Ulster Vs Harlequins Sat 7th Dec @ 15.15 BT Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Vs Harlequins Sat 7th Dec @ 15.15 BT Sport

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dharper wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:09 pm
Only real concern for me was the scrum, options pretty thin for this weekend. EOS did the full 80, does DMcF trust TOT for more than a 15 min cameo? Is Kane a better option re scrum time? On basis MM must be a bit battered?
Good point. Though on the flip side Sinclair stayed on for 67 minutes, with Elia and Marler playing 78 minutes. Their front row clocked considerable miles also.

Coetzee going off after 60 minutes...... tactical or injury?

I would return to a back three of 11 Stockdale 14 Bobby B 15 Ludik
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Marcel took longer than normal to get up shortly before he went off - he may have been fiddling around with his boot. Or his ankle...

We're obviously hoping to squeeze one more performance out of our key players before we send some lambs to the slaughter at the RDS.

Quins have Wasps away which they would love to win, no doubt.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

rocky wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:16 am
solidarity wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:26 pm Just watched the match again.
Three wee points of interest.
Their first try, Marler clearly in from the wrong side at the ruck before the try.
Marler at 47:3 holding Herring's foot while on the ground.
Fair play on the third try, Dombrandt was onside or as near as makes no difference.
Fair play - NOT!!!
Watch at 59:35 (score 15 - 17) - after their No 8 breaks from their line, there are a couple of offloads and then there is a ruck. The No 8 comes right round the ruck and takes Cooney to the ground with a forearm smash to his head - a very clear red card offence. Missed by all the officials and the TMO. Mind you, given everything else they missed, it's not a terrible surprise. Still, it should have been no try and them down to 14 men for the rest of the match.
In addition, Robshaw took out Cooney at the back of rucks at least three times and they got away with several high tackles and persistent offsides at rucks - the officials reffed this for about the first ten minutes and then forgot about it.
All in all, I thought we did very well to win against a very cynical team and an incompetent bunch of officials.
Point taken, Rocky. I was just thinking about the offside. Cooney did seem to be taken out a few times. As Rumn points out, playing the man and not the ball is very much part of the modern game especially at rucks. If a player has his hand on the ruck is he 'technically' part of the ruck? If so, refereeing in a way that accepts him being taken out like this is legalistic folly and allows scrum halves to be taken out almost at will.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Cooney was at the back of the ruck the only way to take him out was to come from the side whether he was touching the ruck or not.

Regarding the scrums o'S was going to ground because his opposite number had his shoulders lower than his bum when forming the scrum which is of course a free kick offence .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:29 pm Marcel took longer than normal to get up shortly before he went off - he may have been fiddling around with his boot. Or his ankle...

We're obviously hoping to squeeze one more performance out of our key players before we send some lambs to the slaughter at the RDS.

He was putting his boot on again.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Anywhere to view the return match on TV apart from BT
Tighthead Prod
Novice

Post by Tighthead Prod »

GLENN CORNICK wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:55 pm
pip14 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:53 pm🤣
Neil Patterson is from N Ireland but he left in the mid or late 80s and is an official of the SRU. He is a dentist in Edinburgh.

So he's qualified, just like all the officials by Union, not by place of birth.

Unless quims4life is suggesting Patterson is a corrupt official?

Marius Mitrea was born in Romania and has Italian citizenship; so he could end up reffing an England v Romania game if one was proposed.

JP Doyle from Dublin. Doyle started his refereeing career with the Association of Referees Leinster Branch of the IRFU is now reffing out of the English RFU so he could ref Leinster v any none English side; potentially dodgy eh? Better warn the Scots, French, Welsh and the other Irish provinces :lol:
The Northern Ireland born official to whom Quins4life may be refering is likely to be Keith Allen who was a 'linesman' on Saturday. I understand he left NI study in Scotland about 10-15 years ago and is now a doctor. He has been refereeing for SRU for some years now.
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

thecrouch wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:29 pm
justinr73 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:29 pm Marcel took longer than normal to get up shortly before he went off - he may have been fiddling around with his boot. Or his ankle...

He was putting his boot on again.
Not in a position to check but I think at the end of the match Marcel had strapping on his ankle/foot on the outside of his boot.
Tighthead Prod
Novice

Post by Tighthead Prod »

solidarity wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:26 pm Just watched the match again.
Three wee points of interest.
Their first try, Marler clearly in from the wrong side at the ruck before the try.
Marler at 47:3 holding Herring's foot while on the ground.
Fair play on the third try, Dombrandt was onside or as near as makes no difference.
Marler was holding Ulster players illegally at the rucks all day long ...maybe Ulster players were also ''at their work'' in this regard but I never noticed.
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Marcel had his ankle heavliy strapped at the end but i would be hopeful he will be for for friday. Sinclair looked to be hobbling at the end also but he tends to waddle anyway. Would be nice if he was out as refs tend to favour the better known scrummagers in tight calls. Believe ulster csn be a lot better, but need to be more clinical. Would swop Bobbie B in for Gilroy if fit. To me he is the future and gilly hasnt really shown much this year yet.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Gilroy looks like he needs some game time - he’s been out for a long while and a Euro game comeback, with a misfiring backline isn’t probably the easiest way back. I’d get RB on at 14 ideally - he has the pace to deal with itoye. LL for me at 15, JS on the left.

I think we can play better, I’m not so sure quins can do much more. Interesting to see what they decide to do re selection. They have 5 points, can’t see them getting a result against a focused clermont, they look short of a best runner up spot. That said it’s a home game for them & they’ll prob fancy turning us over. As mentioned quins v wasps week after this game is a big game - someone big is going down as sarries claw everyone in.

( As an aside sarries potentially could be a best runner up, & have the potential to win away qf & SF. They could make the final, win it then qualify for next yr despite finishing prob 5/6 in the league - I would’nt rule them out.)

If we can lock the scrum, I fancy us for a win. I’m very interested to see how EOS goes again-see how quick he learns. MM is worth his weight in gold to this side.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dharper wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:37 pm Gilroy looks like he needs some game time - he’s been out for a long while and a Euro game comeback, with a misfiring backline isn’t probably the easiest way back. I’d get RB on at 14 ideally - he has the pace to deal with itoye. LL for me at 15, JS on the left.

I think we can play better, I’m not so sure quins can do much more. Interesting to see what they decide to do re selection. They have 5 points, can’t see them getting a result against a focused clermont, they look short of a best runner up spot. That said it’s a home game for them & they’ll prob fancy turning us over. As mentioned quins v wasps week after this game is a big game - someone big is going down as sarries claw everyone in.

( As an aside sarries potentially could be a best runner up, & have the potential to win away qf & SF. They could make the final, win it then qualify for next yr despite finishing prob 5/6 in the league - I would’nt rule them out.)

If we can lock the scrum, I fancy us for a win. I’m very interested to see how EOS goes again-see how quick he learns. MM is worth his weight in gold to this side.
In hindsight could the fact EO'S went the full 80 minutes be an indication we are confident Jack McGrath will be good to go next weekend? Therefore the reasoning why we didn't feel the need to take EO'S off?

Fingers crossed.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

That would be great, but I thought he was about a month away. I suspect it was more a question of a last throw of the dice by DMcF on EOS workrate in the loose over Warwick. Had we lost that game, it would’ve been a body blow. I don’t want to be a position where we require anything away at Clermont. Bath at home could be a 5pointer. Bath have Leic at home the following week. They’ll want to keep wasps & Leic below them in the league. I’d expect a weakened team. That said the only thing that counts is the fast turnaround on Friday.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Dharper wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:37 pm Gilroy looks like he needs some game time - he’s been out for a long while and a Euro game comeback, with a misfiring backline isn’t probably the easiest way back. I’d get RB on at 14 ideally - he has the pace to deal with itoye. LL for me at 15, JS on the left.
To be honest, I think Gilroy is a beaten docket at this point. Pace is gone and you can read the jinks in last weeks Beano.

Our best wings in pecking order are probably
1. Stockdale
2. Balacoune
3. Ludik
4. Faddes
5. Lyttle
6. Gilroy

On Saturday, Faddes did more in 5 mins than Gilroy did in 75. I hope that mistake is not repeated.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Dharper wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:37 pmMM is worth his weight in gold to this side.

If only we had been able to (tried to?) persuade him to come here instead of wasting his time at Wasps.