Bath v Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Re: Bath v Ulster

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Also thought we got away with being offside a lot yesterday, not sure if we had great timing but certainly that was the way it looked. Kicking duties I would take away from Cooney when we have better options on the pitch, could have cost us.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Conney doesn't seem to dwell on the odd bad miss which is a plus.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:19 am Also thought we got away with being offside a lot yesterday, not sure if we had great timing but certainly that was the way it looked. Kicking duties I would take away from Cooney when we have better options on the pitch, could have cost us.
21 out of 23 in the Pro 14.

It’s not too shabby, is it?

The conversion from out wide won the game yesterday.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:50 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:19 am Also thought we got away with being offside a lot yesterday, not sure if we had great timing but certainly that was the way it looked. Kicking duties I would take away from Cooney when we have better options on the pitch, could have cost us.
21 out of 23 in the Pro 14.

It’s not too shabby, is it?

The conversion from out wide won the game yesterday.
Pressure doesn't seem to phase him.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He seems to thrive on it Merv.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Cooney is normally a safe pair of hands with the boot >EW . Everyone fluffs one occasiinally. . Wonder did his left foot slip a little on the soggy ground?
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

That was a super win for Ulster.
Any win away to a top English or French team is always going to be a big deal for a Pro 14 side.
John Cooney seems to alternate between hero and villain but the balance sheet came out the right side for him.
It means nothing if you don't beat Clermont next.

To complete it, Connacht made it a clean sweep for the four provinces beating Montpellier in Galway this afternoon. Not bad at all for a team of journeymen. >clapping
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Hero and villan? Strange comment. Hard to think of many villan incidents.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Villain? Haven't seen many negative comments about him at all, apart from the odd wee gurn, but we are Ulster, that's what we do. Nope, he's a hero up here.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

D4 talking tom kite.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

The Barnes Wallis pass is the key to future world domination.
Start out backwards from the arm movement and then bounce forwards.
Couldn't beat it
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Certainly wouldn't take the shots at goal from Cooney, but he was also kicking to touch from penalties, which he could of been relieved from to take the pressure off him a little.

Thought Nordi Murphy had a very underrated game yesterday by the press. Marcel got the highlights reel spinning but the dog and workrate from Murphy was incredible.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The ‘unseen work’ thing is a bit of a cliche but it often seems genuinely difficult to spot what Nordi is up to, particularly when watching the game in person.

I recall him taking a line out cleanly in the latter stages yesterday but not a great deal more.

Perhaps if he dyed his hair blonde or something? Luke may even have noticed him then and we’d have won more convincingly.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

good away performance. Defensive system seems to have come on nicely since last year, we're looking well connected and physical, that said the defence for their try was terrible, dreadful tackle attempt by Addison and Lyttle didn't work anywhere near hard enough to cover back. Also the last play wasn't great, unconvincing rush from both Marshall and Stockdale, admittedly great recovery by Stockdale to save the day (and let's not mention Cooney's no arms shoulder charge on Mercer which I only noticed on about the 4th viewing :D for some reason wasn't picked up at all in commentary or by touchjudge)

Other poor things - nearly wasting Marcell's amazing steal at the death by a squint throw at the lineout :duh: as if we were trying to throw the game.. And living too much without the ball, that's ok on a heavy pitch against a side struggling for rhythm, but as McFarland said if we give Clermont that much posession they'll kill us! Strange that we just don't seem to be able to own the ball for sustained 10-15-20 mins at a time and build real pressure on teams - even against the weaker sides we've beaten already this year.

Still good performance and great result - a win against Clermont, and I think ideally if Bath win away to Quins, that would really put Quins on the back foot, and hopefully increase our chances of going back to back in Dec..
..one more thing
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

One of the big takeaways from this match for me is how well our line-out functioned. It's been a bit of a problem for us so far this year, but other than the last (not straight) line out our own ball was good and we also got a few few turnovers on theirs. Time shall tell how much of that is down to us being good or them bad. If that keeps up along with our defence and the grit shown I think we have the makings of a decent enough side.

The two things that worry me are indiscipline (too many silly penalties) and the lack of creativity shown in attack, both of which have been constants through the season. I don't feel like we've offered much with the ball in hand all season, even in our bonus point win over the Ospreys it struck me that the only threat we looked to have was the cross-field kick. For that reason i almost think we need Addison in the side; without him we'd look even more one dimensional.