Glasgow v Ulster, Fri May 17, 19:35

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Glasgow v Ulster, Fri May 17, 19:35

Post by Shan »

Dave wrote:I regret watching
It was woeful, unless ya were a Glasgow ballix.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Ah well, better season than expected, had a great time with some great Glasgow fans. both in the ground and in the bars , pity super fan has resorted to calling all Glasgow fans stars on social media , maybe a bit emotional after a hard trip .Glasgow played the better rugby, we lacked precision and in attack Glasgow took the chances well, the consistency required is not there yet and some young kids still learning ,we are still about two years away to be serious Silverware contenders,
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

thecrouch wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Disappointing finish to the season but we have overachieved this year.

If you had of told me at the start of the year we would be in PRO14 semi and HC quarter I wouldn’t of believed you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct. Knockout rugby in both the league and Europe were a distant pipe dream 12 months ago.

We came up against a fully rounded and hungry Glasgow team who were considerably better than us.

There are reasons to be optimistic going forward. A full preseason under Dan and we can hit the ground running. I may just buy a season ticket.
Presumably pre-season will be a bit of a shambles this year as we'll be missing our Ireland players for most of it.
All 3 of them?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Ulster need to get to a point where we can win nearly all of our home games and most of the away ones without our ireland players. I still get the feeling when we are missing hendo, jordi and stockdale etc the team dont raise their performance enough and almost see it as a free hit. Dan needs to sort this mindset out and a preseason without the ireland players will be good for that.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Dave wrote:Lowry will need time to develop. Billy is just plain crap.

We remain monumentally fcuked by the IRFU. We all know why.
Yep. Can’t help but wonder what the season might have been with Jackson, Olding and Ruan. Still think Ruan would have stayed even with a pay cut and as a supporting act for Cooney.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

jean valjean wrote:Ulster need to get to a point where we can win nearly all of our home games and most of the away ones without our ireland players. I still get the feeling when we are missing hendo, jordi and stockdale etc the team dont raise their performance enough and almost see it as a free hit. Dan needs to sort this mindset out and a preseason without the ireland players will be good for that.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
We won all our home games bar one.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Consistency will always be a huge challenge for a young squad.

I think it’s been a cracking season. SL has been binned & LK has gone. We have I think a quality head coach which will help nurture a young squad. The squad seem happy again, & confidence has been rebuilt. The Dead wood has been cleared out, the young players have really stepped up. recruitment seems to have worked well, & good recruitment for next season. Pack has been rebuilt. Coetzee back to fitness has been a huge boost. With a good pre season with DMcF I’m expecting good things.

Hopefully Carter can improve the lineout. There are still issues at 9/10 which need addressing if we are going to beat the best. Burns isn’t the long term answer, it’ll be interesting to see the length of his contract extension when it comes sometime next season.

The games vR92 at home, Leinster in the qf, (and even beating scarlets & Leicester away) shows this squad can do the business away from home.

PJ &SO will never play for UR again, no matter when people talk about rehabilitation. The Irfu hope they’ll quietly be forgotten about. RP will always be an ulsterman, as will the 2 lads. I only hope they can enjoy the rest of their careers, show the talent they clearly have against the best in the game. Also rebuild their lives & finances. Personally it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Dharper wrote:Consistency will always be a huge challenge for a young squad.

I think it’s been a cracking season. SL has been binned & LK has gone. We have I think a quality head coach which will help nurture a young squad. The squad seem happy again, & confidence has been rebuilt. The Dead wood has been cleared out, the young players have really stepped up. recruitment seems to have worked well, & good recruitment for next season. Pack has been rebuilt. Coetzee back to fitness has been a huge boost. With a good pre season with DMcF I’m expecting good things.

Hopefully Carter can improve the lineout. There are still issues at 9/10 which need addressing if we are going to beat the best. Burns isn’t the long term answer, it’ll be interesting to see the length of his contract extension when it comes sometime next season.

The games vR92 at home, Leinster in the qf, (and even beating scarlets & Leicester away) shows this squad can do the business away from home.

PJ &SO will never play for UR again, no matter when people talk about rehabilitation. The Irfu hope they’ll quietly be forgotten about. RP will always be an ulsterman, as will the 2 lads. I only hope they can enjoy the rest of their careers, show the talent they clearly have against the best in the game. Also rebuild their lives & finances. Personally it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Cracking post, exactly what I'm thinking only better written!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

For those who think Lowry is the Messiah --- he would have been taken out in the air with some of Cooney's passes last night.

Glasgow play the man and not the ball so well--- they have referees believing it is legal. They don't join a ruck they take out men beyond the ball both in attack and defence. Its no wonder they can string about 10 -15 phases together. With dave Rennie as coach he has them playing New Zealand Rugby -- forget the ball play the man in front of you.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Well said rummy, someone hacked your account again
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

M ecpectations for this season were 3rd in Group B and winning the home group games in the Heiny so exceeded on both fronts. It does set next season's bar a tad higher than Dan might have wished.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

222toHounslow wrote:
justinr73 wrote:Two and a quid for a 12 yr old Glencoyne.

Plus a tasty half of Knops California Dreaming to wash it down.
Are you still only allowed to buy four drinks at a time?
So I queued for ten minutes at half time to get a round in and encountered problems as there were five of us.

I made it clear what I thought of their stupid rule, not least given the fact that we were three scores down and the drink they were proposing not to serve me was mine.

Thanks to the wee Scottish fella who helped me out before i made (more of) a dick of myself.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The 4 drinks thing seems to be a Scottish speciality, Edinburgh is the same
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Great season

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

Dharper wrote:Consistency will always be a huge challenge for a young squad.

It's gone for me officially I'm afraid.
I had an initial anger now I'm so apathetic towards UR I forgot entirely about this game.
A loss or victory for Ulster barely inspires a shrug out of me either way.
Personally don't give a stuff if they sink without a trace. along with Irish rugby not of the London variety I might add.
Now that's a proper club with rugby values and minerals I could support.