Christmas Targets pre Euro fixtures

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Christmas Targets pre Euro fixtures

Post by Dharper »

What do people think is acceptable targets over the seasonal period prior to another push in europe?

My take: must win at home v Connacht. Very winnable home game v Munster, who following week play a must win v racing to stay in race for Euro qf. I’m not remotely concerned re losing away at Lein, or an expected away defeat in clermont. I want us in good shape for a weakened bath in rd6.

I’m hoping for squad rotation where possible, and building this home record. Certainly avenging the Connacht loss, & turning over Munster would be a good Xmas.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Christmas Targets pre Euro fixtures

Post by justinr73 »

A lot of guys have earned this week off, that’s for sure.

However, I think we’ve then got to be revert to what we’ve been doing recently ie being more or less fully loaded for the next four games.

There’s a break after the Bath match.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Some players must be rested now - Marcell, JC, Marty Moore, possibly also Hendy, Luke Marshall, Stewart McCloskey and Billy Burns (can we now think of calling him King Billy?).
I would give Shananananana and Johnston a few matches together.
I can envisage a team for Leinster of Faddes, Kernohan, Stewart Moore, A Curtis, Gilroy, Johnston, Shanahan, Warwick, Andrew, O'Toole, A O'Connor, Treadwell, Rea, AN Other, Timoney with McBurney, McCall, Kane, D O'Connor, D McCann, Stewart, Houston, AN Other Other.
They might even pick more of the academy.
We have to be able to send a strong squad to Clermont and play our strongest against Bath. Apparently three more points will guarantee us a last eight place.
Bo***cks to Brexit
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Ladyboys (A)- send 2nd XV, rest all front liners. Particularly need to experiment at front row and half backs. Our 1st XV aren’t going to win this away either. Be realistic and Accept it, season or 2 too soon to think we have a chance even if they put out their own 2nds who are as good as most others 1st. Nil points.

Westies (H)- hybrid team with 2nd XV starting and big guns loaded on the bench should game look at risk. If we are progressing we need to be despatching teams like Connaught when at home with a hybrid team. 4 points min.

Turnips (H) - full XV. Need to make a big statement and get some bragging rights - 6N squad places up for grabs. 5 points in close match.

Clermont (A) - undecided. Not sure it’s worth a risk in a match highly unlikely to win at this stage of rebuilding for the big guns in front row and half backs. Lucky for a losing BP.

Bath (H) - full XV, smash them out the park regardless of what Bath send over. Make big statement to qualify for knock out stages prior to mid season break and 6N. Should be nothing short of 5 points.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I think we have to aim to win both Clermont and Bath games. No point in getting a QF away from home.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Watching Clermont currently with 40 points already by HT is worrying. At what cost is the risk going fully loaded worth it? Squad depth is not a strength. Losing a Marcel, Cooney or even Billy is near season ending. Pick your battles.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

TopPoster wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:05 pm Watching Clermont currently with 40 points already by HT is worrying. At what cost is the risk going fully loaded worth it? Squad depth is not a strength. Losing a Marcel, Cooney or even Billy is near season ending. Pick your battles.
You either have to win away at Clermont or away in the quarters. A home quarter is a massive prize though.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Suppose.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

I wonder if Callum Reid might get a chance, might be too early for him though. Lowry, Lyttle and Jack McGrath should be back over this period too and is Addison's ban up yet?
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

I am of the do what the rest do over Xmas ( including Leinster) school of thought send the youngster’s to play away at Leinster.
I am hoping to see Stewart Moore in that squad. I am hoping we will field two strong teams at home as we owe both Connacht and Munster one.
Unlike many on here I believe it is possible to win at The Stade Marcell Michelin, I was there the first time Ulster played there when I think we were robbed by a terrible decision by referee Pierce directly below where I was sitting. I don’t think the current Clermont Team is not as strong as some recent seasons and the Ulster teams ability to fight to the final whistle might just carry them through. It would not be easy but not impossible.
As has already been said a home Q/F would be a major achievement and none of the other participants would relish a trip to the Kingspan.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

TopPoster wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:05 pm Watching Clermont currently with 40 points already by HT is worrying. At what cost is the risk going fully loaded worth it? Squad depth is not a strength. Losing a Marcel, Cooney or even Billy is near season ending. Pick your battles.
What has Dan done this season that makes you think that we’ll chuck the Clermont game?

Look at the side we played against Scarlets.

We’ll beat Bath come what may.

We can have a rattle at Clermont with a lot to gain and nothing to lose.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:02 pm
What has Dan done this season that makes you think that we’ll chuck the Clermont game?

We can have a rattle at Clermont with a lot to gain and nothing to lose.
Nothing. I don’t think he will. Just a high risk game - chances of winning low. There’s not nothing to lose - on the contrary quite some to lose as in a few key positions we are currently 1 brick thick away from dire situation. Although, I could be persuaded by the fact we should put Bath away even with a weekend team and there is plenty of downtime feb and March during 6N and scattering of pro 14 matches for recoveries. Ah fack it - give it a lash then.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yes - that’s the spirit!

Cooney has as much chance of tripping over the dog as he does of getting broken in Clermont.

Plus I’m going and I want to have some hope of winning.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Silverstu wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:17 pm I wonder if Callum Reid might get a chance, might be too early for him though. Lowry, Lyttle and Jack McGrath should be back over this period too and is Addison's ban up yet?
Addison back for Connacht game.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Aird wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:59 pm I am of the do what the rest do over Xmas ( including Leinster) school of thought send the youngster’s to play away at Leinster.
I am hoping to see Stewart Moore in that squad. I am hoping we will field two strong teams at home as we owe both Connacht and Munster one.
Unlike many on here I believe it is possible to win at The Stade Marcell Michelin, I was there the first time Ulster played there when I think we were robbed by a terrible decision by referee Pierce directly below where I was sitting. I don’t think the current Clermont Team is not as strong as some recent seasons and the Ulster teams ability to fight to the final whistle might just carry them through. It would not be easy but not impossible.
As has already been said a home Q/F would be a major achievement and none of the other participants would relish a trip to the Kingspan.
Old Dave Pearson was the ref in Clermont 1st time who didn't spot Nathan Hines holding onto Chris Henry.