Cheetahs v Ulster Sat Oct 5 5:15pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Cheetahs v Ulster Sat Oct 5 5:15pm

Post by rumncoke »

ulster's second game against the Currie Cup winners and having watched the Currie Cup final I knew this was never going to be easy-- Line out not to sure what was going on what ever it was the ref did'n't twig it -- he failed to catch onto their tight head twisting the Ulster Loose head the scrum in the second half to bring the scrum down either .

Ulster gave away a couple of very easy trys in the first half and also in the second -- regardless of that the Cheetahs were the better side on the day.

It was an entertaining game -- a frustrating game -- and a game -- you realised couldn't and wouldn't be won by ulster very quickly.

Ulster got called for off side early in the match -- and there after the defence seemed to be based on the gain line close to the ruck -- this allowed the Cheetahs to reach the gain line at pace when going from deep and Ulster lacking a defence in depth . Late in the second half Ulster changed to a rush defence with bit more success in defence.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

redadare wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:15 pm This was an Ulster team not Ulster kids team. Complete team looked as if they didnt know what to do. Tackling was non exsistant. Totally inept in every department.How many players are to come in to make a miraculous improvement? Hopefully twenty, I can only think of 4.Disgraceful performance.
Missing McGrath, Moore, Henderson, Murphy, Coetzee, Timony, Burns, McCloskey, Balacoune, Stockdale, Addison against a full-strength Cheetahs side. This was always going to be a match when we were in difficulty, so to get a bonus point was as much as we could have expected. That's not to deny that we coughed up some very soft scores. The bigger issue is next Saturday's match. It's at sea level and the Kings are a far cry from the quality of the Cheetahs. They will not be pushovers and we have to play a lot better but, if we can get the win, this mini-safari will have been about as good as we could have realistically expected.
Bo***cks to Brexit
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

redadare wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:15 pm This was an Ulster team not Ulster kids team. Complete team looked as if they didnt know what to do. Tackling was non exsistant. Totally inept in every department.How many players are to come in to make a miraculous improvement? Hopefully twenty, I can only think of 4.Disgraceful performance.
McGrath, Moore, Milasinovitch, Henderson, Timoney, Coetzee. Murphy, Burns, McCloskey, Addison, Baloucoune, Stockdale. Pick whichever 4 you like.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:34 am ulster's second game against the Currie Cup winners and having watched the Currie Cup final I knew this was never going to be easy-- Line out not to sure what was going on what ever it was the ref did'n't twig it -- he failed to catch onto their tight head twisting the Ulster Loose head the scrum in the second half to bring the scrum down either .

Ulster gave away a couple of very easy trys in the first half and also in the second -- regardless of that the Cheetahs were the better side on the day.

It was an entertaining game -- a frustrating game -- and a game -- you realised couldn't and wouldn't be won by ulster very quickly.

Ulster got called for off side early in the match -- and there after the defence seemed to be based on the gain line close to the ruck -- this allowed the Cheetahs to reach the gain line at pace when going from deep and Ulster lacking a defence in depth . Late in the second half Ulster changed to a rush defence with bit more success in defence.
I am a relative newcomer and still learning Rumspeak. There is a vital point in here. ie attacking the gain line at speed, which is a skill many northern hemisphere teams especially Ulster, have abandoned. Taking the ball flat with backlines often having no angle to them at all, is all very "modern" and brave, but in Ulster's case, completely ineffective. Big lessons to be learnt.