Bath v Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Re: Bath v Ulster

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

rocky wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:43 pm Unbelievable negativity from some of you on this board right now.
Firstly, you continue to punish UR for things over which they had no control. Ryan Pienaar was kicked out by Nucifora, not by Ulster. It was Ulster, on the other hand, who signed John Cooney and he has proven to be a very good replacement for Ruan.
Jackson and Oldinng were kicked out by Dublin (and SL) but you continue to moan about this, even though the culprit here has gone. Since then, Ulster have brought through such as two Reas, Lowry, Hume, Lyttle, Moore and Balacoune, all exciting home-grown young players.
Yet you whinge about the lack of home-grown players. Well, if you can identify any other such players who are worthy of their place in the senior squad, let me know or, even better, let Bryn Cunningham know. You also forget that the academy and fringe players have been clearly improving over the last season or two.
Even though UR has gone through the dreadful disruption of season 2017-18, the performance last year was far better than anyone was forecasting - knockout stages in both league and cup. At present, we are second in our section, having lost players to the RWC and suffered a bad run of injuries in the back division.
But, having said all that, for me, the worst thing is that you call yourselves fans and supporters of Ulster. Well, my belief is that a fan is someone who turns up and actively supports their team through the bad times. Anyone can be enthusiastic when things are going well, only to disappear when the sh1t hits the fan.
Ulster Rugby, to survive, let alone be a top European side, has to balance the books. That means having the best possible players we can afford to pay. Many of our players are not Ulster born but no-one, in my opinion, can question their commitment and loyalty to the Ulster shirt. If they ever read this forum, they must be pretty angry at some of the stuff posted by so-called supporters.
You should give up on all the negative stuff and forget what is past (oh, sorry, this is Ulster - we don't forget stuff, do we?) and start to support the team again, as I know many of you did in the recent past.
Rant over, I'm off to Bath to support my team.
I think there are two separate but related things.
Apathy on the forum and apathy for supporting Ulster.
From a personal perspective I was referring to the former.
I still have my season ticket and I will see you at the Rec tomorrow.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Good man, Legs!
Bo***cks to Brexit
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Ulster team to play Bath Rugby, Heineken Champions Cup Round 1, Saturday 15 November, The Recreation Ground (1.00pm, live on Channel 4, Virgin Media & BT Sport):

(15-9) Will Addison, Rob Lyttle, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney.

(1-8) Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Sam Carter, Matthew Rea, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Eric O'Sullivan, Tom O'Toole, Alan O'Connor, Sean Reidy, David Shanahan, Angus Curtis, Louis Ludik.
Bo***cks to Brexit
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

rocky wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:43 pm Unbelievable negativity from some of you on this board right now.
Firstly, you continue to punish UR for things over which they had no control. Ryan Pienaar was kicked out by Nucifora, not by Ulster. It was Ulster, on the other hand, who signed John Cooney and he has proven to be a very good replacement for Ruan.
Jackson and Oldinng were kicked out by Dublin (and SL) but you continue to moan about this, even though the culprit here has gone. Since then, Ulster have brought through such as two Reas, Lowry, Hume, Lyttle, Moore and Balacoune, all exciting home-grown young players.
Yet you whinge about the lack of home-grown players. Well, if you can identify any other such players who are worthy of their place in the senior squad, let me know or, even better, let Bryn Cunningham know. You also forget that the academy and fringe players have been clearly improving over the last season or two.
Even though UR has gone through the dreadful disruption of season 2017-18, the performance last year was far better than anyone was forecasting - knockout stages in both league and cup. At present, we are second in our section, having lost players to the RWC and suffered a bad run of injuries in the back division.
But, having said all that, for me, the worst thing is that you call yourselves fans and supporters of Ulster. Well, my belief is that a fan is someone who turns up and actively supports their team through the bad times. Anyone can be enthusiastic when things are going well, only to disappear when the sh1t hits the fan.
Ulster Rugby, to survive, let alone be a top European side, has to balance the books. That means having the best possible players we can afford to pay. Many of our players are not Ulster born but no-one, in my opinion, can question their commitment and loyalty to the Ulster shirt. If they ever read this forum, they must be pretty angry at some of the stuff posted by so-called supporters.
You should give up on all the negative stuff and forget what is past (oh, sorry, this is Ulster - we don't forget stuff, do we?) and start to support the team again, as I know many of you did in the recent past.
Having only been on-board for 5 years or so, and being a Lionel to boot, I could never post something quite like that, but I certainly enjoyed reading it, just as I enjoyed the camaraderie In Limerick last week and the friendships I've made since the other half persuaded me to go and watch Zebre v Ulster instead of Coventry v Preston North End on 27 September 2014.

Ulster lost and Preston won of course, but life throws you those kind of curveballs now and again....

From my perspective, UR is a great asset to the Province and I'm looking forward to significantly reducing my travelling time to Ravenhill in the near future!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Anyway, Underpants is playing for them but they have a few of their WC lads still missing.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

I’d have had Reidy in ahead of Rea but other than that a strong selection. Glad to see Lyttle being rewarded for his good form this season.

Underhill is back for Bath, along with McConnachie and Joseph. Murphy will need to be on his game at the breakdown.
I think we can turn them over though. They are without Faletau and Louw, they still have a very strong back row but those two along with Underhill are top class.
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

Strong side. Bath have been guff this year. Four points I think for the men in white.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I'm sure we can expect to see Walter at the game tomorrow....!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

LegsLikeSausages wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:19 pm I’d have had Reidy in ahead of Rea but other than that a strong selection. Glad to see Lyttle being rewarded for his good form this season.

Underhill is back for Bath, along with McConnachie and Joseph. Murphy will need to be on his game at the breakdown.
I think we can turn them over though. They are without Faletau and Louw, they still have a very strong back row but those two along with Underhill are top class.
There's an argument that Reidy and Jordi are a bit too similar.

Rea offers more in the lineout and the promise of a rangy carry or two.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

>appl
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

justinr73 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:32 pm
LegsLikeSausages wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:19 pm I’d have had Reidy in ahead of Rea but other than that a strong selection. Glad to see Lyttle being rewarded for his good form this season.

There's an argument that Reidy and Jordi are a bit too similar.

Rea offers more in the lineout and the promise of a rangy carry or two.
I get that. He tackles like a Trojan though.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Reidy I mean.
Defensive work rate is amazing.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Rocky I've a genuine belief that the majority of Ulster fans share your view point certainly persons in my company at games and the season ticket holders around us. What there appears to be is what I call the 80 / 20 principle (comes from Pareto analysis in business - no real relation after that). 80% of Ulster supporters would share your view point whereas 20% do not. However its the 20% who do not share your viewpoint that seem to make 80% of the noise.

Great post, have a pint on yourself in Bath :stout:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Agree with that, though I will continue to be negative about Ulster's inability to identify a half decent local scrumhalf even if they hit them in the face.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

LegsLikeSausages wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:53 pm Reidy I mean.
Defensive work rate is amazing.
It is indeed and he should make a big impact off the bench - it looks like we've got quite a bit of energy there to bring on.

I don't know too much about Bath's replacements but it looks like a good opportunity to hit the Heineken Cup running.