Ulster v Clermont

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Ulster v Clermont

Post by solidarity »

HammerTime wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:12 pm If only we could start stringing a few phases together we might actually be a reasonable outfit.
Absolutely right, cut out the silly mistakes, string a few phases, and we might have a decent season. Having said that, as a team we need to better than the sum of the parts if we are to be anything more than the best of the rest.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

There is more to winning than stringing phases together -- its getting into the 22 and hitting the gain line at speed with purpose and with some ideas more than just "Lift and Charge."

Ulster's problem against Clermont was the breaks were made too far from the try line and defenders without the ball being faster than the ball carrier, ( lacking support and ) became target No1-- thus the attack failed short of the line.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Will Addison cited for his tackle on Jedrasiak
10 or 15 only
Initiate

Post by 10 or 15 only »

Bit surprised at that. I did not see to much in that at the time. It must have been a big collision as their lock had to leave the field.
Was it high, no arms or a shoulder?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Or all of the above?!
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

My memory of it is that it wasn’t high and that the injury was caused by an accidental clash of heads due to the strength of the impact. I don’t think a shoulder was involved. The issue may be whether Addison wrapped his arms sufficiently or not. It looked ok at the time, and obviously the ref and TMO were ok with it.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I wasn't sure about the arms from my vantage point on the East Terrace, but I have received assurances from Waterboy that it looked fine on the tele.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

If not mistaken Ferris called it at the time and from memory he was very surprised at no card being shown..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

4 week ban for Addison.

"Addison had made reckless contact with Jedrasiak’s head in attempting the tackle, and as dangerous tackles of this nature carry a mandatory mid-range sanction according to World Rugby’s regulations, six weeks was selected as the appropriate entry point."
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Surprised by that. Probably not helped by SF’s repeated comments on BT Sport commentary.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

4 weeks extremely harsh -- because if Addison had put his head down instead of up there is strong chance he could have broken his neck.

Looked at the replay available on the 42 comments page . Addison's tackle is actual a beautiful example of how not to tackle . He forgot the one golden rule of tackling --- never never have your head in front of the ball carriers body the head should always be to the side or behind the ball carrier.

Sometimes it may unavoidable to have the head in front of the on coming player--if the ball carrier changes course and turns in to the tackler.

Thus given that his heads position was actually an act of self preservation 4 weeks is extremely harsh.

PS I actually looked at the sequence a number of times to verify that the ball carrier didn't drop the shoulder and turn into the tackle to break the tackle-- ie attempt to put his shoulder into Addison's face .

It is hard to decide if or if not when view in slow motion.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
10 or 15 only
Initiate

Post by 10 or 15 only »

Any word of an appeal?
Really do appeals get turned over and who decides exactly.
Do the EPCR have to appoint another independent panel?
And do failed appeals normally add to the length of the ban and should they?