lack of BBC coverage be a factor? I know if it's on tele it might keep a few people in on rubbish nights, but it's also essentially free advertising.

Have there been more Saturday matches this year as they don't seem to get as big an attendance?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Deraless wrote:Could lack of BBC coverage be a factor? I know if it's on tele it might keep a few people in on rubbish nights, but it's also essentially free advertising.

Have there been more Saturday matches this year as they don't seem to get as big an attendance?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
It was falling before the BBC lost the rights. I think we will be years recovering from the Kiss era.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Dave wrote:Average attendances appear to be declining.

2016/17: 15,961
2017/18: 14,663
2018/19: 13,697
We probably need to look further back to put it into context.

10 years ago, what was the average gate?

Then somewhere along the way it became the place to be seen - so there were a lot of bandwagon jumpers filling up seats and terracing. Over the past few years, that has receded - probably starting around the time dHumph departed. So the peak was not a reflection of true support.

Our gates are substantially up on where they were 10 years ago; and are probably approaching what will be a long term baseline (catastrophes excluded). From that we can maybe increment up a few percent every year.

I don't think the blame can be levelled at any one person, even our ex-CEO. Why does a new restaurant in Belfast do great trade for 6 months then be shuttered 3 months later?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Tommy attracted the birds I doubt if they gave a toss about him going to Wales.

The media coverage is down thanks to Logan and reduced exposure of the game might effect crowds .

But what is being measured is average attendance and that would reflect lower attendance at the start of the season, missing internationals whereas the 15000 + in Dublin reflects the effect of two things A Derby match and ERC both ensure a better than average interest .

IMO as the current squad develop attendance may improve but Ulster folk have long memories and unforgiving nature when authority is abused .

While the likes of Dave huff and puff many say little but just turn their back and walk away .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:Average attendances appear to be declining.

2016/17: 15,961
2017/18: 14,663
2018/19: 13,697
We probably need to look further back to put it into context.

10 years ago, what was the average gate?

Then somewhere along the way it became the place to be seen - so there were a lot of bandwagon jumpers filling up seats and terracing. Over the past few years, that has receded - probably starting around the time dHumph departed. So the peak was not a reflection of true support.

Our gates are substantially up on where they were 10 years ago; and are probably approaching what will be a long term baseline (catastrophes excluded). From that we can maybe increment up a few percent every year.

I don't think the blame can be levelled at any one person, even our ex-CEO. Why does a new restaurant in Belfast do great trade for 6 months then be shuttered 3 months later?
Everyone will have their own theory on this but unless UR do some proper market research we will never know for sure.
Tightheadsdoitbest
Novice

Post by Tightheadsdoitbest »

Also, summer sports have started.

I and some others I know were able to attend last Saturday only at the last minute (and many of us are season ticket holders) as the weather didn't allow play in our summer activities... this week however the forecast is much better!

Perhaps a Friday night game would have "allowed" a bigger attendance?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Not just Ulster struggling to get a crowd for this weekend. Our Limerick cousins >TT are letting 2 kids in free for every adult ticket sold to boost the crowd for the game v Benetton.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

WTT are summer sports?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Leather on willow.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Dave wrote:WTT are summer sports?
Cricket
Tennis
GAA
Hill walking
Muff Diving Al Fresco.... :cheers:
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:WTT are summer sports?
Beach volleyball season has kicked off in Nirth Down,
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall