Belfast Tele poll

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Belfast Tele poll

Post by big mervyn »

Jackie Brown wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:13 am I'm surprised Burns and Humphreys are so close. I'd give my right arm for an outhalf of Humphreys quality right now.
I gey the impression that many of those voting haven't seen any rugby before 2018.

I see the Bellylaff saw fit to mentipn the trial in Paddy's wee blurb. Shower of cnuts.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I think the hardest selections are in the centre

Marshall, McCloskey, Olding, Cave and Payne ( Paddy Wallace unfortunately lacks the defensive quality to qualify)

Full back Terblanche and Payne are neck and neck

Wings Trimble Bowe and Stockadale are the front runners by a mile
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Just voted again. I think that's 4 now. Jaysus, I feel like a slum landlord in Derry c. 1968!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Perhaps cynical, but almost wonder if the BT have cooked up this contest knowing they'll have a chance to write another indignant click-bait hatchet job after it. Something like 'in spire of the rape trial, Ulster rugby supporters still overwhelmingly picked Paddy in their team of the decade', get the BFN in to comment on what they make of it.

In some ways it's a nice idea, but there are only a couple of positions that have any sort of legitimate contest and would rather not feed the troll.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Jackie Brown wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:13 am I'm surprised Burns and Humphreys are so close. I'd give my right arm for an outhalf of Humphreys quality right now.
Sorry nope. At least wee Billy isn't chicken.

I'll never forget iHumph literally waving a Cardiff player through while signalling for a knock-on (that wasn't) instead of trying to make the (straightforward) tackle.
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:47 am
I gey the impression that many of those voting haven't seen any rugby before 2018.

I see the Bellylaff saw fit to mentipn the trial in Paddy's wee blurb. Shower of cnuts.
Remember Merv,the same buckos who'd have Paddy and Olding cast into the pit for all eternity are often the same ones who'd reinstate Shamima Begum and Jihadi Jack, and preach that everyone should have a second chance.
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

MightyRearranger wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:04 pm Perhaps cynical, but almost wonder if the BT have cooked up this contest knowing they'll have a chance to write another indignant click-bait hatchet job after it. Something like 'in spire of the rape trial, Ulster rugby supporters still overwhelmingly picked Paddy in their team of the decade', get the BFN in to comment on what they make of it.

In some ways it's a nice idea, but there are only a couple of positions that have any sort of legitimate contest and would rather not feed the troll.
Let them write it. I'm more excited about the message it sends to PJ himself. The overwhelming majority of fans back him. The odd troll bleats on about feelings and gossip but cannot identify any facts to support their views.

If Olding is one of the 12s, he should be, vote like feck for him.

FIRFU
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Had a soft spot for IH - good kicker, good hands, and speed/break like brad pitt off a shovel. Dodgy defence & blew hot & cold - but when he was on form he was a very dangerous player & we were always there abouts in try bonus point land.

PJ deservedly by an absolute mile. He’ll hopefully have a long & happy LI career. Would’ve been on 40 Irish caps by now, & no debate over sextons heir. Dreadful waste.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... 99601.html

Team pretty much as expected. Stu Olding wasn’t offered up and surprised the bellendgraph had Jihad at 15.

BUT, and seriously BUT, I know he’s an amazing prospect for the decade ahead but how da fack did Court get pipped by O’Sullivan. Only blot on the team sheet.

Hope it raises a smile for Paddy. Well done lad.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Imagine a back row of 6.Ferris 7.Henry 8.Coetzee all in their pomp. I'll have to cut myself out of my boxers!
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Hawkeye
Novice

Post by Hawkeye »

TopPoster wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:35 pm https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... 99601.html

Team pretty much as expected. Stu Olding wasn’t offered up and surprised the bellendgraph had Jihad at 15.

BUT, and seriously BUT, I know he’s an amazing prospect for the decade ahead but how da fack did Court get pipped by O’Sullivan. Only blot on the team sheet.

Did anyone else notice they had Paddy at 9 and Ruan at 10 :duh: Deliberate!?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Hawkeye wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:46 pm
TopPoster wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:35 pm https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... 99601.html

Did anyone else notice they had Paddy at 9 and Ruan at 10 :duh: Deliberate!?
Nice to see Paddy right at the top of the percentages. Definitely slightly skewed to the Newbies but that's invariably the case with these things.
Big Neville Southall
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:21 pm Imagine a back row of 6.Ferris 7.Henry 8.Coetzee all in their pomp. I'll have to cut myself out of my boxers!
Don’t go there shipmate. Could you imagine a Court, Best, Afoa, Muller , Hendo, Ferris, Henry, Coetzee pack!!!! Shyte the bed.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:28 pm I think the hardest selections are in the centre

Marshall, McCloskey, Olding, Cave and Payne ( Paddy Wallace unfortunately lacks the defensive quality to qualify)

Full back Terblanche and Payne are neck and neck

Wings Trimble Bowe and Stockadale are the front runners by a mile
No !!!!! Towards the end of his career Paddy Wallace was a defensive rock. Don't give a brad pitt about his size. Paddy was the best all-round 12 to play for Ulster in the professional era. We have not had a footballer of his quality since he retired.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Paddy's bravery was never in doubt but the fact is his size provided every team with a target to achieve gain line success -- he was perceived as a defensive weak link and the source of a quick recycle.

Paddy was also one of those players who appeared to have the skill set to play across a backline but lack an essential skill in each position to master one position .

Full back -- unsure under a high ball
Out-half -- lacked the ability to out distance the opposition when trying to kick out of his own half thus the forwards were playing without the ball inside their own half for most of the game.
Centre -- lacked the size to be a successful defender .
Wing -- the abilities he possessed would have been wasted on the wing

He was a player who had nearly everything but unfortunately an Achilles heel.

It's not necessarily that other players are or were better than Paddy -- its that their weaknesses are less obvious.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist