Harlequins Away 13 Dec

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: Harlequins Away 13 Dec

Post by Dharper »

Yep, No runner up is getting to 22. Naturally we have to do the business and beat bath with a bp which I fancy us to do - bath will be looking at the league & by then sarries will be in & around the other teams too. I don’t think Dan will allow complacency so doubt we’ll be caught out, even without bp it should be 21 pts.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I don’t see racing winning at sarries in final game. So clermont get the home qf for me. I’d give us a fighting chance away qf at Exeter/Toulouse.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

QF in Exeter will suit me down to the ground for a quick trip along the coast in April. Toulouse not so.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Dharper wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:01 am https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.belf ... 83915.html

Beltel player ratings
The BelTel's rugby coverage is pure dung. Poor analysis and no proof reader.

Adam McBurney (for Herring, 66 mins): Two crooked throws but helped create Ulster 6
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I only saw the 3 mins highlight on BT sport, but beltel low marks - despite a must win - bp win away? Must have been scored south of the border? 😂
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The Beltel ratings ,I would agree, look like D4 or Limerick/Cork in origin , all about 2 points below effort and actual performance.

But the game was basically ,as they say, one of two half(s) . The first half there was very little to between the sides ( point wise ) and it seemed like anyones game, except Ulster had maintained a higher % of both possession and territory , thus Quins had been under pressure most of the half.

The second half the weather went from bad to worse and Ulster capitalised by adapting their game to suit, by kicking for position and pressure . Two of the trys were from short kicks inside the opponents 22 definitely not a first choice tactic on a dry pitch nor a tactic frequently used by Ulster this year despite the fact many of the matches have been bad weather games.

Personally I think the switch of Stockdale to fullback has , thus far been successful, and it may be i think possibly be permanent, given the number of players Ulster (and Ireland ) have available to play on the wing. Kearney is a yesterday player now in his swan song and there is no obvious replacement. Haley of Munster is hot and cold and erratic in style as is Lamour both tend to become isolated when attacking from full back -- fine at Pro14 and European level --but not what coaches want at international level . Stockdale has been sound under the high ball , his return kick has been varied ( long touch and high up-n-under) he has linked well with his wings coming into the line, and when on run return been direct and avoided becoming isolated.Defensively his positioning will improve i am sure under the guidance of Payne but at fullback he does not appear to be caught in two minds which seemed to be the case when playing to order on the wing.

All in all I think the move to full back could suit Stockdale and Ulster and Ireland.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I tend to find that the byline provides a very good clue as to the origin of a newspaper article.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:45 am I tend to find that the byline provides a very good clue as to the origin of a newspaper article.
He seens to have a Dublin connection but I think we're wasting time discussing the merits of that ar$ewipe that masquerades as a serious news organ.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Missed the game. Is there anywhere I can see it on a streaming site.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Extended highlights (around 40 mins) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xHvgjK2G78