Ulster v Clermont

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster v Clermont

Post by big mervyn »

Bart S wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:21 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:09 pm Bath could yet do us some favours.
Indeed. They are at home first to Clermont in the double header. Could do with Bath winning at Quins today and taking 4pts
Ulster may do better in Engerland than this Clermont team.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Considering where we were at the start of last season I'm really happy with that game. The work rate and intensity shown across the board was incredible. There's a lot of talk about how bad Clermont were, but from what i was watching a lot of their mistakes were due to the pressure they were being put under. They've a lot of big players and not one of them was given an inch of room.

I understand that the game can also be viewed as a missed opportunity. The scoreline wasn't really a fair reflection of the Ulster dominance and with a bit more accuracy we could have put them to the sword. That's all true, but i don't think we're the finished article yet. Our accuracy in attack is the weakest aspect of our game, but it is improving and the foundations on which it is being built look incredibly solid.

Also thought that it was one of the best nights at Ravenhill in ages.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It was good in the bar afterwards.

The Clermont fans are great value.

I liked the song by the guy with the blue and yellow moustache performed whilst he was riding the fellow with the bushy beard.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Moore is easily our most important player now
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Am I being too hard on McCluskey to say that he's not up to it? Too many dropped passes and a couple of other mistakes. Did he do a lot of good stuff that I didn't see?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

solidarity wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:21 pm Am I being too hard on McCluskey to say that he's not up to it? Too many dropped passes and a couple of other mistakes. Did he do a lot of good stuff that I didn't see?
He certainly has his strengths and weaknesses. You have to consider the role he is being asked to play, which is primarily as a bosh merchant, taking ball at pace with a lot of high impact collisions, chances are he will have more errors. He had at least two line breaks last night from memory.

What I would like Ulster to explore is giving young Curtis a few starts at inside centre giving you another playmaker option besides your out half. Owen Farrell played the 2nd playmaker role for England and previously the Lions to great effect, Giteau was outstanding oustide Wilkinson in a similar role.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

It's a real shame Hume injured himself when he did as surely he'd be pushing McCloskey right now.
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

Big stu did not play well. The dropped ball with two men outside him in their 22 was a lowlight. He previously had a habit of playing shight when Joe came to watch. Must have spotted Faz snr in the crowd and pooped his bum. I don't think Billy has great hands, good feet though, not that I have a fetish mind. Stu is often reaching for a pass or checking his run. He is on the back of a very good season last year, so I would give him time to warm up.

I was always a wee Stu man meself. Give me skill over bosh anyday.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

solidarity wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:21 pm Am I being too hard on McCluskey to say that he's not up to it? Too many dropped passes and a couple of other mistakes. Did he do a lot of good stuff that I didn't see?
He made a couple of bad knock-ons last night, but the conditions were horrendous and to be fair to him i also feel they were fairly uncharacteristic. I think he's a fairly similar player to Jamie Roberts in his pomp, he'll reliably make you a few a couple of meters with a carry and is a brick wall in defence. It'd be nice to have a good playmaking 12 in the squad to give us options, but along with Hendy and Coetzee i think he's one of our most important carriers and important for the teams ballance. If we'd another destructive runner or two in the pack that equation might change and that might be why he doesn't get much of a look in for Ireland.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Mccloskey is one of the very few starters from last night whom I would start against Scarlets on Friday. I think he needs the gametime.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Moore, EOS, Hendy, Marcell and Jordi from the pack should not be in the 23 on Fridsy.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Sounds like Quins were solid and disciplined against Bath.

Warwick and Kane will be involved against Scarlets presumably. Al’s brother to be in the squad?
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:24 pm Considering where we were at the start of last season I'm really happy with that game. The work rate and intensity shown across the board was incredible. There's a lot of talk about how bad Clermont were, but from what i was watching a lot of their mistakes were due to the pressure they were being put under. They've a lot of big players and not one of them was given an inch of room.

I understand that the game can also be viewed as a missed opportunity. The scoreline wasn't really a fair reflection of the Ulster dominance and with a bit more accuracy we could have put them to the sword. That's all true, but i don't think we're the finished article yet. Our accuracy in attack is the weakest aspect of our game, but it is improving and the foundations on which it is being built look incredibly solid.

Also thought that it was one of the best nights at Ravenhill in ages.
Imo our line speed and intensity in defence made them look poor. It was maintained over the 80 minutes too which was very impressive. The other thing that stood out for me was the intensity of our ball carrying. We appear to have rediscovered the art of taking the ball at pace. Marcell was a beast at this but there were many others too. The clearing out has also improved markedly so that we have quicker ball and were always getting over the gain line.

If you look at Munster's game against Racing they weren't getting their forwards over the gain line and nor was their intensity in line speed as good and as such they struggled against Racing. Their result puts ours in context. Although it should have been more comfortable any win against one of the biggest teams in France should be celebrated.

Our pack looks much more gnarly than anything we have had for years. The only problem position is prop where the injuries to McGrath and Milowhatshisname mean we really lack depth.

Two wins against Hairyquins and we are well on our way.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Indeed. Forwards seem to be more aggressive this season and defence recently has been excellent and well organised. Well done Jared
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

If only we could start stringing a few phases together we might actually be a reasonable outfit.