Ravenhill crowd/attendance

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ravenhill crowd/attendance

Post by Jackie Brown »

HammerTime wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:27 pm Nearly 1000 less than what the stadium was supposed to hold. What an absolute joke of an organisation UR are at times. I’ll say it again if the Aviva or Wembley was built with 10,000 seats less than what was planned for, there’d be....well, it just wouldn’t happen ffs.
How do we know it is less than the stadium is meant to hold? Remember the lying snake Logan was running the show then, exaggerating the capacity of the ground is a small fib compared with his usual bullsh**
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:51 pm 17,461 last night (22 less than the Connacht game)

17.5K seems to be the de facto capacity at present.
There were still a fair number of empty seats in all stands on Friday night, and terrace wasn't as packed as at some games I've experienced in the past. I reckon even if they said it was a sell out, there must have been quite a few that didn't turn up for whatever reason. I would estimate capacity is closer to 18K, if not the 18,196, as per official capacity*, or even the declared capacity / or, it's just with inevitable no-shows, there'll never quite be a capacity attendance.

Even Wemberly and Old Trafford (Footy, not clicket) never have capacity attendance even when all tickets are sold out. I doubt if any stadium ever does.

* If it's in wiki, it must be true >EW

** So who's gonna go into wiki and change it now, just for the hell of it?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

If I remember correctly when the stadium was first opened (after all refurbs complete) it went through several health and safety audits building up to the potential full capacity, unsure what number was ever achieved?

23/12/16 Vs Connacht Pro 14 - 17,613

Highest attendance I have found on Ulster website.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Aye. 18k was the mgic no..Minimum for a Pro14 final at the time but they seem to be favouring bigger venues now.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:25 pm Aye. 18k was the mgic no..Minimum for a Pro14 final at the time but they seem to be favouring bigger venues now.
Correct! The other milestone being 15,000 for a home Euro knockout tie.

The Pro14 records are as follows for Ulster (exclude European matches) - 11 games each season (inclusive of playoff/knockout)

2015-16
High 17,332
Low 12,640
Average 15,310

2016-17
High 17,676
Low 13,663
Average 15,961

2017-18
High 17,631
Low 12,291
Average 14,663

2018-19
High 17,358
Low 11,882
Average 13,835

Hopefully we can get back to 2016-17 figures :thumleft:
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Always important to remember that ‘sold out’ doesn’t necessarily mean capacity as some have mentioned. I had a comfortable night on the East terrace on Friday night when I was expecting it to be a bit hectic. Been the memorial stand bar pre and post match was moving quite freely. The place looks fairly full with only 14k in. Here’s to a continuation of decent attendances.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Ot only have the numbers picked up but the actual support within the ground has picked up too.
It is helped by the much more positive performance over the last few games. It seemed for a while that we were getting the 4 tries for the bonus point and then shopping up shop. Great to see that they are beginning to build on after 4 tries. The talk pre the Munster match was about the superior strength of the Munster Bench but our bench came on and held up there performance.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Welcome Ger. Yes, full never really means full.

The important number is the average attendance. Over 2,000 down from 16/17 to 18/19. I guess we're not up so far this year but we'll see how the second half of the season goes. With a bit of luck there might be an improvement from first half. As Aird says, indications so far seem good, if performances stay strong.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Aird basically at this time of year it is a case of if Ulster have a winning margin and a bonus point the key players are subbed quickly which has meant for the last 20 -15 minutes it has been a case of shutting up the shop with field position and possession the prime objectives rather than high risk chasing tries .

To many big games in quick succession . With a money games to come for a play off place in the European Cup.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Some guy has it on bakebook that Ulster rugby have set a terrace capacity of 3.3 persons per 1 metre square against the health and safety exec maximum allowance of 4.5 persons per metre square. Therefore opportunity is there to increase terrace capacity.

Not sure for those who dwell on the terrace how practical that would be?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:14 am Some guy has it on bakebook that Ulster rugby have set a terrace capacity of 3.3 persons per 1 metre square against the health and safety exec maximum allowance of 4.5 persons per metre square. Therefore opportunity is there to increase terrace capacity.

Backloading is a problem. Makes it very hard to identify space on the terraces

I see they now have wee feet on the floor of the lineout bar so you know where to stand. 😅

Have to say, 4.5/m2 looks a bit snug.

http://www.gkstill.com/Support/crowd-de ... ity-1.html
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Do you split the terrace up into four parts and sell tickets for each area ensuring even crowd distribution. Main issue is that everyone wants to stand centre.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

First come first serve for terrace spot always rewards those who want their favoured spot. It does make it difficult to fill it up just before kick off though. I’m not sure what the solution is. We found Friday very comfortable on the East terrace. There was room for 8-10 more on the step behind us but the space is impossible for the stewards to see in order to direct people in.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:51 am
UlsterNo9 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:14 am Some guy has it on bakebook that Ulster rugby have set a terrace capacity of 3.3 persons per 1 metre square against the health and safety exec maximum allowance of 4.5 persons per metre square. Therefore opportunity is there to increase terrace capacity.

Backloading is a problem. Makes it very hard to identify space on the terraces

I see they now have wee feet on the floor of the lineout bar so you know where to stand. 😅

Have to say, 4.5/m2 looks a bit snug.

http://www.gkstill.com/Support/crowd-de ... ity-1.html
Interesting reading :thumleft:

Seems Ulster are then well under the maximum allowance and could therefore support larger crowds which would make the 18,000 achievable, albeit managing the terrace crowd safety would be the challenge.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:56 am Do you split the terrace up into four parts and sell tickets for each area ensuring even crowd distribution. Main issue is that everyone wants to stand centre.
I like to get fairly deep in the 22 - would rather have an excellent view of some tries rather than a standard view of all of them.

Plus it's nearer the bar and the bogs.