Munster Game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ladyboy696969
Novice

Re: Munster Game

Post by ladyboy696969 »

That was very entertaining lads, well done. Fridays nights in the Kingspan is always something to look forward to.
From the start of the season I had Clermont at home to youse as a 5-0 dry rogering but now I'm not so sure.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Ref is a young lad -- Had a few ?? decisions for both sides -- some which signalled he wasn't a "homer" with 5 mins to go petty yellows are childish in my view..

It was a gutsy physical performance By the Ulster Pack where Munster's back row missed Stander big time while the absence of Marcel might have urged the Ulster back row into performing like a unit .

Ulster have usually a pack which can hold their own in the set but used to get bossed in the loose failing to guard the gain line on the first phase that was less evident last night --Munster frequently found the gain line hard to breach on first phase which indicts an improvement in the front 5 -- possibly it is down the maturity of the players -- because in recent years Ulster have had a very young 2nd row -- in Henderson Treadwell and O' Connor. The absence of Farrell also didn't assist Munster because there was an inability of the backs to get beyond the gain lime which he frequently provides for Munster.

The Ulster back row as a unit is now more mature and thus better acquainted with each other and their individual and collective roles.

There is now a certain consistency to the Ulster performance which was lacking with Kiss in charge -- with fewer changes in both centre and back row --- which really wrecked Ulster's defence in the past.

The fact is Munster last night failed because they are extremely limited in their backline . Their only try in the first half came from a set piece set play dummy run with 'semi block interference on the cover defence " thereafter their backs lacked ideas , maybe Carberry is not up to match fitness --physically and mentally .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

From also rans at the start of the season, Ulster are now 9/1 3rd favourites for the Pro14 with Munster at 9/2 2nd favourites.

Notwithstanding Munster should get a home semi against Ulster, the head to heads this season suggest the odds should maybe be a bit closer.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

The intensity we are witnessing is incredible. It might not be the most talented side ever fielded but by feck they are hungry. Of course on munsterfans, the win doesn't count because the '06 Munster side would have stuffed us.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Jackie Brown wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:42 pm Did Murray get on the bus to Belfast???
His pack didn't help but he continues to be a shadow of his former self. Time moves on and we will shortly see if the IRFU moves with it.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Evil Kiwi wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:08 am Of course on munsterfans, the win doesn't count because the '06 Munster side would have stuffed us.
In fairness I think you picked that up wrong. Someone said they needed to get back to traditional Munster style play. Another said that the game had moved on since then and that wasn't the answer. Then the original contributor came back and said the 06 Munster team would stuff the 20 Munster team.

I think the 06 Munster team would do well in this day and age, they just strangled teams back then, that still works. They don't have the muscle anymore though. We complain about were our forwards are coming from in the academy but Munster's conveyor belt has been even worse. And it used to be incredible. Who was the last forward international that Munster grew themselves?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

The `06 Munster team were a freak generation, not sure it's a fair comparison. That pack was probably on of the best the club game has seen and in RO'G they had an outhalf that suited the style of play perfectly. If that's their benchmark for acceptable it'll be a long time before they're happy.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:57 am
Evil Kiwi wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:08 am Of course on munsterfans, the win doesn't count because the '06 Munster side would have stuffed us.
In fairness I think you picked that up wrong. Someone said they needed to get back to traditional Munster style play. Another said that the game had moved on since then and that wasn't the answer. Then the original contributor came back and said the 06 Munster team would stuff the 20 Munster team.

I think the 06 Munster team would do well in this day and age, they just strangled teams back then, that still works. They don't have the muscle anymore though. We complain about were our forwards are coming from in the academy but Munster's conveyor belt has been even worse. And it used to be incredible. Who was the last forward international that Munster grew themselves?
They had four home-grown forwards in the RWC squad; POM, Kilcoyne, Scannell and John Ryan. Scannell is the youngest at 27, POM 29, Kilcoyne and Ryan 31.

Young guns Conor Murray and Keith Earls were the home-grown players in the backs.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Must say it is strange to read Munsterfans -- praise for Cooney and McCloskey -- and slating for Earls --

when the fact is Earls was only being true to Earls -- his defence has never been great -- and he's not going to do much if he never gets the ball.

I think the basic difference between the two backlines is the timing of passes --- Stockdale's to Cooney -- Marshall to Balocoume -- timing perfect also add to that McCloskey's to Matty Rea -- three trys to savour.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Cormac wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:32 pm
Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:57 am

They had four home-grown forwards in the RWC squad; POM, Kilcoyne, Scannell and John Ryan. Scannell is the youngest at 27, POM 29, Kilcoyne and Ryan 31.

Young guns Conor Murray and Keith Earls were the home-grown players in the backs.
Only POM could be considered first choice. The other 3 are lucky to make the international bench.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Probably the Munster players that impressed me the most were Daly at full back that I had never heard of, and Kilcoyne gave a bit of go forward when he came on. Without Leinster cast offs, one or two from Ulster and a lot of financial support from the IRFU they would be nowhere.

Ulster again with quite a few Leinster cast offs and a great coach are beginning to look streets ahead of them, able to take teams on with a forward based game, a side to side backs based game or a kicking game. Looking great for the future, and hopefully the future starts next week!
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Watched the recorded game after getting home from Ravenhill.
Even better!
Sipping "its not for sharing" xmas Glenmorangie, enjoying entire UR squad dong the business in every respect for every minute.
Isn't life wonderful at times!