Ulster v Scarlets Fri Nov 29 7:35pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Scarlets Fri Nov 29 7:35pm

Post by fermain »

:duh: :lol:
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

In a sense, they both missed it.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Classic game of two halves. All over them in the first half then both sides cancelled each other out in the secnd. Contrary to others, I thought Faddes had a decent game. He's not afraid to get stuck inat the breakdown. Great to see young Robbie B get MOTM. His knee was heavily strapped in the second half. Just a precaution I assume after he took a knock in the first.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

NorthernStar wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:09 pm Ulster on 🔥 🔥🔥
Someone must have knocked their Powerade over the 🔥 at half time...

Impressive and ambitious first half, albeit against a considerably weakened scarlets, but faded away second half - happens quite often for my liking and they’ll get punished someday when it matters.

BJ at 10 decent (not a throwback pun to a certain house in south Belfast....), Baloucoune good return, O’Connor good in the second row.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

solidarity wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:40 pm Classic game of two halves. All over them in the first half then both sides cancelled each other out in the secnd. Contrary to others, I thought Faddes had a decent game. He's not afraid to get stuck inat the breakdown. Great to see young Robbie B get MOTM. His knee was heavily strapped in the second half. Just a precaution I assume after he took a knock in the first.
Agree I will go with you on Faddes doing alright, he has played with his leg heavily strapped both against Munster and tonight, unsure if it was strapped previously, he's carrying a niggle. He''ll need time to bed in. 4 tries in 6 starts is a good return for anyone not starting on the wing.

His play comes across as eager to please and a little nervous, once he finds his rhythm and comfort zone he'll be okay.

He's here to add depth and versatility to our squad in my view, increase competition for places.

Is there an expectation from others that he was coming as a nailed on starter?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Bonus point win. The home win run continues. Henderson Murphy Marshall burns rested. Hopefully no injuries. Ludik gametime at 15. Gametime for mcburney jonston Balacoune Curtis rea & treadwell.
Way beyond the game what I’m loving is now this new establishment of “culture” by McF. Loved the fact Marshall mentioned Johnstone was asked what provinces thought of UR in a team meeting, & how he said there was a perception of mental softness - and he was right. Re establishment of fortress Ravenhill, backing academy players with exposure, a clear reputation of UR as a place for ambitious players to go, striving for technical excellence with the forwards..... No doubt about it, we are building.
On the run up to Xmas, I’d just hope we really start to get the full attendances & back the players....no doubt about it, oppo players feel it. 5/6 is possible in Europe if we have injury luck.

As an aside mike brown out for season, I don’t wish injury to players but that is a Brucey bonus.

Opportunity next weekend to effectively end quins involvement.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Two kicks early in the second half going dead provide the Scarlets with possession in the Ulster half and like most welsh teams they didn't give up possession easily thus Ulster were with out possession in the Scarlets half for most of the second half.

Ulster picked a side to get the bonus point win -- job done but not as easily in the second half.

Thought Gilroy's card was a bit OTT -- he attempted to tackle high -- and failed to actually make the contact stick -- more like a boxer trying to punch someones face only to brush their nose. Penalty certainly !! Card ?? not in my book.

There were a few upper body holds held longer with not a whistle .

The referee wasn't as bad as feared but too lax on the scarlets lying off side midfield forcing Ulster to kick rather than opt for the McCLoskey gain line burst and recycle .

It was a game that promised entertainment only to be cancelled due to mid field inertia and lack of ideas other than kick
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Nobody in the whole ground wanted the second half to happen.

Game over. Freezing. Save the lads for next week.

Job done.

Next.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:32 am Nobody in the whole ground wanted the second half to happen.

Game over. Freezing. Save the lads for next week.

Job done.

Next.
Would have to agree with that. Everytime Marty Moore had an involvement in the game I was watching through my fingers over my eyes as I didn't think he was going to get up. Hes key now.

Appreciate probably left on to keep his match fitness levels.

I like O'Toole, fantastic around the park, fits this new age tight head prop athletic build for mobility, hes still a season or two behind where he needs to be at set piece scrum time. Hes still very young, I've every confidence he'll get there.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Same here!
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Needed a bonus point win and the team knew it. Achieved their target with some style within the first half hour and then sat back to admire their handiwork. Personally I was surprised they did not pull players off at halftime to save them for later campaigns. Second half was a grim experience to sit through.
Thought from what i saw on the big screen that their try certainly merited a second look from the officials. It was only then, with many fan’s voting with their frozen feet that Ulster scored their final score.
Good result in terms of league points, but thought this was an opportunity when we could have improved our for and against points.
I surprisingly found myself pitying the Scarlets who were roundly shafted by the WRU decision to play the BaBa’s match on a Pro14 weekend. Doesn’t show much support for the league but I expect5hem to be first in line for any CVC windfall,and we thought the IRFU had faults.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Whatever the situation is with the Ire national team making the bulk of revenue in the Irish game - then it’s even more extreme in Wales. No club prize money, empty stadiums. The WC deprived wales of much needed Nov Int revenue - this was a financial necessity.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Dharper wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:55 pm Whatever the situation is with the Ire national team making the bulk of revenue in the Irish game - then it’s even more extreme in Wales. No club prize money, empty stadiums. The WC deprived wales of much needed Nov Int revenue - this was a financial necessity.
But rugby is the "Welsh national game" :roll:

All the wee men from the vaaleeees are so busy playing for Ponty etc they can't go and support some fancy "regions". :scratch:
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The game is against the Babaas and could have had one of three approaches

The an opportunity to run out the WC squad for the last time or a chance to experiment with a whole new team or lastly a thank you to a bunch of senior players over 30's who seldom got a look-in at International level picked equally from the four welsh sides thus giving those sides a chance to field competitive teams while looking a few younger players needed to replace the grey beards.

they seem to have opted for the first which is a bit of a waste given the coach has gone and the team is his and yesterday.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »