'Doc' - David Irwin

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Loki
Warrior Assassin

'Doc' - David Irwin

Post by Loki »

With the Doc signing off after four decades tonight thought it might be nice to hear a few memories of his time with Ulster, Ireland and the Lions.

Loved the cheeky mention of the first Irish province to win Europe at the presentation tonight... A slightly less recent memory was of him 4/5 seasons back, pitch side at a standard Baltic, 98% empty Murrayfield bollocking absolutely everyone around him - touchies, ref and particularly the Ulster pack - into something resembling an acceptable performance. A surprisingly tempestuous rally to win soon followed!

:fleg:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: 'Doc' - David Irwin

Post by big mervyn »

Hard as nails as a player. I remember him turning up at our house to see a sick wean (doctors used to do that) the day after playing for Ulster against the touring All Blacks in the early 90s. His bake was black and blue. Scared the life out of the child :lol:

Also loved the fact he selected playing for the legendary Ulster team of the 80s as his career highlight over his exploits with Ireland and the Lions :red: :fleg:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

Cheers Merv - enjoyed that! :thumleft:

the parents swore our GP was the very finest for years after he came out to treat me overnight as a bairn. Decades of misdiagnoses after the fact did little to change their opinion. he wasn't a B&I Lion, sadly :lol:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Away at Toulouse in 2000/2001.
Topping breaks away in the final minutes. Hares down the wing to score. Just on the other side of the touchline runs team doctor, D.G. Irwin, screaming at him, waving his arms. Dr. Dave is having to check himself so as not to overrun the ball-carrier. I'm sure he was only shouting encouragement, but a little part of me suspects he was calling for the pass.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Wasn't he involved in the infamous Argentinian fleg incident in the early 80s?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
stu
Novice

Post by stu »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:50 am Wasn't he involved in the infamous Argentinian fleg incident in the early 80s?
Think it was him, Anderson and Rainey?