Bath v Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Bath v Ulster

Post by justinr73 »

We'd obviously been lulling Bath into a false sense of security regarding our line-out.

For about the last three years.....!

Do we need Addison in the side at 13 or 15 though?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:20 pm We'd obviously been lulling Bath into a false sense of security regarding our line-out.

For about the last three years.....!

Do we need Addison in the side at 13 or 15 though?
I would expect Addison to be better this week (assuming he isn't injured of course).
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

damianmcr wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:39 pm D4 talking tom kite.
Worse than that damian,it's partronising kite from Dribbling4; he can't help it.Second nature. >EW
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:20 pm Do we need Addison in the side at 13 or 15 though?
Personally I think he's best as a fifteen. Ludik is much more solid option, but think we need the creativity Addison offers, the equation would probably be different if we had a different balance in mid-field (a Paddy Wallace/Stuart Olding type instead of McCloskey). The second half of the Bath game is also the only time I've consciously worried about Addison defensively under the high ball, hopefully as mentioned above, it was a bit of a blip.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

I suppose it is a question of choosing two out of three to start on Friday night between Addison, Marshall and Ludik.
It would seem that Marshall is playing well at 13, and whilst Addison could play 13 his inclusion at 15 does add the X factor.
However Ludik solidarity at fullback is very attractive against Clermont but then his versatility is an attraction for the bench but Addison has the versatility too. PersonallyI don’t envy Dan McFarland the task of deciding.
I have been impressed by young Curtis over the last three weeks, in which he has produce a solid constant performance under pressure situations especially in Thomond and Bath.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Aird wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:19 pm I suppose it is a question of choosing two out of three to start on Friday night between Addison, Marshall and Ludik.
It would seem that Marshall is playing well at 13, and whilst Addison could play 13 his inclusion at 15 does add the X factor.
However Ludik solidarity at fullback is very attractive against Clermont but then his versatility is an attraction for the bench but Addison has the versatility too. PersonallyI don’t envy Dan McFarland the task of deciding.
I have been impressed by young Curtis over the last three weeks, in which he has produce a solid constant performance under pressure situations especially in Thomond and Bath.
A nice problem to have all the same.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

solidarity wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:51 pm
Aird wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:19 pm I suppose it is a question of choosing two out of three to start on Friday night between Addison, Marshall and Ludik.
A nice problem to have all the same.
Gilroy, Baloucoune and Faddes might have something to say about that.

Is Addison undropable? We bemoan coaches that pick on reputation rather than recent form. Much will come down to Lyttles fitness, unsure why Ludik replaced him / outcome?

If the coaching team genuinely want to create competition for places I'd start Ludik at 15 and bring Gilroy onto the bench.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I agree that selection is tricky on the rare occasions that injuries do not dictate matters.

Lyttle was doing hamstring stretches at one point.

As Merv alludes to, Addison needs games to play himself into form. Leaving him out would be counter-productive.

You know what you’re gonna get with Luke. Solid defending, one good line bust per match and the odd Barnes Wallis but I hope Addison gets some game time at 13 this season.

If Lyttle is injured, the easiest thing to do would be to play Louis on the wing. Stu, Luke and Louis played together the last time we beat them. Sadly our tough guy lock pairing that day cannot be repeated. Robbie D and 2MP lest we forget.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

With lyttle being reported as out i think ludik comes straight in as a replacement. Faddes or Gilroy onto the bench. Need another big 70 mins from EOS and 60 from Moore. Be tempted to start treadwell if fit and leave the strangler (living up to this) on the bench again.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Me too.

Not sure some of the travelling support at Bath are gonna be fully fit by Friday.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I my opinion Little was outside his comfort zone when defending and i doubt if he had been faced with last attack he would have defended the situation as successfully as Stockdale did; the unfortunate thing about Ludic is he has no sense of self-preservation and as a result frequently fails to finish a game .

Ulster are to a degree blessed with a number of wing options but are lacking experience at full back with Stockdale being starved of service on the wing and not the best chaser of box kicks i would be strongly tempted to play him at full back on the expectation that any ball being directed at full back is frequently to long for a successful chaser to put the full back under pressure.

Yes Addison was under pressure but I would put that down to two factors -- he was lying deep on a heavy pitch which meant his timing to ball was frequently wrong against two large centres who were timing their runs not to challenge for the ball but to tackle the approaching full back as he came to ground which meant Addison had one eye on the ball and one eye on the tackler.

My backline Cooney Burns McCloskey Addison back three Ludic, Baloucoune, and Stockdale with Marshall on the bench.
Baloucoune impressed me last year as a finisher and is possibly a better option in defence than Gilroy.

The selection provides the opportunity for a number of positional switches such as Ludic or Addison to full back and Marshall for McCloskey or Addison in the centre.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

If you're talking about the next game, then throwing Bobby B in against one of the best sides in Europe when he hasn't touched the ball all season is a brave call.

I suspect he's more likely to feature against the weakened Scarlets the week after.
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Bobby B is a few games off starting yet. Out for that long and one AIL game behind him? No Chance this week
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My selection is based on the fact if he was considered fit enough to bench last week he is fit enough to start this week .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

As said earlier this a difficult selection decision, with a number of options all of which you could put forward a reasonable argument for.
It is just great that we have these options available to us unlike in the not too distant past where we went away to France with a back line full of scrum half's but still managed to secure a try bonus point.
In the pack I would favour Treadwell and Henderson with O’Connor on the bench and might well have favoured that starting line up last week too.
Noticed Faddes not really featuring in many fans possible line ups.